Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #1
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Danzan Ryu Jujutsu—What exactly is it?

Quote:
It appears that you have not posted here in a few weeks.
Given that I think it might have been almost ten years since I've posted, that's kind of a humorous understatement.

What's the general assessment of Danzan-ryu Jujutsu? I'm thinking about studying aikido at a dojo also known for Danzan-ryu. Without being impolite, is it…legitimate? Or is that a sign that I should steer clear of that entire dojo?

(I was about to make a joke along the lines of, "Or is it some kind of ridiculous 'koryu' that mysteriously appeared in the early 20th century". I decided against doing so, first because it seemed disrespectful, and then because I realized that pretty much encompassed aikido and Daito-ryu.)

So, yeah. What's the word on Danzan-ryu? Is it universally regarded as Crazytown? Is it a vague umbrella term for a "style" that isn't really regulated or overseen by any respectable central authority? Is it a pretty regimented style, such that (for good or ill) I can know what to expect?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Danzan Ryu Jujutsu—What exactly is it?

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
Given that I think it might have been almost ten years since I've posted, that's kind of a humorous understatement.

What's the general assessment of Danzan-ryu Jujutsu? I'm thinking about studying aikido at a dojo also known for Danzan-ryu. Without being impolite, is it…legitimate? Or is that a sign that I should steer clear of that entire dojo?

(I was about to make a joke along the lines of, "Or is it some kind of ridiculous 'koryu' that mysteriously appeared in the early 20th century". I decided against doing so, first because it seemed disrespectful, and then because I realized that pretty much encompassed aikido and Daito-ryu.)

So, yeah. What's the word on Danzan-ryu? Is it universally regarded as Crazytown? Is it a vague umbrella term for a "style" that isn't really regulated or overseen by any respectable central authority? Is it a pretty regimented style, such that (for good or ill) I can know what to expect?
You may want to check out e-budo.com, perhaps try their search first: http://www.e-budo.com/search.php

Old 01-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

I have never heard anybody try to characterize Aikido as a koryu art....mainly because the adulation of O'Sensei in Aikido ranks would be utterly counter to it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post

Danzan Ryu is the Hawaiian style jiu jitsu. My Sensei actually studied it under Okazaki Sensei. That being said, I might be slightly suspicious about a mainland dojo that teaches it, as I understand it is kept strictly as a Hawaiian art. He does not teach Danzan Ryu to any of his students here, as none of us are Hawaiian.

--Ashley
Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Ellis Amdur

Ashley - that is not correct. It certainly might be true of one faction of Danzan-ryu, that claims exclusivity. BUT - Okazaki was Japanese American, and he developed Danzan-ryu from a synthesis of his experiences with various jujutsu koryu, judo and the interplay of a collective of other martial artists in the Hawaiian Islands. It has been taught in the mainland for many decades. There are a lot of a lot of factions But a lot of legit.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Ashley - that is not correct. It certainly might be true of one faction of Danzan-ryu, that claims exclusivity. BUT - Okazaki was Japanese American, and he developed Danzan-ryu from a synthesis of his experiences with various jujutsu koryu, judo and the interplay of a collective of other martial artists in the Hawaiian Islands. It has been taught in the mainland for many decades. There are a lot of a lot of factions But a lot of legit.
Sorry, Ellis, you're correct. I was confusing danzan-ryu with Lua.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I have never heard anybody try to characterize Aikido as a koryu art....mainly because the adulation of O'Sensei in Aikido ranks would be utterly counter to it.
You're quite right. I suppose I meant "inasmuch as aikido people sometimes talk about aikido as coming from the ancient art of Daito-ryu, which might not be so ancient after all".

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Wow! I think I forgot to check back on my thread after posting it in January. Ellis Amdur posted in my thread!

Thank you. I've actually just started training at a Danzan-ryu dojo, and so far, it seems like a great place. It might be helpful for me, in that I'm so uncoordinated and bad at learning things "instinctively" that I had a very hard time making any progress in judo or BJJ. I think I'm the kind of person who needs some kata to learn the "which foot where" part of things; when I try to "just learn it as you do it", I develop awful technique very slowly. With some more kata, I feel like I can develop passable technique very slowly. Perhaps more importantly, I'm "traditionalist" enough that, without meaning any slight against these people, I find the gym-like atmosphere of most BJJ places just insufficiently engaging. I see a lot of value in dojo that emphasize the idea of budo, and view their practice with a certain moral seriousness. More directly, the people at this dojo seem like very nice people who love what they practice, and do so with a certain (grounded) reverence for the opportunity afforded them by past generations of students and teachers who have conveyed the art to the present time. On the very first day, I heard them say two things that I strongly believe in:

(1) Confidence without arrogance, humility without low self-esteem
(2) Teachers should strive for their students to surpass them (not stay in their shadow forever telling hagiographic stories about the legends of old, with less and less true mastery behind the stories with each generation)

I'm in no position to really comment on the art, but it seems like what BJJ people call JJJ or Traditional Jujutsu. Some elements are reminiscent of aikido, though the ma-ai is much closer. Again, though, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

I'm honestly a little embarrassed at my January post. It sounds monumentally snobby/arrogant/ignorant in retrospect.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:14 AM   #8
Jisen Aiki
Dojo: Isoyama American Aikido Academy
United_States

I love the syllabus in Danzan ryu. It seems practical

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!