Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Unethical Sensei

The pot you stirred leaving you with a bitter taste?

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
Daddaroo
Dojo: DNA
United_States

Krystal,

So, correct me if I am wrong KRYSTAL.

You expect me to stick my head in the sand?

You are of the think, getting into one's personals life uninvited is wrong somehow?

I'm ashamed to be in the same room as you K. I'll be leaving very soon, not because of my shame, but because most here are not willing to help a fellow Sensei.

I forgive you, for myself.

I did receive what I came here to get, so this Forum served it's purpose.

If any one here would like to converse further or in the future write: RbrtWlmsn@GMail.com

Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
Daddaroo
Dojo: DNA
United_States

MICHAEL,

Is the post about stirring the pot and bitter taste directed to me?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
You could start a thread on Aikiweb and try to ruin his reputation. Assuming everyone can figure out who you mean. Seriously, we have dojo search, showing all of 3 studios in Eugene, OR. I'm going to guess this has already blown up in your face.
Dear Bill,
p
There is a flaw in your proposal that a thread should be started to ruin the reputation of the Sensei on Aikiweb., namely the risk of defamation of somebodys character.Would you risk the possibility of legal action being taken against you , if the name of the sensei was ever revealed?i would not and I think Jun would not be prepared to do as you suggest, at least without real proof.
Cheers, Joe.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

OK. So the Original Poster states in his first post that the Sensei has bad ethics and so he wants to be a whistleblower to the aikido community. We took him at his word and addressed the issue AS HE RAISED IT. He then says, no, he didn't mean what her wrote; the Sensei is a human being who needs compassion so he is disappointed he didn't find it here....
We were not asked about counseling options, psychosocial support options - NONE of which are germane here and should be addressed with the Sensei and HIS family/community. A public internet forum is NOT the place to seek support for a third party's personal/substance/psychological problems.
We were asked about "blowing the whistle" on unethical behavior. We can only respond based on the information given.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #31
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Robert Williamson wrote: View Post
Krystal,

You are of the think, getting into one's personals life uninvited is wrong somehow?
Sticking my oar in here -- when someone is engaged in self-destructive behavior (for example, substance abuse), and does not acknowledge the problem/is not seeking help, there's an action that can be attempted, called an intervention. There are mental health professionals who participate in this forum and who can speak much more knowledgeably about interventions (my only knowledge is the hard-knocks kind you get from participating in them), but I think I'm correct in stating the following about interventions:
  1. An intervention is done by friends, family and (possibly) other people who have some kind of personal connection with the affected individual. That connection is essential; an intervention can't be done by strangers.
  2. The goal of an intervention is not to fix the affected individual's problem, but to convince them to seek help in fixing it. Other people cannot fix these problems; the affected person must do the fixing, others can only support.

No one "expects" you to do anything, or to not do anything. If you believe an intervention is called for, I'd suggest learning all you can about how to conduct a successful intervention, and enlist the help of others who also have a personal connection to this individual. That would give you the best chance for success at what you claim you want to accomplish.

Quote:
Robert Williamson wrote: View Post
I'm ashamed to be in the same room as you K. I'll be leaving very soon, not because of my shame, but because most here are not willing to help a fellow Sensei.

That's the most maladroit attempt at child psychology and emotional blackmail that I've seen in some time.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
Krystal Locke
United_States

Ok, answer this question first, please. Is English your native language? Oh, and is this problem really happening to someone you know, or are you trying to work your stuff out through a hypothetical proxy? You are not consistent with describing the problem, and that makes it sound like you are trying to cover something up. That wont help you fix your problem. Yes, it is your problem, you are bringing it the internet.

Yes, I will be correcting you. I am advocating that you either step up and deal directly with your problems with this person, or you get him professional help. What you are doing right now is wringing your hands and spreading someone you care about's dirty laundry around the aikido community. That is not cool.

You need to be clear what, exactly, you think sensei's/friend's/your actual ethical problem is. Is it the alcohol, the hurting someone, the withdrawing from aikido? Is it a habitual thing, or an isolated incident? Are the problems recent, emergent, or in the past? Is it something you can do anything about? Is it a problem you need to do something about?

Yes, I think that getting into someone else's personal life is wrong somehow. And I think it is somehow right and necessary sometimes. Intervention is fraught with all sorts of danger. Posting here is not intervention.

I expect that someone with aikido experience will learn to choose their battles. You are right in the middle of getting that lesson, and you have several people here who are telling you that you are on the edge of some big mistakes. You really want to get your story straight and clear before you start asking for strangers' advice.

Well, it is a good thing that you are not in the same room as I am, then. Dont like the answers to the questions you ask? Ask different questions, or, just maybe, learn from the answers you are given. I'm not sorry that I am not coddling you about this garbled, unintelligible problem you have dumped here, and I have no idea why you would be ashamed about the things I say. Why bother with forgiveness? Is it a sin on my part to tell you what I think?

We're all busy rescuing our own sensei... Good thing the martial arts masters have all these students to save them from themselves.

So you got what you came for, I'm curious to know what that is.

Quote:

I did receive what I came here to get, so this Forum served it's purpose.

If any one here would like to converse further or in the future write: RbrtWlmsn@GMail.com

Last edited by Krystal Locke : 10-09-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Fix a couple typs...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #33
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

ROBERT, yes, that was directed to you. You described a situation in a relatively unclear manner and asked for advice. People started giving you advice based entirely on what you described and you clearly began taking offense. Then you changed the description of the scenario significantly and appeared to become even more offended to the point where you suggested you were going to leave the discussion. Several people gave you advice that could prove helpful - myself included and now you appear angry, or at least disappointed.

I understand both ethical and unethical behavior.
I understand substance abuse.
I understand violence.
I understand abuse based on power.
I understand what whistleblowing is, both in spirit and by legal definition.
I understand human frailty.
I DON'T understand the situation you keep describing differently.
I DON'T understand your apparent anger and disappointment.

Good luck with whatever it is you are trying to address.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Bill,
p
There is a flaw in your proposal that a thread should be started to ruin the reputation of the Sensei on Aikiweb., namely the risk of defamation of somebodys character.Would you risk the possibility of legal action being taken against you , if the name of the sensei was ever revealed?i would not and I think Jun would not be prepared to do as you suggest, at least without real proof.
Cheers, Joe.
C'mon, Joe. The guy had already done exactly that and I was sarcastically pointing out how many people will be able to figure out who he's talking about, go tell them and cause a $h!+ storm in Eugene, OR.

Give a guy some credit!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #35
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
We're all busy rescuing our own sensei... Good thing the martial arts masters have all these students to save them from themselves.
Best quote in the thread?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
BEleanor

Hi,

I trained in Eugene for a number of years, and I don't think whoever this is can be talking about anyone there. There is no one even remotely fitting this description in Eugene, that I know of. The OP even said so, I think. The aikido community in Eugene is remarkably clean-living, hard-working, harmonious and peaceable, unless things there have changed a lot in a very short time Some great aikido too.

B

Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
akiy

At this point, I don't see this discussion going anywhere positive. There are a lot of good suggestions in the thread that I believe applies to the original poster's intentions.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread