Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #176
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Training in any athletic endeavor when you are impaired/under the influence of any mind-altering substance is potentially dangerous not only to the person, but to anybody who trains with that person.

I can not think of any cogent reason why any dojo should allow a person to train in an altered state. I have even spoken to a student who had alcohol on his breath, despite acting entirely sober. As the owner of a dojo, I am ultimately responsible for the well-being of the students training there. Clean body, mind and uniforms are simply starting points to walk onto my mats!

True Story:

One of my sempai was going through a divorce and would smoke pot before training. Pot calms must people down. For him, it had a disinhibitory effect. The result was that he became an angry snap and people would get hurt (big strong person). This person needed to spoken to and told what was going on and that nobody really wanted to train with him anymore. This is a good person who was oblivious as to what was going on. He had no intent or desire to hurt anybody.

bottom line:

Train safe means NO MIND-ALTERING substances before training.

Marc Abrams
Hi Marc,
Thought I would give a response here as I like what you've said and plus you might find it amusing coming from me.(first impressions and all that)

Three points. Firstly from the view of letting someone train who has been taking drugs. If the person thinks it will make their training go better then let me explain what will generally happen so that others may look out for the symptoms. If the person not only has to train phsically hard but has to concentrate and correct themselves and stay centered and calm and yet alert and aware you will find they start feeling a bit nauseous. They will say they have a bit of a stomach problem(as an excuse) and if they are made to carry on in a disciplined fashion will start going red and white blotchy in the face. If they are made to carry on they will proceed to be sick and vomit.

Of couse the person will put on a good act and say it was the takeaway they had the previous night or some such excuse.

Secondly, a story. An old friend of mine got in touch with me over four years ago now and asked me to give him something to 'clean his system out' as he had been a heavy marijuana smoker for years and had an interview coming up in three weeks for a job on london transport where your blood is tested for such things.

I told him it would take heavy exercise, saunas if possible and a special nutritional programme to be followed to the letter.

Bless him he did it and completed it and got the job and and even progressed to inspecter. The point of this story though is what he told me afterwards.

He told me that he had always thought he was relaxed and only now did he realize that he wasn't relaxed he was LETHARGIC. He laughed at himself comparing how he was to how he felt now.

Thirdly for all those interested in mechanics. Marujiana destroys all the vitamin B1 in the brain, it is this which leads to the 'high'.

Vitamin B1 is the MAJOR food for the brain.

Alcohol has a similar effect by destroying the same vitamin in fact it was discovered way back in the 60's that if you injected bib doses of vitamin B1 into the blood of a drunk alcoholic they would sober up within a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps someone their musings on the subject.

Cheers. G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #177
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Hi Marc,
Thought I would give a response here as I like what you've said and plus you might find it amusing coming from me.(first impressions and all that)

Three points. Firstly from the view of letting someone train who has been taking drugs. If the person thinks it will make their training go better then let me explain what will generally happen so that others may look out for the symptoms. If the person not only has to train phsically hard but has to concentrate and correct themselves and stay centered and calm and yet alert and aware you will find they start feeling a bit nauseous. They will say they have a bit of a stomach problem(as an excuse) and if they are made to carry on in a disciplined fashion will start going red and white blotchy in the face. If they are made to carry on they will proceed to be sick and vomit.

Of couse the person will put on a good act and say it was the takeaway they had the previous night or some such excuse.

Secondly, a story. An old friend of mine got in touch with me over four years ago now and asked me to give him something to 'clean his system out' as he had been a heavy marijuana smoker for years and had an interview coming up in three weeks for a job on london transport where your blood is tested for such things.

I told him it would take heavy exercise, saunas if possible and a special nutritional programme to be followed to the letter.

Bless him he did it and completed it and got the job and and even progressed to inspecter. The point of this story though is what he told me afterwards.

He told me that he had always thought he was relaxed and only now did he realize that he wasn't relaxed he was LETHARGIC. He laughed at himself comparing how he was to how he felt now.

Thirdly for all those interested in mechanics. Marujiana destroys all the vitamin B1 in the brain, it is this which leads to the 'high'.

Vitamin B1 is the MAJOR food for the brain.

Alcohol has a similar effect by destroying the same vitamin in fact it was discovered way back in the 60's that if you injected bib doses of vitamin B1 into the blood of a drunk alcoholic they would sober up within a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps someone their musings on the subject.

Cheers. G.
Graham:

A very good friend of mine is one of the top reggae percussionists in the world (was Jimmy Cliff's percussionist....). MOST reggae performers and even Rastafarians do not smoke pot. It is a big selling point because of Bob Marley's public embracing of marijuana. Having spend time in Jamaica, in places in and around Kingston that most people perceive as ridiculously dangerous, my family and I have had remarkably healthy and enlightening experiences with some very spiritual, kind, healthy people. I am looking forward to taking my family back to Jamaica again for this holiday season.

Back to the issue you raised.... In my younger hellion days, I was certainly no angel with drug and alcohol use. Even then, I would remain sober when competing at high level athletics. Depending upon the drugs that you are on, your performance can be artificially enhanced (the number of baseball players who have ADHD and take medication for that- speed, is statistically far beyond stat.s from the general population). The downsides with some medications can appear when they have underlying physiological conditions (weakened artery...) and the damage is subtle until it typically becomes suddenly severe and life-threatening. Other drugs, like marijuana (NOT tested for in the NBA, because they would likely not be able to field teams!) do like you say and people think that it makes them focus better, The reality has been tested too many times that people should simply give up on that argument.

detection: Pupil response is a GREAT means by which we can get a quick and relatively accurate read of whether someone is on pot, speed, opiates,....

I allow adults to act like adults. If you want to play game, be willing to live by it's rules. One of my rules is based upon personal experience, best science and sports practices, which means that sobriety in my dojo is a strictly enforced rule. I have no problem asking people to step off of my mats and talk with me if they seem under the influence of anything. Sometimes a student has had a couple of beers and is on the mats six hours later and I smell alcohol on that person's breath. I then speak to that person privately and then make my decision. I have no problems helping people with abuse and dependence problems (no me personally, because it would be an ethical violation as a psychologist- dual roles).

I am genuinely glad to see endorse sobriety. I am not surprised by that, but then again not many of us White folks attend indigenous, religious ceremonies in some of the poorest neighborhoods in Jamaica either (amazing experiences). First impressions are what they are. It is the ability to look beyond what we see that truly allows us to deepen our life experiences.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #178
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Graham:

A very good friend of mine is one of the top reggae percussionists in the world (was Jimmy Cliff's percussionist....). MOST reggae performers and even Rastafarians do not smoke pot. It is a big selling point because of Bob Marley's public embracing of marijuana. Having spend time in Jamaica, in places in and around Kingston that most people perceive as ridiculously dangerous, my family and I have had remarkably healthy and enlightening experiences with some very spiritual, kind, healthy people. I am looking forward to taking my family back to Jamaica again for this holiday season.

Back to the issue you raised.... In my younger hellion days, I was certainly no angel with drug and alcohol use. Even then, I would remain sober when competing at high level athletics. Depending upon the drugs that you are on, your performance can be artificially enhanced (the number of baseball players who have ADHD and take medication for that- speed, is statistically far beyond stat.s from the general population). The downsides with some medications can appear when they have underlying physiological conditions (weakened artery...) and the damage is subtle until it typically becomes suddenly severe and life-threatening. Other drugs, like marijuana (NOT tested for in the NBA, because they would likely not be able to field teams!) do like you say and people think that it makes them focus better, The reality has been tested too many times that people should simply give up on that argument.

detection: Pupil response is a GREAT means by which we can get a quick and relatively accurate read of whether someone is on pot, speed, opiates,....

I allow adults to act like adults. If you want to play game, be willing to live by it's rules. One of my rules is based upon personal experience, best science and sports practices, which means that sobriety in my dojo is a strictly enforced rule. I have no problem asking people to step off of my mats and talk with me if they seem under the influence of anything. Sometimes a student has had a couple of beers and is on the mats six hours later and I smell alcohol on that person's breath. I then speak to that person privately and then make my decision. I have no problems helping people with abuse and dependence problems (no me personally, because it would be an ethical violation as a psychologist- dual roles).

I am genuinely glad to see endorse sobriety. I am not surprised by that, but then again not many of us White folks attend indigenous, religious ceremonies in some of the poorest neighborhoods in Jamaica either (amazing experiences). First impressions are what they are. It is the ability to look beyond what we see that truly allows us to deepen our life experiences.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
Hi Marc.
Nicely put. G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #179
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
Location: Cortland, NY
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

NO. I have very strong feelings for personal reasons I will not get into here. But that's my response.

