Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #76
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Do any of you guys practice the Nikka jo variation where you cut toward your knee drag and uke toward you? That one can make you wet your dogi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #77
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,059
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Michael Hacker wrote: View Post
Three words: Don't Push Back. (Four words: Don't Push Back. Ever.)
Dear Michael,
Your answer at least for me is as clear as mud. `cheers, `joe
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #78
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,835
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Do any of you guys practice the Nikka jo variation where you cut toward your knee drag and uke toward you? That one can make you wet your dogi.
Dragging uke towards me (or in any direction) is never part of my repertoire so very much a YMMV issue!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #79
mjhacker
 
mjhacker's Avatar
Dojo: Renshinkan
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 198
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Your answer at least for me is as clear as mud. `cheers, `joe
I don't know how to express it much more clearly. Words don't really work until you've felt it. Then, they work just fine.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #80
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Dragging uke towards me (or in any direction) is never part of my repertoire so very much a YMMV issue!
OMG, Janet. You have to promise me you will try this one. It''s delightful. You would apply this as a henka the next time you go for nikkyo and don't quite have it. If uke is giving you resistance to the drive toward the ground, you can switch your grip and draw him in, cutting with downward pressure against the wrist, as you back up as many steps as is practical.

The hand you're holding their hand with stays the same. The key is to rake the top of their forearm (really, the bottom of their forearm, which is turned upward at that point) with the bottom edge of your's, (toward you) instead of grasping their wrist. You know the lightning bolts you get from yonka jo? Uke will follow you to Japan, trying to get ahead of this one. Sorry I don't have a good .gif to offer. If you practice it once, you will figure it out.

You know who would like this? Marie Noelle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #81
mjhacker
 
mjhacker's Avatar
Dojo: Renshinkan
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 198
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Dragging uke towards me (or in any direction) is never part of my repertoire so very much a YMMV issue!
Agreed. I never want to pull uke into me, let alone drag him anywhere.

PS: I'm liking a lot of what you're saying lately. It's been too long since I've had my hands on you. We need to remedy that as soon as possible.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #82
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Michael Hacker wrote: View Post
I don't know how to express it much more clearly. Words don't really work until you've felt it. Then, they work just fine.l
I get what you're saying, but I don't believe in absolutes like that. Those kinds of concepts are not going to keep you from being abducted, if you are suddenly in the wrong country, or suffer some other mishap. You don't know. I'm not living under the threat of violence every day, but crazy $h!!+ happens every day. A few hours a week I can spend some time on it. That's just being prudent. I mean, you're already there in the dojo sweating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #83
mjhacker
 
mjhacker's Avatar
Dojo: Renshinkan
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 198
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
I get what you're saying, but I don't believe in absolutes like that. Those kinds of concepts are not going to keep you from being abducted, if you are suddenly in the wrong country, or suffer some other mishap. You don't know. I'm not living under the threat of violence every day, but crazy $h!!+ happens every day. A few hours a week I can spend some time on it. That's just being prudent. I mean, you're already there in the dojo sweating.
Are we talking about Liam Neeson rescuing his daughter now? I thought we were talking about training in a dojo. If you want to talk about doing this stuff "for real," that's a different conversation.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #84
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

You can make up whatever scenario you think is plausible. You're not forced to do that, either. I am going to train a couple times a week. Personally, I would feel like I was wasting my time if I weren't getting some practical skills out of it. And I would switch dojos. But I don't, so that tells you something about the range of Aikido experiences you can have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #85
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

And I think it's appropriate to have a conversation about doing this "for real". Why not? I see you have some budo in your dojo description. What are they teaching you there?

I just noticed you live in AZ. Do you not go to Mexico?

