Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #1
chris87
England
Hardly any weapons training

Hi guys

last year i started training in the iwama ryu sytle of aikido for about 3 months and the club folded due to lack of interest and after that i joined another club in the shobu organisation following the foundations laid out by sensei tamura but i was just getting in to the weapons side of things with iwama and joining a club to hardly any at all even when we do its basic suburi thats it...its a big difference training mostly taijutsu and hardly any weapon training...I was always led to believe that weapons are just as important as empty hand so you can relate the two together..is this a bad thing?? ive looked round as well and the nearest club i can find that does 50% weapons and 50% empty hand is 45 mins away which is a fair run...or shall i just suck up to it and learn some jodo/iaido later down the line?

thanks
chris
Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Hardly any weapons training

45 miles - I used to walk that for weapons class - in a blizzard.

Seriously I drove that once a week for weapons because at the time I thought my aikido needed the complement. Ironically it was very rare to touch weapons below shodan in my style in Japan but at sandan its quite important.

Short story - I do think weapons have their place BUT you can advance quite well without them. If you like the idea - a 45 mile drive once a week is not a killer.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

You probably won't get the same experience from jodo/iai.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:09 AM   #4
chris87
England

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
You probably won't get the same experience from jodo/iai.
thanks for that mate but i think ive sorted it ive got in touch with a guy who has a dojo in his back garden and offered to teach 3hr session just on weapons but ive been advised to be cautious with coming from a different organisation that trains taijutsu differently to this guy whos teaching me weapons...been told i might get confused relating the weapon practice into my taijutsu dont know how true that is??
Old 01-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Christian Brownlow wrote: View Post
thanks for that mate but i think ive sorted it ive got in touch with a guy who has a dojo in his back garden and offered to teach 3hr session just on weapons but ive been advised to be cautious with coming from a different organisation that trains taijutsu differently to this guy whos teaching me weapons...been told i might get confused relating the weapon practice into my taijutsu dont know how true that is??
I think there's merit to this. Assuming that there IS weapons practice somewhere in the aikido you're studying, and if (as you say) you want to train in weapons to relate it to your taijutsu, then you need to go with what your style teaches. You're fairly new to this, and suburi is not unreasonable for you to be doing at this point. If that's all your school teaches to students at any level, well, that's another matter. But as far as "relating the weapons practice into [your] taijutsu", if that's really what you're after, you won't be saying "it's only suburi" - there's plenty to be learned there. If suburi is all that will ever be available to you at your school (which seems unlikely, but is possible), and you want a school that teaches more weapons, a 45 minute drive is nothing. It is what I drive every day to go to the dojo.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
NagaBaba

Quote:
Hi guys

last year i started training in the iwama ryu sytle of aikido for about 3 months and the club folded due to lack of interest and after that i joined another club in the shobu organisation following the foundations laid out by sensei tamura but i was just getting in to the weapons side of things with iwama and joining a club to hardly any at all even when we do its basic suburi thats it...its a big difference training mostly taijutsu and hardly any weapon training...I was always led to believe that weapons are just as important as empty hand so you can relate the two together..is this a bad thing?? ive looked round as well and the nearest club i can find that does 50% weapons and 50% empty hand is 45 mins away which is a fair run...or shall i just suck up to it and learn some jodo/iaido later down the line?

thanks
chris
If I was you, I would start intensive iaido practice immediately in parallel to your aikido practice and keep it at least 10 years. Without practice sword your aikido would be distorted.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 01-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Iwama weapons compliment Iwama Aikido best of all. Ki Society Taigi is different, Shodokan kata are different, etc. Other styles of Aikido will benefit, but the devil will be in the details. Senior students can make the jump a little more easily. Years ago I moved far away from my Aikido dojo and tried tai chi "because they were both circular." Switching from bokken to Yang sabre for a while too. It was deeply frustrating then; 25 years later I don't regret it but it slowed me down.

Starting Aikido and modern Kendo at the same time will be difficult and the two do not inform each other much and call for different reflexes and movements. Okinawan kobudo weapons like tonfa and sai can compliment most styles of karate very well, but aikido movements are usually different. In extreme cases, it's like asking if archery and fencing will make you a better wrestler or boxer. There are benefits, but not always a direct link. Crossing cultures and styles can be an interesting exercise that provides some insight, but the two aren't always going to speak the same language.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:15 AM   #8
jamesf
Dojo: Kitsap Aikido, Poulsbo, WA
United_States

Are there any British Birankai dojos within reasonable traveling distance of your home? Weapons are considered a very important part of the late T.K. Chiba's curriculum, and survives on in the organization he left behind.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
James Frankiewicz wrote: View Post
Are there any British Birankai dojos within reasonable traveling distance of your home? Weapons are considered a very important part of the late T.K. Chiba's curriculum, and survives on in the organization he left behind.
James,
The enquire can check out the British Birankai web page for info.The is also collection of Weapons dvds of Chiba Senseis weapons work which can be purchased from me. Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
The way you use your body in different arts is different - so if you are going to get into some art other than AIkido, it would be best to keep the two practices separate in your head.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!