Last edited by CNYMike : 12-09-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Toning down and explaining.

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #180
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

OP Do you really have the time in between bouts? I get enough from endorphins, and adrenalin rush, let alone a spliff: hypno:
Like the odd cigar with a pint now and again, but the old earthy stuff not so far out kiddo....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #181
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Question Why is it dead anyway?

Just curious as I've noted this a few times.

Could someone please tell me what the problem is?

I thought it would be natural for new people on a forum to read through what is written and post what they think or feel to.

Apparently it annoys some, or at least is cause for a 'dig'.

I also enjoy a tarot forum and people there value new ideas and input, even on 'old worn out subjects.' if the thread IS dead, then its closed and one cant add to it with posts.

If you dont like it ........... ermmmm, just dont keep reading it
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #182
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Ummm, re post # 172, I mean.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #183
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 567
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

I had been avoiding this thread. I just read every post and now I think I'm the one who needs some marijuana.

Quote:
George Ledyard wrote:
You show up high on the mat and you are sent home.
Quote:
Keith Larman wrote:
If you come on the mat impaired, well, I'm with George -- you should find the door asap. I don't care why you're impaired or what you're impaired from -- I don't want you hurt nor do I want you doing anything to or with anyone else. If you're not 100% there do everyone a favor and stay home.
Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Under the influence of anything-drugs, alcohol, mushrooms, etc. is not only disrespectful to the art and dojo but dangerous to your fellow classmates and yourself.
Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote:
Training in any athletic endeavor when you are impaired/under the influence of any mind-altering substance is potentially dangerous not only to the person, but to anybody who trains with that person.

I can not think of any cogent reason why any dojo should allow a person to train in an altered state.

bottom line:

Train safe means NO MIND-ALTERING substances before training.
First, I want to say that a person who owns and operates a dojo should be able to exclude anyone from training for any reason, and obviously, any individual should be able to refuse to train with any other student for any reason.

But seeing the strength of many of the responses brought up some questions, namely what are the logical limits?

What about anti-depressants?
Adderall, beta-blockers, hormones?
Tobacco, caffeine?

Some people are naturally violent and sadistic. Some are mentally ill or developmentally delayed. Some are extremely emotional. What about them?

Some are merely absent minded or uncoordinated, which in my experience has been the most dangerous type of person on the mat -- for themselves, their direct partner(s), and others training around them.

Is this about barring people who use particular substances? Is it about barring people who exhibit particular behaviors? Or is it about maintain the safest possible environment in the dojo?

(By the way, I realize this is a departure from the original topic, but I think that happened almost immediately. And it's an old thread, so what the heck?)

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #184
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 567
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

On a different note, Dan Harden made what in my opinion was a very intriguing post that was completely glossed over, so I thought I'd re-post it. The idea of exploring your personal limits through a variety of means seems interesting and important. Of course the extent to which one does this would seem to be highly individuated.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote:
Two of the best guys I used to roll with liked to get high, both before and after practice. One was also a Greco Roman guy who used to love doing soft wrestling while high or after a few beers.
While we trained very seriously most of the time, we trained with a buzz on in so many living rooms, wedding receptions, parties, and parking lots I lost count. Oh the stories our loved ones could tell!!

I consider full contact jujutsu safer than aikido practice anyway. Why, because you're not giving away body parts or your whole frame to be thrown. Having someone fight to get you while you fight back is much safer, for me.

Anyway, while I don't smoke weed, I have trained/played with some veeery well known men while drunk. and we had a blast. It's another way of testing to me. Then again, I've also trained weapons in a raging blizzard two feet deep and blowing sideways, outside up and down hills, at night by moonlight, I've also gone all out while drunk (with permission from my partners). It's fun to test and play.

So, while -in general- I am all for not allowing intoxication during training, I'm just not much for sweating the little things. I agree with Fred, that some of the worst examples of Budo I have ever met were very legalistic, and wound so tight you...well, that's for another day.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #185
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,155
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Alison Macdiarmid wrote: View Post
If you want to and its not harming others - why are people so concerned? From a spitiual perspective, you will already know the answer. A lot of judgemental people out there, obviously living perfect lives.
Dear Alison, ,
I cannot in all sincerity agree with yopur viewws on this subject.from personal experience istate the marijuana has caused me , my wife and my family a lot of pain.Not only has this drug caused members of my family job prospects thanks to this stuff this harmless [joke] crap has seriouslyaffected a member of my family and nearly ruined another.This drug is responsible for ruining a lot lives.Harmless?I think not.Cheers , Joe.

Last edited by akiy : 11-12-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #186
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

I live in Washington state where we just "legalized" the stuff. I know a lot of people who smoke and I used to smoke pretty heavily myself so I have a very direct set of experiences. I see more problematic behavior with alcohol than weed, but I'm inclined to think the problems are deeper rooted than the substances abused...which clearly do compound those issues though.
That being said I believe I just heard about a study which suggests marijuana can lead to a form of schizophrenia (or similar behavior) in some people. Again, I'm inclined to think all substance abuse can contribute to having similar results, albeit perhaps not in the same conditions.
The most pervasive problem I can see is the effects of smoking on the lungs/breath as well as the issues that come from any chronic substance use, which gradually rewire certain mental functions (e.g. memory and motivation).

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #187
Alfonso
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 346
Offline
Wink Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I live in Washington state where we just "legalized" the stuff. I know a lot of people who smoke and I used to smoke pretty heavily myself so I have a very direct set of experiences. I see more problematic behavior with alcohol than weed, but I'm inclined to think the problems are deeper rooted than the substances abused...which clearly do compound those issues though.
That being said I believe I just heard about a study which suggests marijuana can lead to a form of schizophrenia (or similar behavior) in some people. Again, I'm inclined to think all substance abuse can contribute to having similar results, albeit perhaps not in the same conditions.
The most pervasive problem I can see is the effects of smoking on the lungs/breath as well as the issues that come from any chronic substance use, which gradually rewire certain mental functions (e.g. memory and motivation).
Hi Matt, to be fair that study really states that schizos do better with weed than without; it jumps to the conclusion that ergo people go schizo in a really strange from the science but understandable from the politics. 26 people study all schizophrenic is really no go way to make a claim like that.

That said, I have / do smoke and it has absolutely nothing to do with Aikido. IMHO so NO. Dumb question in my mind. Can you do aikido when you're not sober? Yeah, I've seen that in all forms. So just cause you can doesnt mean much.

And I'm drinking a beer right now

Alfonso Adriasola
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #188
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Alfonso Adriasola wrote: View Post
Hi Matt, to be fair that study really states that schizos do better with weed than without; it jumps to the conclusion that ergo people go schizo in a really strange from the science but understandable from the politics. 26 people study all schizophrenic is really no go way to make a claim like that.

That said, I have / do smoke and it has absolutely nothing to do with Aikido. IMHO so NO. Dumb question in my mind. Can you do aikido when you're not sober? Yeah, I've seen that in all forms. So just cause you can doesnt mean much.

And I'm drinking a beer right now
Hi Alfonso,
Thanks for the info!
I must have misread it but I thought it stated that some of the schizophrenics in the case (the ones with a history of marijuana) displayed differences that suggested it was induced through the repeated use; that the mechanisms involved are similar and that the repeated use probably increase susceptibility. I do recall a meta analysis (i.e. an article about it) which suggested that this only applies to a small percentage of people...I want to say something on the order of 1 in 50,000; so if this were my home town of Everett (population of approx 100,000 people) only about 2 people would have a risk.
I wasn't aware it only involved 26 people though. If that's it, I'm not sure how they could infer much...then again there must be more studies in that vein if someone was able to do a meta analysis. Clearly I'll have to read up on it in more detail.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:50 AM   #189
jbelly
Location: sf bay area, ca
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

they wouldn't make it to keiko if they smoke the strong stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #190
Edgecrusher
 
Edgecrusher's Avatar
Dojo: Tampa, FL
Location: Tampa, Florida
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 76
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Do you want to drop acid on the journey too? This is an inappropriate topic and should remain private to an individual who uses. Some questions need not be asked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #191
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
Location: Ambler, Pennsylvania
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 232
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

who needs weed ? aikido itself is a mind altering activity

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #192
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,803
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Thread's four years old.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #193
Keith Larman
Location: California
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,556
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Thread's four years old.
Whoooaaaaaa, seems like yesterday. Far out, man! Mind blown!

