Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #51
Gerardo Torres
United_States
Re: Bokken, Jo, Sword?

Quote:
Allan Davis wrote: View Post
What length Jo staff is most popular for Aikido practice? Also, what to look for if looking at buying a metal sword? All around, to display, maybe practice some.. etc. Not a real high dollar one, something mid range.
Hi Allan,

I've seen a wide variety of weapon styles and builds used in aikido dojo. Not knowing what sort of practice you'll be engaging in, here's some general advise:

Bokken / bokuto

If your training is going to involve heavy/hard impact against other weapons, invest in a high-quality bokuto with proper grain structure. Shiro kashi (Japanese white oak) is a common choice (good value). American hickory is also highly recommended for hard impact training. If your training is going to involve power-building exercises and a lot of suburi, get a bokuto that feels comfortable in the hand, is well balanced, and is hefty (to give you a bit of challenge as opposed to too-light a training instrument). If your practice involves the use of tsuba, make sure the bokuto is designed to be fitted with one (usually a transition or nudge between tsuka and "blade"). If your training involves kumi-iai (paired iai), the common plastic saya available from vendors only fit certain types of bokuto.

Jo

I'd recommend against laminated construction. Also, it's best to buy a longer jo that you can always cut to your teacher's or style's specification. White oak, hickory are also good jo materials, although there's always the array of exotic woods to choose from (depending on your budget).

Iaito / Shinken

If you plan on training with a live blade, please get yourself some proper instruction first. If you're going to practice iai as some aikido schools do, get yourself a properly balanced katana -- some (most) of those cheap shinken people use and recommend are poorly balanced and/or don't have enough sori (curvature) for iai training. So, a good iaito (non-sharp alloy blade) might be a better investment. Keep in mind that depending on where you train, a live blade might not be allowed or practical (certain state facilities, or travel into certain countries, or training in crowded rooms), so a iaito would be better suited. Training with a live blade is fundamental to heighten the seriousness of training, but only when it's safe and practical to do so. If what you're interested in is chopping rolled mats and such, the cheap shinken would do the trick; in my personal view though, I think this practice has little bujutsu value.

Last edited by Gerardo Torres : 05-21-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Ikashi Dojo, Port au Prince
Haiti
Re: Bokken, Jo, Sword?

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
May I ask what it is that you do when you handle a live sword?
I do kata, and I practice suburi, basic techniques. I found that the sharp blade forces me to be more careful about the position of the edge of the blade.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches