Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo - Tokyo Takumakai
France
Lightbulb Video Interview: Peter Goldsbury on the History of Aikido

This is the second part of my meeting with Professor Peter Goldsbury, where he discusses the history of Aikido. Enjoy!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Video Interview: Peter Goldsbury on the History of Aikido

Great interview! Good work, Guillaume! Dr. Goldsbury is a goldmine of information - second to none. Bravo!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Guillaume Erard
France

Quote:
Ethan Weisgard wrote: View Post
Great interview! Good work, Guillaume! Dr. Goldsbury is a goldmine of information - second to none. Bravo!
Thanks a lot Ethan! We are planing to shoot some more of these soon

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
akiy

Quote:
Guillaume Erard wrote: View Post
Thanks a lot Ethan! We are planing to shoot some more of these soon
Perhaps a series akin to "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" -- only, with Peter, it could be "Aikidoka in Small Restaurants Getting Okonomiyaki"?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
Guillaume Erard
France

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Perhaps a series akin to "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" -- only, with Peter, it could be "Aikidoka in Small Restaurants Getting Okonomiyaki"?

-- Jun
I have a bunch of GoPros, Peter has a car. The question is, is the world really ready for it?

Old 12-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
sorokod
United Kingdom

A question to Peter Goldsbury, have any of the Doshus other than the the founder been practicing Omoto ?

Old 12-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
A question to Peter Goldsbury, have any of the Doshus other than the the founder been practicing Omoto ?
Hello David,

Not to my knowledge. Kisshomaru Ueshiba always explained Omoto as his father's own private spiritual pastime and the present Doshu appears to follow his own father's practice of keeping any private religious pursuits he might have completely separate from being Doshu.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

An excellent interview; Prof. Goldsboro provides insightful comments and analysis.....I wonder, however, about the lack of mention of the pre-war organizations that continued their aikido practices after the war, as well as the influence on the spread of aikido outside of Japan by Tohei Sensei. Perhaps it was not politic to comment on these things. I remember a quote which I cannot cite in which O Sensei told someone that aikido was not to be kept in the iemoto system, that it was for the world and for the individual to express their own aikido. Kisshomaru and his descendants seem to have been the mainstay in keeping aikido as an Ueshiba intellectual property, that is, to applying iemoto to aikido.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Steven Shimanek wrote: View Post
An excellent interview; Prof. Goldsboro provides insightful comments and analysis.....I wonder, however, about the lack of mention of the pre-war organizations that continued their aikido practices after the war, as well as the influence on the spread of aikido outside of Japan by Tohei Sensei. Perhaps it was not politic to comment on these things. I remember a quote which I cannot cite in which O Sensei told someone that aikido was not to be kept in the iemoto system, that it was for the world and for the individual to express their own aikido. Kisshomaru and his descendants seem to have been the mainstay in keeping aikido as an Ueshiba intellectual property, that is, to applying iemoto to aikido.
PAG. I have a few comments.

I think I did mention the efforts of Kisshomaru to restart aikido after the war in Japan. His first approach was to use those locations where there had been Omoto activity, as had happened in Iwama. The land purchased there by Morihei Ueshiba was purchased via his Omoto connections.

From 1942, Morihei Ueshiba was holed up in Iwama, doing ‘aiki-farming’ with the Saitos and generally keeping his head down to avoid the gaze of General MacArthur and the US occupation forces, who were casting around for potential war criminals (Ueshiba’s record as a martial arts teacher in all the military schools would not have helped here).

So it fell to Kisshomaru, who had kept the Tokyo dojo going until it was used to house refugees from the allied bombing, to expand operations when it seemed OK to do so. Yoshinkan was also restarting under Gozo Shioda and Kisshomaru was uncomfortably aware that the Tokyo dojo had to be restarted as soon as possible, to maintain the ‘mother house’ in its original prewar location.

Kisshomaru states in Aikido Ichiro that he also had the plan to take aikido to the victor countries to show them that there was still something ‘good’ in Japanese culture, in spite of the opprobrium in which Japan was held because of her wartime exploits. So, yes, Tohei Koichi was instrumental in taking aikido to Hawai’i and the US mainland and he prepared the ground for Yoshimitsu Yamada and later still by Mitsunari Kanai to reside there. I can remember first meeting Kisshomaru Ueshiba in the USA in 1974. Though we were not told at the time, he was visiting the USA on his way to meet Koichi Tohei in Hawai’i. Whether he thought a breach could be avoided, I do not know. Since their training and teaching styles were so different, I doubt it, but it should also be noted that the tension had started as early as 1969, when Kisshomaru was chosen as the second Doshu (he was actually elected in accordance with the constitution of the Aikikai Foundation).

Despite his reservations about the iemoto system, it is clear that for Morihei Ueshiba, any successor would have had to be someone who married into the Ueshiba family, and it was this requirement that put off a number of potential candidates. Nakakura was one and Mochizuki was another.

I myself knew Kisshomaru Ueshiba, though he was something of a remote figure. He also disliked iemoto and the iemoto system and did not think that aikido fitted the model. I have heard the term commonly used only by the present Doshu.

So I think you have to compare the system as it is represented in traditional arts like ikebana and sado – with a modern art like aikido and also with something like nativism (kokugaku: 国学), which is an ideology that claimed a similar kind of traditional lineage. If you have not heard of him, the scholar who has done much research on the system itself and its various manifestations is Nishiyama Matsunosuke (西山松之助), though none of it has been translated into English.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-06-2016 at 07:38 AM.

P A Goldsbury

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!