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #194
Michael Douglas
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 402
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Mat Curry necro'd it!
Mmmm ... Curry ...

got the munchies!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #195
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,942
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Thread's four years old.
Must have been a stoner resurrected it

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #196
JP3
 
JP3's Avatar
Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
Location: Houston, TX
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

I've noticed such a tendency amoung people that I know smoke weed for long periods that it's an actual stereotype.

Long term weed use seems to inhibit ambition, that's been my observation. And.. the smokers don't seem to care that they lack it, thus the problem.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #197
Brian Beach
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 68
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
I've noticed such a tendency amoung people that I know smoke weed for long periods that it's an actual stereotype.

Long term weed use seems to inhibit ambition, that's been my observation. And.. the smokers don't seem to care that they lack it, thus the problem.
Quote:

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do just as well you just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference."
- Bill Hicks
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 AM   #198
jbelly
Location: sf bay area, ca
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Mat Curry necro'd it!
Mmmm ... Curry ...

got the munchies!
hahaha...no munchies - i value my lungs. however, a recent experience made this topic relevant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #199
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
Location: NY
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 390
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Over the last few years I've followed this thread, and have probably read through every post. It's interesting how this topic really seems to press some buttons.

The world of Budo is no stranger to mind altering substances. There are many stories and examples of imbibing budoka, including a story told by Nishio where he describes, "One entire wall of a six tatami room in Hombu Dojo was used for shelves with alcohol stacked up to the ceiling."

When I trained in Denmark, I trained for a couple of years at Christiania Aikido, which was located in Christiania also known as "Free Town" in Copenhagen. It's classified as an "experiment" by the Danish government. In the early 70's people entered and began squatting in abandoned houses and military barracks and using the 80 acres of land to build a community and establish an autonomous neighborhood with its own government.

If you can imagine the Woodstock Festival being turned into a town — that's Christiania. A real time warp to the late 60's. It's a very popular place, with tourists passing through, concerts and festivals. The culture there is mostly one of sustainability and independence. There are a lot of artists and craftsman with private workshops and houses, and cafes and concert halls for the community. Many of the spaces are stunningly beautiful.

Real troublemakers, bikers, and hard drugs were evicted in the late 70's. Leaving behind a relatively safe and peaceful core community — although not without occasional flare ups of violence. As you can imagine, it's pretty hippy-dippy, and there are groups and classes for all kinds of things, including meditation, yoga, softer martial arts, etc..

There's also a pretty big hash culture there, similar to Amsterdam. Hash is openly sold at stands on the main street, called "Pusher Street," and it's openly smoked and enjoyed in cafes and bars.

Christiania Aikido training sessions — which were two hours long and held five days per week – often adjourned afterwards to one of the cafes for some relaxation and conversation. This would often include some coffee or tea or beer and a little something to eat, as well as the making and passing around of a hash joint or chillum.

The conversations were always stimulating and explorative, and of course many of them revolved around Aikido. It was a very intensive and immersive time. And I have fond memories of the friendships and training that were forged there.

Last edited by Dan Richards : 09-25-2014 at 01:31 PM.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #200
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
Location: NY
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 390
United_States
Offline
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

This topic, at this point, has over 34K views. There seems to be some interest on this and related subjects.

Here's a link to an enlightening interview with Ahati Kilindi Iyi, an elder in African Martial Sciences. He discusses everything from the history of martial arts, addictions, marijuana, power plants, shamanism, spiritual realms, alchemy, levels of consciousness and maturity, hyper dimensional martial arts training, "downloading" martial arts (ala Matrix).

He's an American raised in Brooklyn, and gives an overview of martial arts and sciences that is extremely wide and deep in scope.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/illumin...ti-kilindi-iyi

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial Ineffectiveness dps General 148 08-20-2012 09:15 AM
My Experiences in Cross Training MMA with Aikido Reuben General 122 02-10-2010 04:39 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 6 Peter Goldsbury Columns 35 03-13-2009 06:16 PM
Baseline skillset eyrie Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 1633 05-23-2008 01:35 PM
Women and Everybody Else in Aikido George S. Ledyard Teaching 113 03-16-2008 07:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate