Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,087
United_States
Offline
Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

New blog post!

"Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3"

Enjoy!

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Peter Goldsbury's Avatar
Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,004
Japan
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

Hello Chris,

It is very good that you are translating this lecture. Have you come across a book published in 2008 by Serge Mol? The title is Invisible Armor: An Introduction to the Esoteric Dimension of Japan's Classical Warrior Arts and he deals with many of the Mikkyou concepts discussed by Tada Shihan.

P A Goldsbury
_______________________
Hiroshima, Japan
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,087
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Chris,

It is very good that you are translating this lecture. Have you come across a book published in 2008 by Serge Mol? The title is Invisible Armor: An Introduction to the Esoteric Dimension of Japan's Classical Warrior Arts and he deals with many of the Mikkyou concepts discussed by Tada Shihan.
I've seen it, but I've never read it. Do you recommend it? I don't know much about Serge Mol except what I read here.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Peter Goldsbury's Avatar
Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,004
Japan
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

I have mixed feelings about his two earlier books and I am not really in a position to recommend this one. I received it only recently, but a superficial reading offers a basis for relating what Tada Shihan discusses about Mikkyou to Morihei Ueshiba's own training.

P A Goldsbury
_______________________
Hiroshima, Japan
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
JW
 
JW's Avatar
Location: San Francisco CA USA
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 510
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

Wow! I was happy to see thee previous parts of this interview being published, but now I am ecstatic. Thanks!
I think this is one of the best aikido lectures I have read-- the ones from the founder being usually my favorite. But, this one is much more explicit than those, regarding what a student should research to really start to understand. It is also consistent with some other stuff I've been researching (see below).

Since Tada Sensei brought up Buddhism, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this.
I think it is really helpful especially from the point of view of the sentiment described in the lecture: that is, all religions being expressions of a single source, and Buddhism being central to the techniques of spiritual training in Japan. (Meaning this book may be directly applicable to an aikidoka's spiritual explorations.)

I am still trying to read it, but specifically, this book has two things of particular interest here: 1) the intro, describing the Buddha's own training and development of his understanding - very interesting when compared to this lecture and O-sensei's; 2) description of meditation techniques used and recommended by the Buddha - Dhyana is treated in great detail (spelled Jhana since the book uses Pali not Sanskrit) as being a tool for realizing one's unity with the universe. The point of entry for a beginner is also explicitly described as a breath-based meditation technique.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,087
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
Wow! I was happy to see thee previous parts of this interview being published, but now I am ecstatic. Thanks!
I think this is one of the best aikido lectures I have read-- the ones from the founder being usually my favorite. But, this one is much more explicit than those, regarding what a student should research to really start to understand. It is also consistent with some other stuff I've been researching (see below).

Since Tada Sensei brought up Buddhism, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this.
I think it is really helpful especially from the point of view of the sentiment described in the lecture: that is, all religions being expressions of a single source, and Buddhism being central to the techniques of spiritual training in Japan. (Meaning this book may be directly applicable to an aikidoka's spiritual explorations.)

I am still trying to read it, but specifically, this book has two things of particular interest here: 1) the intro, describing the Buddha's own training and development of his understanding - very interesting when compared to this lecture and O-sensei's; 2) description of meditation techniques used and recommended by the Buddha - Dhyana is treated in great detail (spelled Jhana since the book uses Pali not Sanskrit) as being a tool for realizing one's unity with the universe. The point of entry for a beginner is also explicitly described as a breath-based meditation technique.
I haven't read it yet, but I had trouble getting to the link, there was an extra <br> tag on the end - try:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a...ngs/index.html

Anyway, glad that you enjoyed it, I guess that means that I'm in the ecstasy business.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
JW
 
JW's Avatar
Location: San Francisco CA USA
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 510
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Anyway, glad that you enjoyed it, I guess that means that I'm in the ecstasy business.
As usual, sounds like yet another case of either "we already do that" or "that's not aikido" depending on who you ask!
Thanks for the link update.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,087
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada - the Yachimata Lecture, Part 3

And now - Part 3 is available in Romanian, courtesy of Aikido Jurnal. The original version in English is available here.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An interview with Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Isoyama, Part 2 Chris Li Websites 0 02-17-2013 06:49 PM
Yoshinkai - Beyond the "Hard Style" Label Susan Dalton Columns 8 11-16-2011 07:53 AM
YouTube: Golden Center Sword graham christian General 121 12-11-2010 07:37 AM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 12 Peter Goldsbury Columns 32 05-16-2009 07:05 PM
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 09:31 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate