Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-14-2002, 06:55 AM   #26
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
I think one of the reasons that talking is discouraged in class is for the very reason that Wynad notes above; that of a beginner instructing another beginner.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:12 AM   #27
mike lee
in the beginning

Quote:
In our dojo we have a fixed senior line and a rotating junior line. The senior student is expected to help the junior understand what is happening, help with the technique and keep the training rythme. Sometimes that requires more verbal, sometimes less. Sometimes the senior speaks too much, sometimes too little. It's a learning experience for both
That's exactly what I wanted to say, but you saved me the time and trouble of forming the words. This method of practice is especially useful if you have a large batch of beginners (20 or more) coming in periodically.

Nevertheless, I like to throw the higher-ranked students a bone and let them practice together at the end of each training session (about 30 minutes).

I also publicly thank the higher-ranked students for helping to teach the new students, lest good deeds go unapprecieated.

Also, I often demonstrate techniques using a beginner so that the higher-ranked students will see how to practice with a new student. (It's not about showing off right?)

There's a lot of talking, but it saves me an awful lot of trouble, and I'm quite amazed at how quickly everybody learns. It also gives the higher-ranked students a sense of value and gives them the opportunity to learn by teaching.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:10 AM   #28
beknapp
I see the majority is leaning toward "seldom" - it would be interesting to know how many times people think they are getting corrected, for comparison.

I don't like correcting because I want to think about my own practice, not theirs. Unless it is my job for the class, which seldom happens
Old 11-16-2002, 10:53 AM   #29
Ta Kung
Quote:
I don't like correcting because I want to think about my own practice, not theirs.
A bit too ego, I think. And besides, if someone had a great tip for you (who was more senior etc), wouldn't you like to hear it? And how much does it really distract you from your own training? A few seconds, tops.

/Patrik
Old 11-27-2002, 08:44 AM   #30
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
At the Aikido Center of Tainan they do talk quite abit. a very chinese way in that although the teacher gets a lot of respect (often called superman in english cuz he is 68 years old running circles around the young guys).. Even as a white belt though I have been asked, "do you feel pain or presure" or "hai tong ma?" . I don't speak enough chinese to speak a lot, so I simple say yes or no.

Cheers.

ryan
Old 11-27-2002, 09:49 AM   #31
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Hi Barbara,

I tend to agree with you; unless I have been told it is my duty for the class to correct a partner, it does interupt my training to do so. I'm in kind of a wierd place right now regarding responsibility most of the time, so its not as simple as it used to be. But I think for most students, if you are training, you are not teaching. I know the 7th dan where I got my first kyu used to be pretty strict about that.

Actually, if both shite and uke pay close attention during practise, it is possible to pick up a lot from each other without talking at all. I try to focus on my partner in such a way as to lead a jr student through the technique as I understand it, and to follow a sr. student through the technique in the same way. No words are really necessary if I use the correct focus and intent.

Of course, different strokes for different folks, and different instructors might prefer a different method. I certainly wouldn't blame ego for your method.

Ron Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

Cognard Shihan 8th Dan - Cognard Andre Shihan 8th Dan (Hanshi, DNBK) in VA, CA, AZ (June 2014)