Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 AM   #26
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: What would you do if someone attacked you in the street?

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
On the other hand, the more experienced student, like the OP in this thread, might also be able to figure out that confronting a drug-addled maniac with a machete is just dumb.
Katherine
So, you run away, and then he kills your kid, or some other kid, that happens to walk on by a few mins later. Great strategy.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #27
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
So, you run away, and then he kills your kid, or some other kid, that happens to walk on by a few mins later. Great strategy.
Now Rupert that's a bit of a stretch in interpretation.

Self defense is all about creating ma-ai. I use the term rather than just distance because so much more comes into play. Which weapons are being employed, perceived threat and capability, and the need to engage. You are taking these things into account by not being in the situation in the first place, removing yourself from the problem, helping others to do the same. Distancing yourself allows the use of the piece of magic called the cell-phone.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #28
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
One is not required to stand their ground lest a violent predator assault someone else. If you feel you must and live in the civilized world, you should probably become a legal law enforcement officer of some sort. When they face drug-addled machete weilding assailants, they usually have the advantages of both lethal and less-than-lethal weaponry (which may or may not be available to civilians, depending on your local laws) and the amazing force multiplier known as "backup".

Note, I am not saying one should never stand one's ground. The decision to do so will depend on a number of factors that will would be foolish attempt to lay out in an internet discussion. And generally, the answer to "was that the right decision?" is only known in hindsight.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #29
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Quote:
Few mothers would run away leaving their child.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #30
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States

The first and most important rule is to keep you wits about you. Good for aikido. Good for life.

Greg Jennings
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
lbb
United_States

I'm always disappointed at how many people feel the need to call each other out, question each other's intentions and abilities, and generally pick a fight about hypothetical responses to a hypothetical situation. Let it go, people.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #32
dps

How do you stop a mad man with a machete? The same way you stop a mad man with a gun, with a gun.

dps
Old 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #33
kewms

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
How do you stop a mad man with a machete? The same way you stop a mad man with a gun, with a gun.

dps
Law enforcement officers involved in shootouts do not have an impressively high accuracy record. I wouldn't expect civilians to do any better.

Katherine
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #34
dps

Quote:
Law enforcement officers involved in shootouts do not have an impressively high accuracy record. I wouldn't expect civilians to do any better.

Katherine
Then why do enforcements officers carry guns?

0% accuracy without a gun, 20% to 40% accuracy with a gun. I'll take my chances with a gun.

dps
Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #35
kewms

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Then why do enforcements officers carry guns?

0% accuracy without a gun, 20% to 40% accuracy with a gun. I'll take my chances with a gun.

dps
I'm sure the innocent bystanders in your line of fire find that comforting.

Katherine
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #36
dps

Quote:
I'm sure the innocent bystanders in your line of fire find that comforting.

Katherine
If it stops the guy with the machete from hacking them up, yes.

dps
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #37
Sojourner
Australia

Whilst I understand and support the idea that running is a great strategy, it is not always practicible in reality. The question is what would you do if you were attacked? One would suggest that the scenario might thus be that you have already been hit or assualted and how might you thus respond?

Personally I would respond with a mixture of Krav Maga - most likely done wildly and badly (biting, eye gouging, atemi striking) and ideally if I had the capacity I would attempt to use an Aikido pin to end the conflict and hold the person unitil the police arrived. Whilst people may not like the use of Krav, the point of Krav is that there is no such thing as a fair fight and if you are being attacked, you use whatever tools you have at your disposal to neutralize your attacker.

The Dalai Lama was once asked about how someone might defend themselves against an attacker with a gun and his Holiness stated openly that it is a reasonable use of self defence to use your own gun to shoot someone else that has a gun and is trying to shoot you.

I have no doubt that the founder of Aikido could very easilly disarm a meth addict with a machete or firearm with Aikido. I know that I can not and I would be unlikely to try as a result.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com