Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
spatrickr
United_States
Yoshinkan in Colorado anyone??

Hello to my fellow Aikidoka,

I've just returned to the US, specifically Colorado, after having spent a year completing the Kenshusei Course under Payet Sensei (Yoshinkan Aikido). Now that I'm back, I'm training on my own but kihon dosa and ukemis are getting pretty boring...I need a training partner! Is there anyone out there trained in Yoshinkan in Colorado?? I honestly don't mind if you're 12th Kyu or 5th Dan, I really just want to connect with someone who wants to train. If you're less experienced, I'd be happy to train with you and teach you what I know. I'm also happy to learn from others. Please let me know if you're out there and interested!

Osu,

Scott
Old 03-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Yoshinkan in Colorado anyone??

Quote:
Scott Richards wrote: View Post
Hello to my fellow Aikidoka,

I've just returned to the US, specifically Colorado, after having spent a year completing the Kenshusei Course under Payet Sensei (Yoshinkan Aikido). Now that I'm back, I'm training on my own but kihon dosa and ukemis are getting pretty boring...I need a training partner! Is there anyone out there trained in Yoshinkan in Colorado?? I honestly don't mind if you're 12th Kyu or 5th Dan, I really just want to connect with someone who wants to train. If you're less experienced, I'd be happy to train with you and teach you what I know. I'm also happy to learn from others. Please let me know if you're out there and interested!

Osu,

Scott
I never found anyone when I was out that way (I'm guessing Aurora/DEN area?).

Maybe you can find other aikidoka willing to cross train, though ukemi may be a problem for them.

Best of luck, I'll send you a PM if I'm out that way again.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

The official Dojo Directory lists this:

Koshinkan Danny M.D. Ervin 2530 Wimbleton Court Colorado Springs,CO 80920

No contact details, though.

There was a previous thread on the same issue a few years back - don't know whether the details given then are still current.

Alex
Old 03-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

The dojo in Colorado Springs never really existed. Mr. Ervin was practicing at Pikes Peak Aikikai but is no longer there as I understand it.

Scott -- since you graduated the course why don't you start up your own club? You're certainly welcome to come train with us should you get to Sacramento. Whereabouts in Colorado are you?
Old 03-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
spatrickr
United_States

Hello everyone,
Thank you for your replies. I thought about going to Colorado Springs to train for a weekend, but it does seem that the dojo doesn't actually exist. Also, I'm in Longmont, which is quite a trek to CSprings. I was hoping to find people in Northern Colorado or Denver, but its not looking good.

In regards to opening my own dojo, I've received support and encouragement from my senseis back in Japan, but honestly I'm not comfortable with that until I gain more teaching experience. I'm also only here for 3-4 more months, so obviously that wouldn't work. In July or August I will be returning to Boston where my home is...but again, I will have a challenge in finding training partners since there is also no dojo in MA currently. If anyone knows of anyone in the Boston area who wants to train, please let me know. And of course in the meantime, I'm open to training in Colorado. Let me know if you know anyone or if you're passing through so we can toss each other around!

Thanks again.

OSU,
Scott
Old 03-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Well, there's always Boulder Aikikai. True, practicing with non-Yoshinkaners will drive you crazy, and you'll feel self-conscious without a hakama, but for a few months why not give us a try?

http://www.boulderaikikai.org/classes
Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Scott Richards wrote: View Post
Hello everyone,
Thank you for your replies. I thought about going to Colorado Springs to train for a weekend, but it does seem that the dojo doesn't actually exist. Also, I'm in Longmont, which is quite a trek to CSprings. I was hoping to find people in Northern Colorado or Denver, but its not looking good.

In regards to opening my own dojo, I've received support and encouragement from my senseis back in Japan, but honestly I'm not comfortable with that until I gain more teaching experience. I'm also only here for 3-4 more months, so obviously that wouldn't work. In July or August I will be returning to Boston where my home is...but again, I will have a challenge in finding training partners since there is also no dojo in MA currently. If anyone knows of anyone in the Boston area who wants to train, please let me know. And of course in the meantime, I'm open to training in Colorado. Let me know if you know anyone or if you're passing through so we can toss each other around!

Thanks again.

OSU,
Scott
Respect Scott. When I came back from Japan after intensive training, I figured opening a dojo would be an easy and natural progression. But actually, it's a serious commitment and needs a seriously different set of skills and a lot of psychological honesty. Technical knowledge and ability just isn't enough, especially when you are taking on the education and training of others. It's something that people tend to take on too early IMO (albeit often for understandable reasons).

The best thing for me was that I practiced intensively with a training partner for a couple of years: just the basics. Then I got a space and started taking on a few interested people who had previous experience, in other words, they knew good training and bullshit when they saw it. Very important to have students like this for a teacher.

Taking it slow and learning about yourself as a teacher and how you relate to students should be a gradual process IMO. I think you are right to take it really slow. It'll stand to you in the long run.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dan Rubin wrote: View Post
Well, there's always Boulder Aikikai. True, practicing with non-Yoshinkaners will drive you crazy, and you'll feel self-conscious without a hakama, but for a few months why not give us a try?

http://www.boulderaikikai.org/classes
nooooo not Boulder Aikikai. all those internal stuffs will drive Yoshinkan folks crazy. It's not like Shioda sensei doing any of that stuffs.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Utada Sensei does have a club in Newton, MA.

http://www.doshinkan-aikido.org/?ctc...goshinkan-dojo

While now independent, Utada Sensei is a 7th dan in Yoshinkan Aikido and is a fine gentlemen no less. Have had the pleasure to take lessons and uke for him.

As far as opening a club, that's how you get more teaching experience. So go for it.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
Adam Huss

United_States

Three to four months is the perfect amount of time get a taste of a new martial art! There are some good clubs out that way - if you see something that piques your interest, give it a try. Some of the biggest learning experiences I had was as otomo to my teacher when he taught at non-aikido schools as a guest instructor.

Pikes Peak. I can't imagine training up that high. Just hiking it was a tough.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #11
aikispike
Dojo: Yoshinkan
Canada

just go the best local dojo you can find. after a year of the course your brain could use a little shake up.

As for back in the East, I don't think you have many options in Boston, but there is a club in NYC.

Also, I'd love to hear about your course.

Michael Kimeda

--
Michael Kimeda

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!