Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: Are you interrupting attacks?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
the yokomen strike that we practiced isn't the standard wideass swing that many aikido folks do. it's more like the karate reverse knife hand strike. the trajectory is straight in like a punch to the face with a hips rotation at the end to give it a slight curve. ya, our yokomen took the center line, then slight deviation at the end to go for the side of the throat. normal aikido entry as you described above won't work. just my 2 cents.
Hmmm. Yeah I dunno. Yokomenuchi and shomenuchi are really supposed to be sword cuts. But it is understandable to feel like you are wasting uke's training time by having her spend all of this energy making a pretend sword cut, so the tendency is going to be to change them both into hammerfists or something, with a flatter trajectory and less windup.

Theoretically, somebody could pull off the entry I am describing on a flat-trajectory strike that has minimal wind up, but in practice it will always be sort of a mess and you'd naturally find some other technique to do instead.

I'd still like to give a try....
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Oh, that was different. I was responding to this comment, which was clearly a criticism:

I meant we do it that way because that is the technique. We intercept the Yokomen while it is still winding up.
i kinda see where you're going with this. in yoshinkan, the entrance when stopping yokomen uchi is visibly a 'strike.'

the entrance is' different' from an irimi movement from, say, tanto tori tsuki irimi nage... when you see ando sensei or inoue sensei do this, their movement is initiated as uke starts to chamber his arm to strike.

practice hard
Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Quote:
for me, it doesn't matter that much on when and where. i have worked with the strike from starting point all the way to almost hitting me and anywhere in between. it's a game i play actually just to see if i don't bang the arms, still disrupt uke's balance, and stay relax at the same time. my favorite spot lately has been waiting for the strike to almost hit my head, then bring my arm up to deflect and not moving my feet at all.
Nifty!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
for me, it doesn't matter that much on when and where. i have worked with the strike from starting point all the way to almost hitting me and anywhere in between. it's a game i play actually just to see if i don't bang the arms, still disrupt uke's balance, and stay relax at the same time. my favorite spot lately has been waiting for the strike to almost hit my head, then bring my arm up to deflect and not moving my feet at all. sort of a wingchun version then follow with a shiho nage or whatever depends on uke's balance. of course, now folks would scream "That's not aikido". my answer would be "that's my aikido. go away!".
"let me show you that footwork again..."
With my bum knee I'm doing as little footwork as I can get away with. Means I sometimes come close to getting clipped by a yokomenuchi or a munetskuki but I'm willing to risk it to learn the margins.
I don't know if I'd call what I'm aiming to do an "interruption" as much as a momentary disruption - both George Ledyard Sensei and Chuck Clark Sensei talk about ways of creating disruption in a way that doesn't make uke either root or immediately change attacks, creating an opening. I find a lot to play with in there....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
for me, it doesn't matter that much on when and where. i have worked with the strike from starting point all the way to almost hitting me and anywhere in between. it's a game i play actually just to see if i don't bang the arms, still disrupt uke's balance, and stay relax at the same time. my favorite spot lately has been waiting for the strike to almost hit my head, then bring my arm up to deflect and not moving my feet at all. sort of a wingchun version then follow with a shiho nage or whatever depends on uke's balance. of course, now folks would scream "That's not aikido". my answer would be "that's my aikido. go away!".
That is more like what I was getting at.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #31
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

In my place (learned from our people) we nearly always attempt to interrupt the attack, if you mean make a lateral contact witht he attacking item (arm/leg, hand/foot, knife/stick/long blade/long stick... it's part of the kuzushi, and once the kuzushi happens, that's where the actually application of technique "is" so to speak, is in the uke's recovery to the kuzushi. He/she jumps at you, you get out of the way with the nifty footwork we all love, dink him/her balance by a touch/bump/poke, they start to go in a -- to them -- strange direction, and maybe even jerk themselves strongly. And that's where the knock down technique, or whatever, lives.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes