Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #26
Bernd Lehnen
Germany
Re: Resistant Knife Training 1 (video)

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
I appreciate the comments.

What I'm wanting to demonstrate is the tactical approach of defensive vs offensive. And that a defensive tactic — waiting for someone with a knife to move in on you — is disastrous. And that by moving in preemptively when there is a high threat, your chances increase greatly.
…..

I absolutely100% stand behind preemptive, aggressive movement in on an attacker with a knife, We have found it to work over and over in our training and experiments. The Dog Brothers, and many others working with similar tactics have arrived at the same conclusions.
…..
Conversely, taking a defensive tactic, and waiting for someone to begin moving towards you with a knife in motion, as often is the case in aikido training, has such dismal results over and over again, I wonder why it's even in aikido's training curriculum.
…..
Hello Dan,
Now your intention is becoming more clear or , may be, you're giving it a "turn into the right direction".

Tohei averred/ but obviously couldn't emphasize enough ( also written down in one of his first books about aikido - for his pupils on Hawaii, I suppose) that aikido always was to be on the aggressive, the offensive, because you always had to take the initiative and take the lead.

Aikido being a passive ( martial) art is certainly the wrong notion, too many might share, through a misconception that easily may arise through not understanding what ura and tenkan actually are, and therefore forgetting about irimi as the important initial step to success…

Best,
Bernd
Old 12-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
This is the first video on knife tactics. Perhaps I failed in aspects of the presentation. Possibly the word "resistant" set off some flags. Which I actually find interesting, since so much of aikido is practiced collusively.

Perhaps it would be as simple as changing the title? Something like: Knife Tactics" Offensive vs Defensive

And if I do that, is that concept demonstrated clearly in the video?
Yeah I admit to being a bull to that particular red flag. A Shodokan stylist (which I am) has very particular ideas about resistance and testing and knows how hard it can be to pull off aikido techniques under non-collusive conditions.

The title change would be certainly help but I still think that it would not be difficult to up the level of demonstration to make it even more interesting.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #28
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc9OwMhsCng

This is what using aikido against a non-aikido trained person armed with a knife can look like. It's not pretty, but the effectiveness is explored and demonstrated. This is a video clip from our class today, completely unrehearsed. The attacker's goal is to stab and resist.

Exploring different concepts and approaches to knife disarming.

Knife Tactics 1 - demonstrating the difference between effective offensive knife disarm, and ineffective defensive knife disarm.

Exploring degrees of effectiveness of Go no sen, Sen no Sen, and Sen sen no sen.

This will be part of an ongoing series on knife work. Comments and suggestions welcome.
Dear Mr Richards,
Taking on anyone armed with a knife is dangerous at best.Your video clip should carry a health warning.Any one who attempts to do what you show on the video is putting themselves at serious risk.The video is nonsense.One saving grace [which made me laugh] is the middle section eg the Karate stuff.Rather than teach self defence I would suggest you take up comedy.Your routine here reminds me of a Jim Carey sketch.Sure made me chuckle.Cannot wait until the next episode.I think you are winding people up with Keystone Cops self defence.Cheers, Joe.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!