Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,283
United_States
Offline
Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

New blog post! "Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew".

Enjoy!

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
ChrisMikk
 
ChrisMikk's Avatar
Dojo: Mugenjuku
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 107
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

I just had time to browse this. It looks interesting, but my eye caught part where it said that Ando ate and slept with Shioda. Maybe there's more information about this in the interview, but as far as I know Shioda didn't actually live in the Yoshinkan. A lot of interesting points, though. Thanks for the translation.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,283
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

Quote:
Christian Mikkelson wrote: View Post
I just had time to browse this. It looks interesting, but my eye caught part where it said that Ando ate and slept with Shioda. Maybe there's more information about this in the interview, but as far as I know Shioda didn't actually live in the Yoshinkan. A lot of interesting points, though. Thanks for the translation.
Most likely he's referring to the time that they spent traveling together - that's when he talks about spending time with Shioda "around the clock".

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,283
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

For those who haven't seen him...Tsuneo Ando Sensei at the 2014 Yoshinkan Kagami-biraki.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
ChrisMikk
 
ChrisMikk's Avatar
Dojo: Mugenjuku
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 107
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

In the following interviews done in Israel, Payet-sensei talks about being an uchi-deshi. Interestingly, he mentions many of the same things Ando does. Either these made a big impression on them both, or they are useful ways of describing what they learned as uchi-deshi or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9K...MvlyG7OYXrfcNg

In general, my impression is that, even though Ando and Payet-sensei didn't actually live with Shioda on a day-in, day-out basis, their experience in the Yoshinkan dojo was closer to a pre-war experience of being uchi-deshi than what most people experience today as "live-in-dojo-students". (In fact, I have heard Payet-sensei say that what he was given the opportunity to experience doesn't exist anymore.) Shioda, in Aikido Jinsei, also describes bathing Ueshiba and reading to him. I am a nurse by training, but when I hear Shioda and Ando talking about bathing their senseis, I still think "creepers!!". However, I know that many people who live in multi-generational homes help older generations bath, so I think it is all part of the Confucian idea of conflating your seniors with your familial ancestors.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
ChrisMikk
 
ChrisMikk's Avatar
Dojo: Mugenjuku
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 107
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

Here is a photo of Payet-sensei, Ando, and (I think) the other uchi-deshi with Shioda in the old Yoshinkan dojo.
http://aikidomugenjuku.wordpress.com...p-carousel-864

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,283
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

Quote:
Christian Mikkelson wrote: View Post
In the following interviews done in Israel, Payet-sensei talks about being an uchi-deshi. Interestingly, he mentions many of the same things Ando does. Either these made a big impression on them both, or they are useful ways of describing what they learned as uchi-deshi or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la9K...MvlyG7OYXrfcNg

In general, my impression is that, even though Ando and Payet-sensei didn't actually live with Shioda on a day-in, day-out basis, their experience in the Yoshinkan dojo was closer to a pre-war experience of being uchi-deshi than what most people experience today as "live-in-dojo-students". (In fact, I have heard Payet-sensei say that what he was given the opportunity to experience doesn't exist anymore.) Shioda, in Aikido Jinsei, also describes bathing Ueshiba and reading to him. I am a nurse by training, but when I hear Shioda and Ando talking about bathing their senseis, I still think "creepers!!". However, I know that many people who live in multi-generational homes help older generations bath, so I think it is all part of the Confucian idea of conflating your seniors with your familial ancestors.
Note that the "live" statement that you're getting stuck on was made by the interviewer, in part of the written introduction to the actual interview, not in any of the questions or in anything said by Ando himself. Anyway, I'm not worrying about it too much.

It's very common for people to wash each other's backs in Japan, especially (as in this case) for someone senior or respected. Although I suppose that's declining with the death of the sento.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
ChrisMikk
 
ChrisMikk's Avatar
Dojo: Mugenjuku
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 107
United_States
Offline
Re: Talking to Tsuneo Ando Part 1 - the Gozo Shioda that Nobody Knew

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
It's very common for people to wash each other's backs in Japan, especially (as in this case) for someone senior or respected. Although I suppose that's declining with the death of the sento.
I live in Japan and go to sentos, but I don't recall seeing it yet. On the other hand, I don't think it would look very out of place.

To be honest with you, I imagined a private bath, but you must be right--they must be referring to going to a sento.

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yoshinkai - Beyond the "Hard Style" Label Susan Dalton Columns 8 11-16-2011 06:53 AM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 20 Peter Goldsbury Columns 22 10-20-2011 10:28 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 02:41 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 17 Peter Goldsbury Columns 41 06-03-2010 09:46 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 6 Peter Goldsbury Columns 35 03-13-2009 06:16 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2017 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2017 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate