Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #26
kewms
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,316
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Please explain how would you technically train against a sucker punch?! Anybody can get sucker punched if they are careless or simply unaware of what is happening around them?
What kind of martial artist views "careless" and "unaware" as acceptable states?

And if you are careless and unaware, why on earth would you expect any technique to be available in time?

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 AM   #27
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Location: Fukuoka
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 60
Japan
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Please define a swing because from what i understand yokomenuchi is basically a defense against a swing, be it empty handed or with a weapon.
Yokomenuchi starts as a sword cut from above the head, but goes in a curve to cut at an angle, instead of straight. Youtube can educate you as to the types of punches seen in fights, but they don't look like yokomenuchi.

This is why I'm interested in this kind of training, coming from someone who has been attacked enough times as a bouncer or police officer, for example, and hence why I'm interested in Sly's videos.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #28
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Location: Novi Sad
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 96
Serbia
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
What kind of martial artist views "careless" and "unaware" as acceptable states?
Most people, who train in martial arts, are not the primary example of a warrior with all of the psychological traits. The fact is you could be walking down the street thinking about your job, family, training and somebody comes up to you and says "Excuse me. My phone battery died. Can you tell me what time it is?" you say "Sure, it's..." BAM. You wouldn't even know what hit you. Not to mention other situations, after drinks, exhaustion after a hard training, day at the job etc. Even in the old days warriors where killed in ambushes.

Quote:
And if you are careless and unaware, why on earth would you expect any technique to be available in time?
Certain techniques like Ikkyo are always available. What i was asking is how would he technically train against a sucker punch not what specific technique he could use. The fact is anybody can be punched like that, the only thing you can do is work on your movement, body positioning, so you don't stand right in front of somebody on the street, Maai or distance between you and the person you are talking to and most importantly to get your hands up as fast as possible. Again these aren't some technical specifics just some pointers which again don't have to actually make a difference but can come in handy.

Last edited by MrIggy : 06-07-2016 at 08:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #29
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,073
Spain
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Amos Barnett wrote: View Post
This is why I'm interested in this kind of training, coming from someone who has been attacked enough times as a bouncer or police officer, for example, and hence why I'm interested in Sly's videos.
If you want to learn how to deal with common attacks you need to train with people who throw them at you in an alive environment. Sly's videos are going to be as useful for that purpose.as watching The Matrix for learning Kung Fu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #30
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Location: Novi Sad
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 96
Serbia
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Amos Barnett wrote: View Post
Yokomenuchi starts as a sword cut from above the head, but goes in a curve to cut at an angle, instead of straight.
That's a good explanation of the correct technical execution of the Yokomenuchi attack, but what i was referring to was the entry. If we are talking about a swing and not a hook punch the entry, sankaku tai, that serves to stop a Yokomenuchi can stop a swing punch because with a swing punch the attacker has to open his guard more in order to gather more momentum in the punch which means opening in the shoulder and elbow. It's a double edged sword, the more you open the more force you will have but also the greater chance is that your opponent can counter you. Mike Tyson used that punch many times in his matches, everybody would call them hooks because they didn't know any better, he would also get countered many times but that didn't do him any harm and his opponents where usually knocked out because of the massive force that he would gather and off course because he was a strong ferocious puncher.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #31
kewms
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,316
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Most people, who train in martial arts, are not the primary example of a warrior with all of the psychological traits. The fact is you could be walking down the street thinking about your job, family, training and somebody comes up to you and says "Excuse me. My phone battery died. Can you tell me what time it is?" you say "Sure, it's..." BAM. You wouldn't even know what hit you. Not to mention other situations, after drinks, exhaustion after a hard training, day at the job etc. Even in the old days warriors where killed in ambushes.
Sure, but isn't the whole idea to avoid such lapses of attention?

