Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2002, 09:50 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Location: Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 427
Offline
Question bo

Does anyone know why ASU doesn't, routinely, pursue bodo? Maybe just my dojo? Thanks!

~~Paula~~
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,854
Offline
I don't think using a bo (~6' staff) is usually a part of one's aikido training -- at least in most aikido dojo.

I know that some ASU folks do the "Patrol Kata" (as can be seen in the latter part of Saotome sensei's "Staff of Aikido" video tape) using a bo.

Also, many people who have studied under Hikitsuchi sensei often practice with a bo including kata like bo ikkyo and bo nikyo.

I don't believe the founder really ever practiced with a bo; I believe most of his "staff" experience came from yari rather than jo or bo.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
Richard Elliott
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 47
Offline
Re: bo

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
Does anyone know why ASU doesn't, routinely, pursue bodo? Maybe just my dojo? Thanks!
In Sensei Robertson's (Seidokan) dojo, we didn't practice with the bo regularly, but periodically we would and at a certain level, around nikyu, you were expected to perform the kata that Kobayashi sensei developed.

In the Nishio sensei school I attended the use of the bo and jo was very important. They were very useful in helping me to better do regular Aikido techniques. Many times, I would have problems doing shihonage, kotegaeshi, nikyo, or whatever, and taking the time to do them with the bo or jo made me focus more on the overall movement and less on what my hands, or feet, or hips were doing.

I had to focus more when using the weapons.

Respectfully, Richard
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 08:58 PM   #4
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,087
United_States
Offline
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
I don't think using a bo (~6' staff) is usually a part of one's aikido training -- at least in most aikido dojo.

I know that some ASU folks do the "Patrol Kata" (as can be seen in the latter part of Saotome sensei's "Staff of Aikido" video tape) using a bo.

Also, many people who have studied under Hikitsuchi sensei often practice with a bo including kata like bo ikkyo and bo nikyo.

I don't believe the founder really ever practiced with a bo; I believe most of his "staff" experience came from yari rather than jo or bo.

-- Jun
I think that the Hikitsuchi folks are really the only ones who do Aiki-bo seriously. FWIW, Hikitsuchi apparently has a very nicely illustrated scroll from M. Ueshiba giving him menkyo kaiden in Aiki-bo (don't know how much he actually did himself, though).

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:31 PM   #5
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,854
Offline
Quote:
Christopher Li (Chris Li) wrote:
I think that the Hikitsuchi folks are really the only ones who do Aiki-bo seriously.
That's been my thoughts and experience as well.

Although my personal experience with him has been limited, I, for one, have never seen Nishio sensei use the bo; the bokuto/iaito and jo, yes (as he's quite well versed in iaido and has done some jodo) -- but not the bo.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 03:51 PM   #6
aikilouis
Location: Germany
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 218
France
Offline
The Bo of the Founder as it is practiced by Hikitsushi Sensei's "folks" (for example, Gerard Blaize's students in Europe) is called Masakatsu Bojutsu It was transmitted by O Sensei to Hikitsushi Sensei, as shown on a makimono where is written :

Hikitsushi Michio

Dono Showa 32 (1957)

Dosho Ueshiba Morihei (signed)

Bo-Jutsu Masakatsu Okui Soden.

We do practice it regularly at our dojo, and learned as kata (I've just finished learning the first one, which is necessary to receive shodan, even though I won't pretend to know it).

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:19 AM   #7
Bronson
 
Bronson's Avatar
Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Location: Battle Creek & Kalamazoo, MI
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,677
Offline
Quote:
...at a certain level, around nikyu, you were expected to perform the kata that Kobayashi sensei developed.
Kobayashi sensei developed a bo kata?

I wasn't aware that he did that. Would it be possible to get some info on it? I'd love to see it and learn it. I know the seidokan 1st and 2nd bokken and jo kata and am re-learning both the 3rd bokken and jo kata but have never even heard that there might be a formal seidokan bo kata. Any info you want to send my way would be greatly appreciated

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 02:40 AM   #8
Mathias
 
Mathias's Avatar
Dojo: Meiseikai
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 31
Offline
Exclamation Re: Re: bo

Quote:
Richard Elliott wrote:
In Sensei Robertson's (Seidokan) dojo, we didn't practice with the bo regularly, but periodically we would and at a certain level, around nikyu, you were expected to perform the kata that Kobayashi sensei developed.

In the Nishio sensei school I attended the use of the bo and jo was very important. They were very useful in helping me to better do regular Aikido techniques. Many times, I would have problems doing shihonage, kotegaeshi, nikyo, or whatever, and taking the time to do them with the bo or jo made me focus more on the overall movement and less on what my hands, or feet, or hips were doing.

I had to focus more when using the weapons.
Hi there, Are you sure you train with a bo? I also train at a Nishio Sensei school and we only use the Jo and the bokken.

// Mathias
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 AM   #9
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Location: Barnegaat, NJ
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 893
Offline
There is another approach to using bo, jo, bokken, or any other extension of your body, you should be able to adapt any object or weapon into your techniques, your kata, or practice.

This was the philosophy of teaching by my first teacher in martial arts, and it has opened my eyes to making various objects work as extensions of techniques.

There are, of course, variations within the practice of particular weapons that do translate into seldom used movements of empty hand practice, but then that is the interesting part of the journey.

So remember ... what ever you learn should be able to be transferred to any weapon you pick up, with appropriate variations, of course.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:34 AM   #10
Williamross77
 
Williamross77's Avatar
Dojo: aikido of shreveport
Location: Shreveport, Lousiana
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 143
United_States
Offline
I trained with Bill Sosa's Organization ( he first taught Roberton Sensei) they were long time members of Seidokan and I have not seen a BO persay.

in Aiki
Agatsu!!
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate