Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Peter Boylan
United_States
Budo Is Not About Techniques

Budo isn't really about techniques. Any system of budo is more than that, but if it's not the techniques, what is it? In this blog post, I argue that the purpose of studying techniques is to learn the principles that animate them.
http://budobum.blogspot.com/2016/04/...technique.html
What do you think? Do you get hung up on the techniques and miss the principles?

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com
Old 04-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Budo Is Not About Techniques

For the moment, I will strip out the assumption that we are doing budo when we practice aikido. Some of us are, some of us are not. Whatever.- it's maybe a complication that is not needed here.

There is a contingent of aikido people who strongly favor the identification of aikido as a deduction of kata. Heck, most of our ranking is based upon this perspective. Aiki itself being somewhat nebulous for some people, this perspective gives practitioners some foundation to claim they are doing aiki(do). Something like, "if technique A is aikido and technique B is aikido, and I can perform both techniques, then I am doing aikido." I think this perspective has trouble when the discussion elevates beyond what is defined as aikido because you cannot deduce what doesn't exist. It also has difficulty if you challenge, or find fault with, the base assumptions (i.e. technique A is aikido).

The truth of the matter is most of us don't practice at a level where our technique has aiki and by doing the technique we are "doing aiki(do)." Without aiki in the technique, this perspective is false anyway. With exception to some high-level dojos who have individuals using aiki, most of us just don't have that kind of pressure in our training. We've probably all experienced the failed technique that we justified as bad uke, or off-day, or whatever; maybe if we were honest we recognized that it was simply because our technique did not have aiki. This is not to diminish the effectiveness of good jujutsu, which we sometimes use to mask bad aiki; rather, just to point out that much of our movement is not aiki, therefore not aiki(do).

Aikido is hard. I think critically understanding that every time we move we are not one with the universe is required to appreciate the difficulty of what we do. I also think understanding that kata is on the path to training and not the path itself is required to understand how to craft a path of training that achieves a desired outcome. Sometimes, training to be successful is not as attractive as changing the metrics of success.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!