Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2002, 06:46 AM   #26
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Quote:
Roy Dean wrote:
I've had that experience happen many times, usually with highly egoic males who like to insinuate "Yah, you threw me, but check it out, I always have the upper hand..."
I have a tendancy to hang on to people myself after being thrown. This is usually when I'm being thrown with a great deal of contact with the body (e.g. koshi-nage, some kokyu-nages) - often comprising of an arm draped over the nages back. This is not malicious (as far as I'm aware), but a natural tendency to slow myself down and control my body movement as well as maintain connection with uke.

Tips:

1. Sometimes with techniques like kokyunage (sokumen irimi-nage) people grab your arm - best thing to do is NOT to support them. If anyone is grabbing onto your arm and trying to use it as a support just bend your knees and offer them no support (letting them drop to the floor) - as if they were grabbing on to a cloud. This should be an instantaneous reaction (but not necessarily with force).

2. Many styles tend to stand where they are and project away from them, however at the moment we train to throw and move forwards (body movement rather than force from a fixed stance being the impetus behind the throw). Thus if they keep hold you are moving in the same direction anyway e.g. with kaiten-nage, as you step through and throw, you can continue walking. If they grab on - give them a dummy strike as they lay there (you should be directly over them). (Ukemi is an escape for uke - if they don't want to take that opportunity, its their choice).

hope this helps!

Ian

Last edited by ian : 11-11-2002 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:02 AM   #27
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
P.S.

option 3. As a last ditch resort (especially if they are realy trying to pull you to the floor). At all times keep your back straight. As they pull you down, land on their sternum with your knees (P.S. can be dangerous - and goes to show that we shouldn't wrestle around in the dojo - however, a better reaction in real cases).

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-11-2002, 10:40 AM   #28
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Kat -

Best to work on fixing your 'finishing' posture now, it will become more important when you have to deal with two attackers. If you are off balance it will be harder to transition to the next attack.

(This is how I found out I needed to correct my 'finishing' posture!)
Old 11-11-2002, 11:34 AM   #29
Kat.C
Hi eveyone, just wanted to say thank you again for all the replies and advice, very much appreciated. I will see if I can put the tips to good use in class tonight.
Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Kat -

Best to work on fixing your 'finishing' posture now, it will become more important when you have to deal with two attackers. If you are off balance it will be harder to transition to the next attack.

(This is how I found out I needed to correct my 'finishing' posture!)
Well that's a pretty effective way to learn. Umm, did this happen to you in the dojo?

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #30
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Yes it did. I used to finshed with a pretty 'deep' stance, as oppossed to hanmi.

It meant that I had to get 'straigtened out', back up to hanmi before I could be rady to receive the next technique/attacker. I started studying at a new dojo (a long story for another time), and this is one of the things that was pointed out to me.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 PM   #31
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States
Very helpful suggestions by everyone.

Jucas,

I see your point regarding an uncontrolled decent on uke's chest. Since their body is blocking access to the front balance point, going to knee on belly as an intermediate position can allow nage to quickly regain their balance, instead of stepping over uke's body (which can sometimes be a little awkward). It also allows transition to a quick armbar, since uke has conveniently extended their limb in their effort to hang on to you.

ian,

Sometimes people hang on to help complete their rotation (myself included), sometimes they hang on for a friendly reminder for nage to check their balance, sometimes they really try to pull you over to appease themselves. It's all about intent.

Kat's post just happened to trigger a memory of a particular yudansha yanking my chain at the San Rafael retreat. His intentions were clear... it was all about him.

Good Training to You All,

Roy Dean

Discover Who You Are

www.roydean.tv

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!