Last edited by Bill Danosky : 10-04-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Mexico question
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #86
mjhacker
 
mjhacker's Avatar
Dojo: Renshinkan
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 198
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
And I think it's appropriate to have a conversation about doing this "for real". Why not? I see you have some budo in your dojo description. What are they teaching you there?
If you're really interested in what we teach here, feel free to drop by if you're ever in the area. Our contact info is in my signature. We also have lots of good places to eat. Just avoid Phoenix in the summer. Too damn hot.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #87
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

If I have to base it on your sales pitch, you may be toward the end of the list, Mike.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #88
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
Location: Peterborough, NH
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 632
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Do any of you guys practice the Nikka jo variation where you cut toward your knee drag and uke toward you? That one can make you wet your dogi.
My teacher shows this, as an option in certain situations. He also teaches that you shouldn't depend on pain compliance for nikkyo to work, so go figure.

"Drag" is probably not the best term, though it's inevitable shorthand. It's more like: make a hole, lock up uke's structure so there's no where else for him to go, and the more he falls into it the more hole you make. It looks a lot like dragging.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #89
mjhacker
 
mjhacker's Avatar
Dojo: Renshinkan
Location: Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 198
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
If I have to base it on your sales pitch, you may be toward the end of the list, Mike.
I don't make sales pitches. In fact, we generally try to talk people out of training with us. What I did was invite you openly to visit my home. How you responded tells me all I need to know about who you are.

Serves me right for trying to engage in a friendly exchange of information in a public forum. I think I have nothing further to say here.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #90
tarik
 
tarik's Avatar
Dojo: Iwae Dojo
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 509
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Michael,
Your answer at least for me is as clear as mud. `cheers, `joe
Try taking his words absolutely literally and have them affect your ukemi? They really couldn't be more clear, but IME, people push back all the time even when they claim they aren't.

Tarik Ghbeish
MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #91
tarik
 
tarik's Avatar
Dojo: Iwae Dojo
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 509
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Do any of you guys practice the Nikka jo variation where you cut toward your knee drag and uke toward you? That one can make you wet your dogi.
When tori does that to me, they usually get dumped on their ass through the hand they are putting through their "impossible nikyo", not because I'm being mean, but because any time you drag uke anywhere, uke can take you if uke is allowed (or required) to be honest.

Tarik Ghbeish
MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #92
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Michael Hacker wrote: View Post
I don't make sales pitches. In fact, we generally try to talk people out of training with us. What I did was invite you openly to visit my home. How you responded tells me all I need to know about who you are.

Serves me right for trying to engage in a friendly exchange of information in a public forum. I think I have nothing further to say here.
Don't be insulted, Mike. It was just a joke, lost in translation. You did a fair job of discouraging me and then warned me about the heat, so I said you weren't selling it very well. Much is lost in text-only communication.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #93
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
When tori does that to me, they usually get dumped on their ass through the hand they are putting through their "impossible nikyo", not because I'm being mean, but because any time you drag uke anywhere, uke can take you if uke is allowed (or required) to be honest.
Again, there are no absolutes. Any time you do anything, you're vulnerable to a counter. As I mentioned earlier on one thread or another, watching MMA does have it's plusses- It reveals that even world champion fighters land techniques a fraction of the times they attempt them.

This is henka waza, so it's difficult to test repeatedly. But you and I both know if we did it 10 times, you are going to dump me X times and I'm going to drag you X times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #94
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
"Drag" is probably not the best term, though it's inevitable shorthand... It looks a lot like dragging.
This is an astute observation. "Cutting toward your knee, as you take a number of steps backward" is pretty ungainly, and isn't that much better a description. Guess a picture really is worth a thousand words.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #95
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,835
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Michael Hacker wrote: View Post
Agreed. I never want to pull uke into me, let alone drag him anywhere.

