Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Diabetes and Aikido

Interesting article / letter from a chap who began Aikido with diabetes and saw his numbers get better as he continued training, they go back and follow him up five years later and the results are interesting!

http://kifederationofgreatbritain.co...and-ki-aikido/
Old 04-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Diabetes and Aikido

So is it Aikido or just the fact that he was doing regular exercise. From the article it could just have easily been the beer.

A feel good story I am sure - but aikido isn't the cure.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

I knew triathletes who controled their diabetes with diet and exercise.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
kewms

Diet and exercise are pretty standard recommendations for diabetics. The poor overworked pancreas doesn't have to deal with sugar that is burned by exercise or sugar that isn't consumed in the first place.

The challenge is not so much finding a type of exercise that will help -- they all will -- but finding exercise that the person will enjoy enough to actually do.

Katherine

Last edited by kewms : 04-26-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
The challenge is not so much finding a type of exercise that will help -- they all will -- but finding exercise that the person will enjoy enough to actually do.

Katherine
Truth

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Just be aware that this only relates to type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 is genetic and cannot be controlled by exercise.

My son is type 1 and keeps very fit - does Aikido 2-3 times weekly, gym and soccer - but still needs his insulin 4x daily. If you have diabetics training with you try to ascertain the type and remember that all diabetics may need sugar during hard sessions.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

I have a diabetic training with me for years. I made sure I knew where his candy was in case he conked out. I try to keep some candy in my bag as well.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
lbb
United_States

As an aside, I've been gently reminded that some people with diabetes like to be referred to as such and not as "diabetics".
Old 04-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA

When I actually make it to class regularly, My numbers go down. As Katherine (?) said, it is finding the exercise that helps motivate you to exercise!

Mary, I know some people are...sensitive...about being "defined by their disease," personally, I have better things to concentrate on than how someone refers to Me. I am pretty sure diabetic is one of the nicer ones!

OP, thank you for the link. motivation is good to find!

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
Ronnie Smith
Dojo: Kinning Park, Aikido UK
United Kingdom

Type 2 diabetes can be reversed with a low fat vegan diet (no meat or dairy). It is caused by the high fat diet most people in the west eat. Too much fat in the blood inhibits insulins ability to transport sugar into the cells.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
kewms

Got a link for this claim? In particular, a low fat diet is likely to be high in carbohydrates, which is the exact opposite of most diabetic diet recommendations I have seen.

Katherine
Old 05-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Got a link for this claim? In particular, a low fat diet is likely to be high in carbohydrates, which is the exact opposite of most diabetic diet recommendations I have seen.

Katherine
Actually, yes, Sort Of....not a direct cause and effect; however on a cellular level it has been shown quite clearly that a large proportion of fat within the cell does interfere with the cell's ability to take in insulin.

It is also true, however, the low fat diet needs to be accompanied by the usual diabetes regimen of reducing both sugars and the simple starches/processed carbohydrates that act like sugars in the body.

It is how my physician suggested I try bringing my elevated hemoglobin A1c down and it was extremely effective very fast.

Legumes are your friend :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
dps

I have been a type two diabetic for close to fifteen years.

When you drink alcoholic beverages the body slows down or stops the production of blood sugar until the alcohol is removed from the body. This would cause lower blood sugar spikes when eating food or when the body is converting muscle and body fat to blood sugar for energy. An increase in alcohol would increase the time that the body needs to rid it of alcohol and longer time before resuming blood sugar production, smoothing out any blood sugar spikes and having a lower A1c.

Mental stress can shoot your blood sugar high and continued day to day stress keeps it high. Exercise reduces mental stress, lower mental stress means lower blood sugar levels.

The majority of the food you eat regardless of what food you eat gets turned into blood sugar for energy for the body after the nutrients and proteins to repair your body are used. It is how fast the food is converted into blood sugar that causes problems for type two diabetics. Sugars and honey are converted within a minute. Starches like bread, potatoes and pasta take ( for me ) approximately a half hour to an hour. Non starchy vegetables take several hours, proteins longer and fat ( for me ) can take the better part of the day. When blood sugar levels elevate in your blood the body produces more insulin to help the cells absorb the blood sugar. Type two diabetics' cells are resistant to the insulin and causes the blood sugar not to be absorbed by the cells causing the blood sugar levels to remain high or get higher. The higher the blood sugar levels the more insulin the body produces. One of the effects of insulin on the body is if too much blood sugar is in the blood the body converts the blood sugar into body fat.

Eating foods that take longer to convert to blood sugar, reduce the amount of foods you eat, a moderate amount of alcohol consumption during a meal , moderate exercise for physical and mental health, taking the medication your doctor has prescribed for you and most important is monitoring your blood sugar levels as often as your doctor tells you to or more often is the way to control your type two diabetes and weight.

The information above I got from and confirmed by my doctors, diabetic educators, American Diabetes Association, WebMd to name a few.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, lanyard ash tray,coffee mug, etc.

dps

Last edited by dps : 05-10-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #14
nalu

Hi all,

Funny that I would stumble on this thread today (seeing that my visits here are quite sporadic these days). This week will mark the five year anniversary of my Kidney transplant (brought on by diabetic complications through the years and more so lifestyle choices).

Diagnosed in 1984, currently 47 years old, I have been training since the mid eighties. Through that time Aikido has definitely helped me manage my diabetes but I would have to say more the mental/emotional management than anything else.
I am and have been fit and athletic my entire life. Aikido was an addition to my active lifestyle but it was my experiences of the philosophies and lessons that the Art gave me that helped me deal with the challenges diabetes would offer me.

I have experienced blindness (completly blind for 4 months), a heart attack, some seizures and diabetic comas, dialysis and the traransplant and through it all, I would sight my teachings in Aikido as a major factor in my ability to effectively deal with these challenges, or opportunities to learn, as I like to call them (that and my beautiful wife whose Kidney allows me to be here today!)

I was lucky enough to find KI Aikido way back then, train with great people and amazing teachers and eve spend time in Japan through my journey. I'm not sure how much the physical piece contributed to "managing the numbers", other than what has already been mentioned, almost any exercise will help but the gifts of calmness, centered breathing, etc have helped.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!