Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Janet Rosen

Re: Blood on the mat

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
If you have students who are generating sharps on a regular basis -- diabetics testing blood sugar, for instance -- getting a sharps disposal container would be a polite safety measure for whoever empties your trash.

Otherwise, meh. What do you do with soiled bandaids and such at home? If your dojo is generating enough volume to have real biological waste disposal concerns, you might need to re-examine your teaching protocols...

Katherine
Students should have no need to generate sharps at the dojo in any quantity.
You are also right there should be no need for a dojo to routinely put things on level of biowaste hazard.

FWIW, our protocol for our clients who inject is I have them use an empty bleach container - they are incredibly puncture resistant - and when it is full I tape it shut with red tape and mark it and bring it to our local dump - er, county waste management facility - for appropriate disposal. I have a feeling some simply seal the bleach containers, bag em and throw them away.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #27
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/guidel...n_Nov_2008.pdf

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #28
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Personally, I like to lick the blood up, but I'm a berserker and we berserk that way.

Nice to see the list of more modern good advice though.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #29
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
Personally, I like to lick the blood up, but I'm a berserker and we berserk that way. .
If we disembowel 'em we can make blood sausage!

Janet Rosen
Old 03-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #30
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

IMO open wound of any size should be covered, as not only is it not a good thing for the person to train with an open wound of whatever size, it may carry health hazards for others. That, and make a hard-to-clean mess of the mat/tatami and/or workout wear, such as yawagi/shitagi (jacket/pant).

If someone gets a bad injury, open wound with bleeding (a guy in my class had a freakish fall once, got himself twisted up while the partner accidentally stepped on a foot caused a tib-fib fracture just above his ankle, open wound with bleeding), you cover it immediately witht he cleanest cloth you have to hand, then get assistance at the level you need (we called the ambulance as there was no way he was going to get into a car, and he definitely needed surgery).

FOr the smaller stuff, a little bandage with tape is fine, again IMO. I'm not squeamish about scabbed over sites, but they do have an irritating tendency to open up, so you have to watch them. If there's a lot of them, say someone was riding a bike and fell forward and tore up their palms but it's healing... that's a judgment call both for player and instructor - keep the wounds closed. If they don't stay closed, see above for bandaging to continue practice.

I don't "think" that there is a risk of transmitting infection through a closed/scabbed site, but I might be wrong on that.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #31
Janet Rosen

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
I don't "think" that there is a risk of transmitting infection through a closed/scabbed site, but I might be wrong on that.
The risk is if the scab tears or comes off.
I also take a hard look at rashes to make sure there are no blisters that might open or weeping areas. Once as a very very junior member of a dojo pulled rank as a nurse to politely tell somebody to get those lesions covered before bowing in.

Janet Rosen