Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Asou

Dojo: Shaniz Dojo
Indonesia
Weapons training

Hi, my dojo doesn't have weapons training. I intend to go to weapons seminar training if it's available (but very scarce, maybe once a year). I don't know where to start. Can someone tell me the basics? I have a jo, bokken, and tanto.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Weapons training

Quote:
Konstantinus Darwin wrote: View Post
Hi, my dojo doesn't have weapons training. I intend to go to weapons seminar training if it's available (but very scarce, maybe once a year). I don't know where to start. Can someone tell me the basics? I have a jo, bokken, and tanto.

Cheers
No, not really. You have to be taught it. Someone can try to explain to you a basic cut, thrust renzoku, but variables like grip, timing, position are all far too complicated to explain here. The only realistic way to do it distance-learining style would be to observe specific techniques someone gives you, then video yourself doing them, and send them back to that person for correction. Very tedious. This is particularly true if you have no base knowledge of weapons training. It sucks, but not much you can do if no one is near to teach you.

When you go to your weapons seminar, make sure you get the basic grips and positions correct, video record and take corresponding notes. The more you learn about weapons work, the more complex and difficult it gets. Awesome training though, hopefully you get a full-time knowledgeable instructor.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

If I were you and I didn't have integrated weapon training in your Aikido organization, I'd either find a new Aikido organization that does, or I would find myself a decent Iaido dojo for cross-training.

Aikido weapons don't make much sense as a study on their own, and if they aren't already a part of your tradition, that is basically how you would be studying them.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:

Cheers
Konstantinus

Study some good vids [Sato Sensei /Chiba Sensei ]on Youtube.Get a mate ,sStudy basic movement

and just do it.Its not rocket science .Nopoint in hanging arouind waiting for some guy to show you the ropes .Pity Indonsiea is a bit too far away for me .Cheers, Joe

Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:

Cheers
i thought Indonesia has martial arts that are good with sticks and knives. i would go with those over aikido weapons any day.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
kewms

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
i thought Indonesia has martial arts that are good with sticks and knives. i would go with those over aikido weapons any day.
I was going to suggest this as well. I tend to believe that the "best" art is usually going to be the one with the best teacher. In-person instruction from a local master is going to beat anything you can find on video.

Katherine
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Silat is a study all by itself. I would not go to a guru expecting to cherry-pick weapons study from silat to augment my aikido practice. Give the art the respect it deserves.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
dps

Go to Youtube and search eHow Aikido Weapons training.

dps
Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Go to Youtube and search eHow Aikido Weapons training.

dps
Dear David,
Your advice is fine.Just one snag quite frankly the Weapons vids on Youtube range from the sublime to the ridiculous.Since the writer of this blog appears to be a novice how can he discern that which is good and that which is dross?Some recent weapons work posted on this forums imo left a bit to be desired.Ideally the student should have a teacher,however that is not to say one cannot learn by watchng vids .Its just so much more more difficult.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Personally, many years ago I just decided that, since Murphy's Law seems to affect (effect?) me sort of all the time it feels like, that since I couldn't misplace my hands & feet, but it was certain that the one time in my life when I'd be the target of a bad actor, I'd have my [insert weapon here] in my training bag, in the car, at home, or across the room, whatever. So, I intentionally decided to not train with weapons so as to have my body not unconsciously hesitating that instant when it might count.

Rather, get the hands up and get the hell out of the way, eh!

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
lbb
United_States

When I first started studying weapons (before my aikido days), my sensei was careful to tell all new students that the idea of studying archaic weapons for self-defense was preposterous. If you are looking for self-defense, you should look elsewhere, and stop trying to justify your weapons study based on its self-defense value.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!