Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark
Eek! Self-Defense Aikido (Video)

I was cruising good ol' Google, having a random curious thought of looking up self-defense dojos in Tokyo, should I ever have the chance to return.

By accident, I stumbled across this video, on the youtube channel, from one of the sites.
I thought I would share it here, for thoughts, and as always, endless and tireless debate!

It's interesting/fun seeing Aikido techniques paired with (in, dare I say, 99% of cases) very non-Aikido techniques!

EDIT: for those that would like to know what website the YouTube channel belongs:
http://tokyosafeguard.web.fc2.com/do...gado/home.html

Old 11-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Self-Defense Aikido (Video)

Quote:
Philip Zeplin-Frederiksen wrote: View Post

It's interesting/fun seeing Aikido techniques paired with (in, dare I say, 99% of cases) very non-Aikido techniques!
which ones aren't aikido? i thought they were all aikido.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Quote:
But I thought the claim was 99% of aikido is atemi.... looks like aikido to me. Not as I practice it but definitely aikido.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Looks kinda like Hapkido to me.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Contrived, lacking aliveness, zombie like compliant attacker.... clearly Aikido.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Contrived, lacking aliveness, zombie like compliant attacker.... clearly Aikido.
Demetrio,
Amusing comment.Joking I hope??The stuff on the vid is fairly contrived. Cheers, Joe.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Cliff Judge
Japan

I am not a fan of training where the attacker throws an attack and then just poses while nage executes a combination of moves.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece

Why not? Not bad at all.
Quite close to Systema, also.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Belt_Up
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom

Quote:
They were all aikido techniques!

Quote:
I think I love you, Demetrio.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I am not a fan of training where the attacker throws an attack and then just poses while nage executes a combination of moves.
ya! don't you just hate that? methink, most of the self-defense videos on the net are kinda like that though. very strange.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

What makes this "self-defense" and other aikido not? This is just as static and just as contrived as anything in any aikido dojo.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
wolfpack
United_States

I can honestly say that in the three systems I have practiced in, I could say those techniques are from any one of them. There are only so many ways the body can be hit, thrown or manipulated. Eventually, martial art systems begin to overlap. Also, another question that will arise and did earlier is how are we being attacked? A defense versus a man attacking in armor is obviously different than one who isn't. A criminal will attack with far different intent and execution than a duel between two idiots in a bar fighting over status. When I started asking that question I, somewhat ashamedly, starting looking at fight and crime videos from places like youtube, liveleak or warriorspathredux. It was illuminating for someone who hasn't had those types of altercations, which I don't.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
What makes this "self-defense" and other aikido not? This is just as static and just as contrived as anything in any aikido dojo.
Dear Matthew,
Do not know what or where you trained in your own training.When I was in San Diego Aikikai for example , studying with Chiba Sensei /Murashige Sensei there was nothing static or contrived when you practiced in that particular dojo. If you think that this is typical of the vast majority of aikido dojos maybe you should get about more???Cheers, Joe.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #14
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
ya! don't you just hate that? methink, most of the self-defense videos on the net are kinda like that though. very strange.
Phi,
Agree with you 100%.A lot of the vids on Youtube look as though the came out of a George Romero movie. Aikido of the living dead, Zombie Irimi nage/The plague of the crap attacks.
Lets be honest the video is meant well , but the stuff shown is laughable.Then again on a positive note we would not have something to criticise if the vid was good would we?? Cheers, Joe.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Matthew,
Do not know what or where you trained in your own training.When I was in San Diego Aikikai for example , studying with Chiba Sensei /Murashige Sensei there was nothing static or contrived when you practiced in that particular dojo.
I think you and I are using different definitions of the words static and contrived.

Quote:
If you think that this is typical of the vast majority of aikido dojos maybe you should get about more???Cheers, Joe.
I didn't say that this video is typical of the vast majority of aikido.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Richard Stevens
United_States

The only impression I got from this video is that the guy would be fairly easy to smash.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Looks like a demo of waza to me more than anything else. I'd like to see uke a little more active in places and generally more fluid; some of the punches seemed extremely telegraphed...I like that it included somewhat atypical (for Aikido) atemi to the shins and I liked some of the ryotedori ideas around :42 (e.g. using the downward suppression to stuff/attack the knee).
...My wooden nickel.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
I think you and I are using different definitions of the words static and contrived.

I didn't say that this video is typical of the vast majority of aikido.
Dear Matthew,
Define your understanding of static/contrived please.Cheers, Joe.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #19
kfa4303
Dojo: North Florida School of Aikido (ASU)
United_States

I kinda like it. I think it could be handy to show beginners how they might use what can often feel like overly formal Aikido moves in a bit more of realistic/practical light. I think flipping the bill of his partner's hat is a good way to show/imply atemi as well. When folks are up front about "self-defense" techniques, I tend to cut them some slack as they're generally concerned with conveying only the most basic concepts, and of course they can't go around punching in the face either. I like think of it in musical terms. To me, this is more like a free form jam session rather than a concerto, or symphony. Not a demonstration of perfect, classical techniques by any means, but some decent adaptations of familiar ones. Of course, anything that can help someone escape/avoid a violent situation is good thing. Even if it's just yelling for help. Although, yelling "Fire!" tends to be more effective, as more people will come to see what's going on, whereas they will often run away, or ignore you if you simply yell for "help!" :/