Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
ejwagneresq
Dojo: San Shu Kan
Canada
Injuries

Whether due to our own deficient practice or just plain old bad luck, injuries are a fact of training. I would like to see some discussion of injuries, training with injuries, and recovery from injuries.

To start off the discussion, I would like to discuss plantar fasciitis. I have recently developed this in one foot, presumably from overdoing suwari waza. I have trained several times since this started and the pain keeps getting worse, so I am taking a day or two off to stretch and rest the foot and see how it goes. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Injuries

I've had plantar fasciitis. Like any kind of tendinitis, it's hard to get over, it takes time and usually a multifaceted approach. I'm afraid that while a day or two off may relieve some of the pain for daily activity, it probably won't go far towards solving the problem -- but it may help you develop some awareness of problematic movement patterns.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
ejwagneresq
Dojo: San Shu Kan
Canada

I hate long recoveries! I think I was givin' er too hard on suwari waza while doing yonkyo during a pre-test or maybe the hanmi handachi shihonage (always hard for me in ura), but it's hard to know for sure since symptoms did not manifest immediately.

You are right about injuries being an opportunity to evaluate form.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Eric Wagner wrote: View Post
Whether due to our own deficient practice or just plain old bad luck, injuries are a fact of training. I would like to see some discussion of injuries, training with injuries, and recovery from injuries.

To start off the discussion, I would like to discuss plantar fasciitis. I have recently developed this in one foot, presumably from overdoing suwari waza. I have trained several times since this started and the pain keeps getting worse, so I am taking a day or two off to stretch and rest the foot and see how it goes. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Crikey - I have exactly the same problem - but don't think it is from suwari-waza. I just do not know its cause but I suspect shoes. Others I know have similar problems and I wonder if something in shoe tech has changed of late? I don't know. The best relief for me is deep foot massage and less standing. I don't think Aikido is the cause - not even suwari-waza, which actually stretches the feet as some sites seem to recommend. Rather, my feet feel better when training - soft mat? I would welcome any ideas!

Ideas - try different shoes - from supported arch to flat-soled. Also, one site said it can be due to the feet 'falling' inwards. I tried walking on the outside edges of my feet - seems to help - energises different muscles etc. Walking on mats does seem to cause our feet to fall/collapse inwards somewhat. Just ideas - no answers for me yet. I still can't tell if it is a bone pain or a muscle pain. It is said to be more ligamenty/muscular but it feels like inflamed bone pain. All ideas appreciated.

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 12-03-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
kewms

I think examining your shoes is an excellent suggestion.

I haven't had full-blown plantar fascitis, but last fall, I was suddenly plagued with foot cramps. Every time I tried to sit in seiza, the whole arch of my foot just knotted up. Very annoying and painful.

After thinking about it a bit, I realized the weather had recently changed. And so I had switched from very minimalist summer footwear to much more structured "bad weather" shoes. Finding a different pair with a much more open toe box helped tremendously.

Going barefoot as much as possible will strengthen all the little supporting muscles within the foot. Massaging the soles of the feet with a tennis ball or lacrosse ball can also help.

Katherine
Old 12-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Eric Wagner wrote: View Post
I hate long recoveries! I think I was givin' er too hard on suwari waza while doing yonkyo during a pre-test or maybe the hanmi handachi shihonage (always hard for me in ura), but it's hard to know for sure since symptoms did not manifest immediately.
I'm not an expert, but I don't think that something like plantar fasciitis happens quickly. Usually with stuff like that, it's something that has built up over time, maybe brought to a point you can't ignore by one overly enthusiastic practice session. The shoes are a good suggestion: aikido activities may have pushed it, but daily activities are likely adding to the inflammation and/or keeping it inflamed. I had tennis elbow in both elbows, and to finally get rid of it I had to wear tennis elbow straps all the time -- otherwise, simple daily activities would just keep it aggravated.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Shoes - I bought a pair of sneakers in Japan - they were the only large ones I could find and were not particularly good. I think that for me - it was those sneakers. I wore them for a few months and slowly the problem developed.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Recovering from Achilles tendonitis now. Since June. One day I was having mild pain, woke up unable to walk. Took a ton of ibuprofen, stretched and got to work, and I was using the walls to keep myself up by the end of the day. Two weeks off work, mo tha off training.

I did have a regime of standing meditation and certain exercises I was doing. The physical therapist showed me that I had some uneven muscle development and uneven flexibility as a result. Most recently, they've had me working on a variety of stretches and balance exercises.

If I understood correctly, my regime had some muscles atrophying which meant I spent even less time using those muscles and further overused the muscles now in pain. Working on balance meant all the muscles in the hip, which decide the pressure on the foot, were now more able to compensate. Making a more generalized stretching regime so all muscles were equally loose, instead of some very lax and some very tense, which led to the same behaviors with me always using the same pressure points on the feet.

Lots of iontopheresis, lots of ice, lots of rest which led to more interest in weapons work as I was going nuts.

My wife did have plantar fasciitis - she has never gone barefoot in the house since the diagnosis, and this seems to be helping her the most.

Good luck, but mostly I wish you patience.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

I have had this problem for 30 years. I got a shot of cortisone and was pain free for 25 years. When the pain came back I got some shoe inserts from the Good Feet Store. Pain is gone.
That is only one thing on my long list of injuries over the years.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
ken king
United_States

I stand on a foam roller and rock forward/back http://bostonsportsmed.com/wp-conten...1/09/foam5.png. Then i do sitting stretch with legs extended and pull foot towards me with an elastic band around the ball of the foothttps://thebeautyofballet.files.word...2/p1010151.jpg.

This is my regular self therapy after years of stuffing my feet into combat boots and carrying heavy loads.

Last edited by ken king : 12-05-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!