Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
sorokod
United Kingdom
Aikido apprentices train in honbu dojo (Black Belt - May 1966)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido apprentices train in honbu dojo (Black Belt - May 1966)

Thanks for that link David.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

Thank you for sharing this, David. It's very interesting to read. Especially, to read what the then 5th dan Yoshimitsu Yamada sensei has to say on the uchideshi life.
I recommend changing the viewing option for dual page, because some of the pictures are split between two pages (e.g., O-sensei is in page 14, where uke's head is in page 15).
Old 11-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
sorokod
United Kingdom

Share and enjoy

What I found interesting is the amount of time the deshis spent practising with the founder.

Zero

Old 11-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Cliff Judge
Japan

I thought Yamada was not part of that uchideshi program but was instead one of the regular students at Hombu?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

cool article.

nice historical photos. even a pic with my teacher, akira tohei, in the meditiation shot

practice hard
Old 11-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I thought Yamada was not part of that uchideshi program but was instead one of the regular students at Hombu?
He was one of the very first of the type of individuals referred to in the paragraph concerning the "concession to the times" of "allow(ing) [married] uchideshi to live outside the dojo." And given the date for his arrival in the US, the change would appear to have been made several years prior to the article at hand.

Of course, BLACK BELT (which I bought every month for years) is downmarket pulp-newsstand English-language and not the highest authority if you're looking for a guide to correct Japanese meaning and usage.

Multiple native speakers who still use the word "uchi-deshi" in its traditional sense of "live-in student," rather than the modified usage of "inner student who may or may not live with the teacher" found in the linked article, have told me, quite unequivocally, that "Yamada Sensei was never uchi-deshi," or "Yamada Sensei was soto-deshi."

In the traditional sense of the term, they are correct. Whether there is a modern variant usage of the term "uchi-deshi" that doesn't involve being a "live-in" student would require a broader survey to determine whether this linguistic change was common across multiple fields still using a more "traditional" apprenticeship system (entirely possible) or whether this redefinition was unique to apprentices undergoing "instructors' training" at Aikikai Hombu in the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies.

My .02. YMMV.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
He was one of the very first of the type of individuals referred to in the paragraph concerning the "concession to the times" of "allow(ing) [married] uchideshi to live outside the dojo." And given the date for his arrival in the US, the change would appear to have been made several years prior to the article at hand.

Of course, BLACK BELT (which I bought every month for years) is downmarket pulp-newsstand English-language and not the highest authority if you're looking for a guide to correct Japanese meaning and usage.

Multiple native speakers who still use the word "uchi-deshi" in its traditional sense of "live-in student," rather than the modified usage of "inner student who may or may not live with the teacher" found in the linked article, have told me, quite unequivocally, that "Yamada Sensei was never uchi-deshi," or "Yamada Sensei was soto-deshi."

In the traditional sense of the term, they are correct. Whether there is a modern variant usage of the term "uchi-deshi" that doesn't involve being a "live-in" student would require a broader survey to determine whether this linguistic change was common across multiple fields still using a more "traditional" apprenticeship system (entirely possible) or whether this redefinition was unique to apprentices undergoing "instructors' training" at Aikikai Hombu in the Fifties, Sixties, and Seventies.

My .02. YMMV.
There is someone we haven't seen for a bit.

Black belt covered a pretty good range of stuff but yes sometimes you want to cringe. Somewhere there is a quote of Ueshiba K. who said there were no post-war uchideshi but I guess its all in the definition. Still even in the latter half of the 60s people went out of their way to claim uchideshi-dom when I am sure the definition was stretched and how many really had intensive training from Ueshiba M. himself. Saito from example was always Soto-deshi and he certainly has the exposure.

I really liked how the article defined aikido - harkens back to another time were definitions and history was fast and loose.

Last edited by PeterR : 11-30-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
There is someone we haven't seen for a bit.

Somewhere there is a quote of Ueshiba K. who said there were no post-war uchideshi but I guess its all in the definition. Still even in the latter half of the 60s people went out of their way to claim uchideshi-dom when I am sure the definition was stretched and how many really had intensive training from Ueshiba M. himself. Saito from example was always Soto-deshi and he certainly has the exposure.

I really liked how the article defined aikido - harkens back to another time were definitions and history was fast and loose.
Peter,

I think the quote came from me, when I first started writing for AikiWeb, and was a quote from K Ueshiba to me in a private conversation. I have discussed the quote with some of the people featured in the article and they agree with the quote, but add 'nuances' to the definition.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Peter,

I think the quote came from me, when I first started writing for AikiWeb, and was a quote from K Ueshiba to me in a private conversation. I have discussed the quote with some of the people featured in the article and they agree with the quote, but add 'nuances' to the definition.

Best wishes,

PAG
Ah yes now I remember better - it is of course all in the nuances.

It seems to me that there is no real difference between soto and uchi especially if the former was diligent. More important was how much time they spent as chosen uke.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
MRoh
Germany

People coming to the dojo every day for training were not called soto deshi, but kayo no deshi.

My teacher, K. Asai was one of them, hes family lived on the other side of the street. Also Tada Sensei was kayo no deshi.

Last edited by MRoh : 12-08-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!