Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
jdm4life
United_States
trying to find info on aiki shrine festival, iwama 2014

Hello,

I am going to be in japan on the 29th april and plan to travel from tokyo to the shrine festival. What I cant find is info on this years event, start times etc and how proceedings are due to unfold. Ive looked at depth at anything related including reports on various annual events but am still in the dark as to exactly how the day is ran etc.

Ive practiced aikido for a little while, currently sidelined due to injury but going to japan will be a dream realised. Ive been obsessed with japan for years and having the chance to witness an event of such significance isnt one I want to miss.

Id really like to see inside the famous dojo, does anybody know if that would be possible or will that be off all limits for bystanders on the day? What would joe bloggs have acess to, I gather the picnic style affair after the ceremony and demos is strictly for members/students of the tokyo hombu dojo etc which is fine...I dont expect to be sitting with anybody else, I just feel it would be a shame to go all that way having not had the opportunity to see inside the famous dojo.

Any info or advice on the event would be much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Tore Eriksson
Japan
Re: trying to find info on aiki shrine festival, iwama 2014

Quote:
Stephen Irving wrote: View Post
Hello,

I am going to be in japan on the 29th april and plan to travel from tokyo to the shrine festival. What I cant find is info on this years event, start times etc and how proceedings are due to unfold. Ive looked at depth at anything related including reports on various annual events but am still in the dark as to exactly how the day is ran etc.
I was unable to find anything except for the date searching in Japanese... It might still be a little early.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Carl Thompson

Japan

Hello Stephen,

nice to see someone doing aikido in Penrith. I'm a Carlisle lad myself, currently in a decent position to help you.

Quote:

I've never seen a formal schedule for the day. If you get there before 10am you probably won't miss anything. The Wikipedia description is pretty accurate:

Quote:
The Aiki Shrine Festival usually starts with a "shubatsu" (a Shinto ritual), "taisai-shukuji" (ritual felicitations) and "tamagushi-hoten" (offering of sacred sprigs) by the Ueshiba family and representatives from the aikido world and local community. The attendees then take part in a ritual prayer and memorial service offered by the Ueshiba family and other dignitaries. A special Shinto prayer called the "Amatsu Norito" is recited before the current Dōshu makes a speech and a ritual demonstration of Aikido called a "hōnō embu" (奉納演武) within the haiden of the shrine. The festival usually closes with "naorai" (a celebratory meal) in the dojo and surrounding gardens, often with the azaleas in bloom.
Quote:

Id really like to see inside the famous dojo, does anybody know if that would be possible or will that be off all limits for bystanders on the day? What would joe bloggs have acess to, I gather the picnic style affair after the ceremony and demos is strictly for members/students of the tokyo hombu dojo etc which is fine...I dont expect to be sitting with anybody else, I just feel it would be a shame to go all that way having not had the opportunity to see inside the famous dojo.
It's a small dojo with lots of guests so even the uchi deshi will probably only being going inside as staff to clean and serve. Most visiting dojos take part in a system of shokken (meal tickets) so they have lunch boxes and sake prepared for them on the day but that is about as exclusive as it gets. I think it will be too busy and inconvenient to get a tour of the dojo during the festival, but if you hung around later after the cleanup you might stand a chance. That or come again another day, come for the regular training or see about becoming an uchi deshi.

Feel free to contact me by personal message for more info

Carl
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
jdm4life
United_States

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Hello Stephen,

nice to see someone doing aikido in Penrith. I'm a Carlisle lad myself, currently in a decent position to help you.

I've never seen a formal schedule for the day. If you get there before 10am you probably won't miss anything. The Wikipedia description is pretty accurate:

It's a small dojo with lots of guests so even the uchi deshi will probably only being going inside as staff to clean and serve. Most visiting dojos take part in a system of shokken (meal tickets) so they have lunch boxes and sake prepared for them on the day but that is about as exclusive as it gets. I think it will be too busy and inconvenient to get a tour of the dojo during the festival, but if you hung around later after the cleanup you might stand a chance. That or come again another day, come for the regular training or see about becoming an uchi deshi.

Feel free to contact me by personal message for more info

Carl
Thanks for that. Seems I wont be able to see inside then. I dont expect s guided tour. Just to actually see in there....aftrr sll the old photos and videos ive seen from inside it would have been good to see. Not sure whether to go or not. We only have 11 nights in total so time is precious....
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Thanks for that. Seems I wont be able to see inside then. I dont expect s guided tour. Just to actually see in there....aftrr sll the old photos and videos ive seen from inside it would have been good to see. Not sure whether to go or not. We only have 11 nights in total so time is precious....
No worries Stephen

Just to be clear, you'd be able to see inside the dojo from outside the dojo even during the ceremony. The screen-doors are removed. But if you want to physically go inside and, for example, have your photo taken in front of the kamidana etc., then Doshu, the mayor and others will be in your way.

As I said, as the day winds down it might be easier. If you do decide to come, if get in touch with me privately beforehand, I can give you some assistance. I'd be interested to hear about aikido back home in Cumbria too.

Carl
Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
robin_jet_alt
Australia

To follow on from what Carl said, the usual thing is to watch the chanting and then the demo through the gap where the screen doors have been removed and then have a picnic on the lawn. Doshu usually does the rounds and you can usually get a picture with him (you definitely can if your sensei is on good terms with him, but I'm not sure what happens if you are on your own). Actually, I wonder what I did with those pictures. I think I misplaced them when I moved house... oh well.