Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #51
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Combat and war affecting the early training training of Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Awesome. If u get to Stuttgart let me know. One of my training partners/students is going to command Marine Corps Special Operqtions School at Lejuene next summer, so I am looking forward to working with the MARSOF guys there.

I have done CQB and that is my background so I concentrate my H2H training more to deal with managing that environment...sort of like the house of pain, but more tactical. MACP transitioned a couple of years ago to TTPs, and detention/control techniques. I am not a huge fan of doing that at that point in training, but that's the way it goes in the institutional environment. That's another story.

Give me a shout if you are ever this way.
Will do, I would love to get back to Germany. This year I came from 130 deg F in AFG and landed on a cool, misty mid-morning in Frankfurt which was one of the best sensations in my life. I would to get back and spend more than a handful of hours in Germany.

One of my jobs is training MARSOC teams in their pre-deployment workup at Irwin...so maybe I'll run into your friend one day.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #52
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Tomiki did stop in at hombu occasionally, but I don't think he had a major impact there. I don't know if Shioda stopped in or not - but I've never heard that he did. He did stay in Iwama for a short time, but disappeared one day, only to turn up with the opening of the Yoshinkan.

Best,

Chris
In Tomiki's case he gave an occasional class into the early 1960s but far from regular - he was quite busy at Waseda. I think it is safe to say he was not part of the post-war teaching cadre but might have been brought in as a guest lecturer so to speak. He shows up every now and then in pictures of honbu events well past that but I would guess not as part of the official structure.

With a few exceptions I always had the impression there was a real house cleaning - it might not even have been deliberate. Ueshiba M. was not there so why bother or even more simply the centre of your life moves elsewhere.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #53
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

I just watched this film about PTSD, interesting and also quite heartbreaking study of human suffering
related to war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=KaX-pvae4gw#!

Bes regards
Lars
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Although it is dated now, this is/was an interesting thread. I would like to point out a couple things:

(1) As regards the original posting and the question of Ueshiba's war experience's influence on the development of aikido: please note that at the time Ueshiba was in Hawaii and stated that his biggest regret was taking human life, a lot had happened since he had taken human life. It's possible that Ueshiba's time in the Russo-Japanese War affected his aikido, but that he didn't regret any taking of human life until much later. So, perhaps war's affect on aikido is unconnected to the conversation in Hawaii.

(2) According to Shioda Gozo in Aikido Shugyo and Aikido Jinsei, his experience of fighting (and killing?) in Shanghai during WWII greatly affected his aikido.

(2a) I talked with a senshusei graduate who told me that all Shioda's stories are bunk. I have no way to evaluate that claim. However, if it is true... then, since Shioda was training with Ueshiba after his Russo-Japanese experiences but before WWII, it's possible that Shioda believed confabulating a story about life and death experience was important because he believed a life and death experience was important to budo training based on his time training with Ueshiba.

(3) 1924-1925 is not a random time to go to Mongolia. It was just at the time Mongolia became communist. That raises the question in my mind of why Ueshiba was interested in Mongolia. Did he know what he was getting into? Mongolia is a strange place to go to set up a community since farming there is very difficult and the winters are extreme.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!