Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #1
snowy
Dojo: wolverhampton / cheslynhay
United Kingdom
one to one

Hi all, i have been thinking of one to one lessons, would ideally like to train and become friends with a training partner, (would be willing to pay for aikido lessons] and try gym work or fitness as well. i live in dudley uk, if any body has any advice or knows of any one who would be interested,
Old 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: one to one

Aikido is better leared in a group where you can learn with different people. Private clases with your teacher now and the are great but in the long run it is not good for either of you. A variety of bodies that respond and move differetly will teach you a lot more.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Aikido is better leared in a group where you can learn with different people. Private clases with your teacher now and the are great but in the long run it is not good for either of you. A variety of bodies that respond and move differetly will teach you a lot more.
Yep. Unless you are experienced and want to team with somebody to work on some aspect of mutual interest.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
kewms

From the instructor's point of view, a small group of complete beginners is one of the most difficult teaching situations. It's much easier to integrate beginners into an existing class, because the more experienced students can help bring the beginners up to speed and no single person has to carry the entire teaching load alone.

From the student's perspective, practicing only with other beginners is hard because they don't know anything either. Blind leading the blind and all that. It's much easier to have a partner who can help walk you through things.

As Janet and Cherie said, private classes can be a great way to spend time on a particular area, but I wouldn't recommend them for beginners.

Katherine
Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
lbb
United_States

I used to end up with a "private" class fairly often because, for some reason, very few other people wanted to train on Tuesday nights. In retrospect, I think I learned a lot, but more than once a week would have been counterproductive. I needed to spend most of my mat time in an environment where I could practice and integrate what I had learned during that once a week "drinking from a firehose" experience.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Alan Beardsmore wrote: View Post
Hi all, i have been thinking of one to one lessons, would ideally like to train and become friends with a training partner, (would be willing to pay for aikido lessons] and try gym work or fitness as well. i live in dudley uk, if any body has any advice or knows of any one who would be interested,
Dear Alan,
THere is a very good instructor called Ian Grubb.He lives in Albrighton, Not too sure if the distance is far.Ian is a 6th Dan Shidoin. If you want I can give you his email.Having said that I do not know whether he takes private lessons. Let me know what you think. Cheers, Joe.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
snowy
Dojo: wolverhampton / cheslynhay
United Kingdom

Hi all thankyou for your response, appreciate your points. i think your all right theres no replacing experience of training with multiple students of all ages grades and physical abilities, if i could on occasion train with an instructor on a one to one basis, just to maybe brush up on my skills [ use the term losely] that would be good,Thanks again for your responses. must say i didnt think i would get any replies, will definitely be posting again.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

I guess it means what you mean by "brush up". Are you unable to attend class regularly? If you're limited to solo practice, then it makes a lot of sense to me that you'd want to "brush up" from time to time (but I think you could get that from just attending class). If you're seeing things in class that aren't clear to you, you should be able to ask your sensei for clarification. Occasional seminars are also a good idea, I think, to get a different perspective on your practice.

I'd like to add a substantial caveat to all the above, though. The process of learning aikido is not like driving a car, where driving at twice the speed gets you there in half the time. It's a lot more like growing a garden. If I plant a seed, adding twice the amount of fertilizer won't make the plant grow in half the time -- and may, in fact, keep it from growing at all. The plant's growth is limited by its metabolism as well as its resources: it won't grow if it's lacking sun, water or nutrients, but it can only use so much of these resources at a time. It's the same with aikido training. Your sensei tells you something, and then you need to learn it, to metabolize it if you will. It takes time. Your sensei shows you something, and then you need to develop your own ability to do what you've been shown, and the only way to do it is practice. One-on-one instruction is not a shortcut. Enjoy the process, it's all there is.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Alan Beardsmore wrote: View Post
Hi all thankyou for your response, appreciate your points. i think your all right theres no replacing experience of training with multiple students of all ages grades and physical abilities, if i could on occasion train with an instructor on a one to one basis, just to maybe brush up on my skills [ use the term losely] that would be good,Thanks again for your responses. must say i didnt think i would get any replies, will definitely be posting again.
Then it sounds like just about any quality dojo would do. Seriously, that's how dojo life is, you run every day with the pack and once in a while an alpha will take you off to see what you've got.

Pro tip: If you find a good dojo, you will find that there are times that the LAST thing you want is one on one time with sensei or sempai. Usually it will be a few milliseconds after you sign in, look at your hours since your last exam and get that awful fleeting thought that just about every yudansha on the planet will hear. Their heads will raise from their tasks and a tiny, tight little smile will show around the edges as they return to their work. Do not have that thought.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!