Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
ykrhanshi3
 
ykrhanshi3's Avatar
Location: San Jose
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14
United_States
Offline
Hakama Sewing

In Yu Ko Ryu Jujitsu we may wear the hakama, let me know if you make your own, I do and without a pattern
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Timothy WK
Location: Chicago, IL
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 187
United_States
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

What type of fabric do you use? I've made a pair in the past, but wasn't really satisfied with the fabric selection at my local fabric store.

--Timothy Kleinert
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,340
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Quote:
Timothy Walters Kleinert wrote: View Post
What type of fabric do you use? I've made a pair in the past, but wasn't really satisfied with the fabric selection at my local fabric store.
Therein lies the rub :-) I love to sew, including pressing, but hate to iron...so wear a purchased tetron hakama....because I love to wear tetron but don't love sewing other than cotton, linen, wool, etc....

I would recommend a good light to mid weight cotton twill or lightweight canvas but make sure the individual threads are fairly small and are very densely woven (look up at the ceiling light in the fabric store through the fabric).

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
ykrhanshi3
 
ykrhanshi3's Avatar
Location: San Jose
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14
United_States
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

I make hakama with 60% cotton, holds pleats well with starch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,340
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Quote:
Joe Salazar wrote: View Post
I make hakama with 60% cotton, holds pleats well with starch.
Cotton/poly I assume then?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
ykrhanshi3
 
ykrhanshi3's Avatar
Location: San Jose
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14
United_States
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Poly is good but not as soft as 100% cotton. The type and weight of the fabric is determined by how much you want to spend. Any non-stretch, non-transparent, material will work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,340
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Quote:
Joe Salazar wrote: View Post
Poly is good but not as soft as 100% cotton. The type and weight of the fabric is determined by how much you want to spend. Any non-stretch, non-transparent, material will work.
Well, you said 60% cotton so I am trying to figure out what the other 40% is - if not poly?
I am a seamstress and I proofed Carol Schifflet's hak pattern for Round Earth Publishing; I am well aware of fabric properties but am just trying to clarify what you meant by "60% cotton."

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 170
United_States
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Well, you said 60% cotton so I am trying to figure out what the other 40% is - if not poly?
I am a seamstress and I proofed Carol Schifflet's hak pattern for Round Earth Publishing; I am well aware of fabric properties but am just trying to clarify what you meant by "60% cotton."
He only made a bit over half a hakama?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
ykrhanshi3
 
ykrhanshi3's Avatar
Location: San Jose
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14
United_States
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

I don't know what the other 40% is, I was just told "it is synthetic". Poly may include one or more synthetic fibers or rubber. I haven't been to sewing school for more than 50 years so I'm behind the times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,340
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Quote:
Joe Salazar wrote: View Post
I don't know what the other 40% is, I was just told "it is synthetic". Poly may include one or more synthetic fibers or rubber. I haven't been to sewing school for more than 50 years so I'm behind the times.
Don't know what school has to do with it. Going to fabric stores and doing burn tests on fabric is about all it takes :-)
Poly is shorthand for polyester, a very specific fiber. A 60% cotton/40% polyester blend is a standard garment fabric.
I have no idea who would put rubber in a fabric (other than rubberized specifically for rainwear)
Spandex, used for stretch in combo with many other fibers these days, would not ever be suitable for a hakama fabric.

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 12-06-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
ykrhanshi3
 
ykrhanshi3's Avatar
Location: San Jose
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 14
United_States
Offline
Re: Hakama Sewing

Thanks that is good to know.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wearing Hakama Shouri (Steve) General 92 11-20-2014 09:32 AM
Sewing a Hakama ..? lars beyer Supplies 14 03-13-2012 07:43 AM
Kendo and Aikido hakama Carl Simard Supplies 9 07-25-2011 09:28 AM
Hakama FAQ DaveO Humor 24 11-02-2004 05:22 PM
Hakama or no hakama. nmarques General 40 06-13-2002 06:57 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate