Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Books on Shinwa and or Shin'ei taido?

I've been interested in learning more on Shin'ei taido, Noriaki Inoue's take on Aiki Budo, are there any books on the subject? It's very hard to find information about it. And outside of a group in the midwest (US) I can't find anyone practicing the system, or written accounts of the system.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Books on Shinwa and or Shin'ei taido?

Have you seen the DVD on Aikido Journal?

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Ellis Amdur

Chris - It is all quite cryptic. I'm actually working on a piece, gathering together the data I can assemble. It'll either be a chapter in Dueling with Osensei (2nd edition) or a stand-alone essay. What I can say is that Inoue blew people away at one point - including very powerful and scary karateka, including Egami Shigeru, who studied with him eight years. I've been told that Egami kept a diary of his training - but that it's held by the family. Shotokai, his erstwhile organization has broken into many factions - the politics should be quite familiar to aikidoka - and at least right now, there seems no way to get access to the diary.

In his latter years, Inoue - well, you've probably seen the later part of the AJ film - it's painful to watch - apparently, he didn't leave any strong successors in his own group. His legacy seems to be more in principles absorbed by the karateka - and even there, it seems to be watered down.

Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

I wasn't aware of the connection between Inoue and the Shotokai.

I have long been intrigued by what I have seen of Mitsusuke Harada, the head of Shotokai here in the UK, and a student of Egami's, and have strongly suspected that he has had some connection with an Aiki art. I know he has friends within the aikido community (Chiba Sensei, in particular), but I assumed that that was as far as the influence went.

Here is a short (poor quality, I'm afraid) clip of Harada demonstrating - this is definitely not your standard JKA Shotokan karate!

Alex

Last edited by Alex Megann : 05-15-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post

Here is a short (poor quality, I'm afraid) clip of Harada demonstrating - this is definitely not your standard JKA Shotokan karate!

Alex
that is beautiful! for a moment there, i thought he did aikido. yup, not the standard Shotokan for sure.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Here's a YouTube clip of Noriaki Inoue. Can anyone date this film?

I found it fascinating - in his manner and body movement he is the closest to pre-war O-Sensei I have seen...

Alex
Old 05-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I have watched the AJ Inoue film many times, I think it's a great resource. I am looking for some written accounts of the Shin'ei teido syllabus. It's a shame that Inoue didn't have any great students, I like the way he moves, and what appears to be his take on Aiki(do, budo, etc).