Quote:
Certain techniques like Ikkyo are always available. What i was asking is how would he technically train against a sucker punch not what specific technique he could use. The fact is anybody can be punched like that, the only thing you can do is work on your movement, body positioning, so you don't stand right in front of somebody on the street, Maai or distance between you and the person you are talking to and most importantly to get your hands up as fast as possible.
If you're managing distance and body positioning, then by definition you're not "careless" and "unaware."

And ikkyo absolutely is not going to be available to defend against a true sucker punch that you don't see coming. You throw your hands up in a "flinch" reaction and the attack drives right through them.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #32
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Location: Novi Sad
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 96
Serbia
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Sure, but isn't the whole idea to avoid such lapses of attention?
Yes, but that doesn't mean that you develop biological resistance to such situations. Like i said, even in the old days warriors where killed in ambushes.

Quote:
If you're managing distance and body positioning, then by definition you're not "careless" and "unaware."
Neither did i say that. What i said was that those are some pointers which again don't have to actually make a difference but can come in handy.

Quote:
And ikkyo absolutely is not going to be available to defend against a true sucker punch that you don't see coming. You throw your hands up in a "flinch" reaction and the attack drives right through them.
Like i said, some techniques, like Ikkyo, are always available. The fact is that you can't defend yourself against a sucker punch but you can defend yourself in the aftermath if the attacker doesn't simply wan't to hit and run (or hit, steal and run). Also raising your hands can indeed prevent your attacker from landing a second and third punch and help you create distance from him/her by landing a couple of punches of you own or by simply pushing them away. I know this from experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #33
jonreading
 
jonreading's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,073
United_States
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

I think Katherine is trying to point out that you are describing a "whotif" scenario that probably has no answer because of the way the scenario is constructed. Yes, people are vulnerable to well-planned surprise attacks. Hope for luck and recover as quickly as possible.

For me, I advocate individuals who intend to get into physical confrontation need to participant in sparring. Mostly, you need to get used to the discomfort and affect fighting has on your body - hormones, pain, injury, fatigue, vision, hearing, balance. Even the best trained sport fighters can walk into a punch that ends the fight. To consider a scenario where you first take an undefended blow (kick or punch) and then react from that is a fight scenario for which most of us are not trained.

Also, I am not sure I would say that ikkyo is always available. Nor does hands up = ikkyo. Getting up hands to defend yourself is critical, but I am not sure I am going to call that a technique.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #34
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Location: Novi Sad
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 96
Serbia
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Also, I am not sure I would say that ikkyo is always available. Nor does hands up = ikkyo. Getting up hands to defend yourself is critical, but I am not sure I am going to call that a technique.
Nor did i say hands up = Ikkyo, like i wrote earlier, "raising your hands can indeed prevent your attacker from landing a second and third punch and help you create distance from him/her by landing a couple of punches of you own or by simply pushing them away". I will be more precise, i know this from my experience.

As far as techniques go, Ikkyo is the fundamental technique and from my experience it's always available but it depends on the way it's trained and used.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #35
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Location: Fukuoka
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 60
Japan
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
If you want to learn how to deal with common attacks you need to train with people who throw them at you in an alive environment. Sly's videos are going to be as useful for that purpose.as watching The Matrix for learning Kung Fu.
Yup, that's why I said in my post "I'm interested in this kind of training." In Sly's case, he has been on the receiving end of violence, which makes what he has to say and what he considers to be of value to be something of interest. The same goes for being interested in what policemen who practice Aikido say, or other people in security fields who do.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #36
Cromwell
Dojo: North Sydney Aikido
Location: Sydney
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 19
Australia
Offline
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

Although Sly's is rather unorthodox and can vulgar. He's Aikido is actually good. I would say it would be more effective than some of the Aikido I've seen out there. Remember this Tenshin Aikido has a strong 'combat' concepts.

Always Good Aikido
Technique, Psychology and Strategy

http://goodaikido.com
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking For A Combative Oriented Aikido School in NY matrixdutch General 23 08-20-2009 10:59 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2016 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2016 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate