Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

aikido articles

dojo search
image gallery
links directory

book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

rss feeds

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #26
Re: Aikido practicality

Robert, you're not "ignorant" -- or, if so, only in a very value-neutral sense of the word, meaning that you don't know things that you could not be expected to know at this point. So don't worry about it! I'm glad you're going to visit some dojos, especially given your surgery -- now you can go back to your doctor, describe the kind of activities you see there (maybe even show him/her a video from Youtube), and see if aikido is a safe activity for you. And if the answer is no, well...it may not always be no. I really like Dan's tai chi suggestion -- I'd love to have access to a good tai chi school. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
Scott Harrington

If you are looking for a good dojo in Orange County, Ca., you might want to try:

Shuyokan dojo - run by retired police officer David dye. VERY long time in Aikido, has written several books, video series out for police and some for martial artists, big emphasis on usability of the art. Hard training, fun atmosphere off the mat. Located near the 55 & 405 (South Coast Plaza mall nearby). Highly recommend.

Ikazuchi dojo - Haruo Matsuoka (past uchichi deshi of Steve Seagal) is a very good teacher and his students are some of the best Aikidoka out there with their 'particular' style. He also has put out a series of videos. Heavily connected back to Japan. Near UC Irvine.

Sam Combes, a retired police officer, started in Aikido when the dead sea was only sick, and runs a relaxed but effective class in central OC. Good man.

Can connect you to a few more if you further define location - OC as has been stated is quite large. The gamut runs to Musubi dojo (an industrial sized location over the north line in Claremont) to Daito ryu near Laguna Hills in the south. The best way is to visit a class, discuss your 'limitations' and 'desires' and see if there is a match.

Orange County Aikido has been around along time (Seagal came from there) but they are going thru a phase. And they have a spin off that is bringing in some of the internal strength guys. Also Angier's Yanagi ryu is there with some spinoffs.

L.A. (not that far away) has some interesting dojo with some lessons being taught by direct students of Ueshiba - that is kinda neat. And San Diego is just a drive away (something I did for awhile.)

Good luck, train, train, and then some more.

Scott Harrington
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Michael Hackett wrote: View Post

Fallbrook isn't all that close to Orange County. It is about an hour and half with light traffic. The Koga Institute travels to other locations to put on their training programs and there is no actual training site in Fallbrook. The late Koga Sensei created some really good stuff and it truly is worth looking at. As far as I know, they are still producing training classes and their schedule can be found on-line.

Thanks for the heads-up, Michael... Maps can be deceiving. I have nonetheless heard many good things about the Institute, and my two encounters with Koga Sensei before his passing left me with the feeling that anyone who trained for an extended time within that framework would be well-prepared. Maybe still worth a look if regular training occurs convenient to the OC. Even for the traditionalist, this sort of practical exposure should offer some excellent perspective.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #29
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Hi all,
Do yourselves a favour and check out Sonoran Aikikai on Facebook. Great clips of body art /weapons.Hope you like them. Cheers, Joe.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I agree that Koga Sensei's "stuff" was great, great fun, and very to the point in a conflict. The Koga Institute is still operating with Sue Koga and some of his senior students. While there is no way it will be the same without Bob Koga there on the mat, I think it will still be valuable. Most of their focus is in producing classes for law enforcement agencies and a visit to their website will show what they have scheduled. The problem for pure civilians is that the courses are generally a week long and are pretty expensive. The cops have their tuition paid through their agencies, along with their expenses while most others won't.

I'm glad the Koga Institute lives on - brings his "No Give Up" to life!

"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #31
Dojo: Aikido Kobukai

I study Yoseikan Aikido which incorporates elements of Karate, Aikijujutsu, Judo into the Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!