PS: I'm liking a lot of what you're saying lately. It's been too long since I've had my hands on you. We need to remedy that as soon as possible.
I'd love to get together w/ you, Tarik, Chuck, etc...it's darn hard for me to get to Bay Area or to Tarik's unless I'm going to stay put in the area for a few days, which means considerable advance planning....but am very much open to aiming for it!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #96
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Michael Hacker wrote: View Post
Three words: Don't Push Back. (Four words: Don't Push Back. Ever.)
How do you teach them that, though? I'm assuming there's more to it that just explaining those words to them, but I'm wondering what the teaching looks like in practice, if they aren't actually dealing with pain when they're training. Is it like, they are taught and practice not pushing back and the goal is to make it enough of an automatic habit that it they do encounter pain, they already have the right habit of how to respond? Or there is occasionally some pain, it's just very mild, but it's enough that they can try out ways of responding and learn the correct response that works and cement it into the automatic part of their brain? Basically, if they don't encounter pain when they're training, how do you prevent the panic response when they do encounter pain, where they get surprised and respond in a way that makes it worse? Or have I misunderstood what's meant by not causing pain?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #97
Malicat
Dojo: Sei-Ryo, Flat Rock, NC
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
United_States
Online
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Bill, if you can get me a video of this, I'd love to try it. I think I am lacking in some mental ability in translating words to physical actions, but I love a good nikkyo. We have quite a few super flexible young men we train with, and pain compliance on some techniques is hard to come by. I've got one that I refer to as "the fancy nikkyo" that works with pain compliance on all of them, and I'd love to learn another one.

--Ashley

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
The hand you're holding their hand with stays the same. The key is to rake the top of their forearm (really, the bottom of their forearm, which is turned upward at that point) with the bottom edge of your's, (toward you) instead of grasping their wrist. You know the lightning bolts you get from yonka jo? Uke will follow you to Japan, trying to get ahead of this one. Sorry I don't have a good .gif to offer. If you practice it once, you will figure it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #98
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
Bill, if you can get me a video of this, I'd love to try it. I think I am lacking in some mental ability in translating words to physical actions, but I love a good nikkyo. We have quite a few super flexible young men we train with, and pain compliance on some techniques is hard to come by. I've got one that I refer to as "the fancy nikkyo" that works with pain compliance on all of them, and I'd love to learn another one.

--Ashley
I'm trying to find a video for you. Tell us about your fancy nikkyo in the meantime. It's just a discussion, so you don't have to be a Shihan to offer something.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #99
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,703
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

i had folks cranking on my wrist, elbows and so on. some even tore my shoulder. but folks did that, never got my center. then there are folks whose nikkyo and sankyo so gentle that you just have no choice and your center broken the whole time. this video is one of those gentle folks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hg_o...EC46C5073AE044 that i had my hands on. Mary Heiny's nikkyo also very nice and gentle, but she also had at least 3 atemi on you before the technique was over. i really don't care for folks who crank on my wrist with both of their hands which allow me to drop fast and go for groin shot or kick to their knees.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #100
Bill Danosky
 
Bill Danosky's Avatar
Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 433
United_States
Offline
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
i had folks cranking on my wrist, elbows and so on. some even tore my shoulder. but folks did that, never got my center. then there are folks whose nikkyo and sankyo so gentle that you just have no choice and your center broken the whole time.. i really don't care for folks who crank on my wrist with both of their hands which allow me to drop fast and go for groin shot or kick to their knees.
You come up with some gems.

Ankle pick is a great counter for a sloppy Nikkyo, too. Takes the pressure off and works like a charm. You just fake like it worked and stand back up with his foot in your hand. Or a handful of dogi cuff.

Anybody ever do a Shiho Nage on someone's leg? Never seen it done, but that might be a good time.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Correlation of Aikido and Daito-Ryu Waza John Driscoll Columns 28 08-04-2013 05:01 PM
nikyo Charles Aarons Training 12 07-23-2012 10:41 AM
Easy ikkyo, painless nikkyo, attacking nikkyo? graham Techniques 50 06-09-2008 10:08 AM
Nikyo Basics Brad Allen Techniques 12 02-11-2007 08:08 PM
Nikyo or Ikkyo or something Else? Sreyan Techniques 20 01-30-2006 06:25 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate