Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
dreamborn
 
dreamborn's Avatar
Dojo: Aikikai Tanshinjuku/Lafayette, CO
Location: Westminster, CO
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
United_States
Offline
Blush! Shrinkage

Anyone have any advice on sizing of a Gi to take into account shinkage? I have purchased gi's from Iwata, Tozando, e-Budo and Bujin. Each shrank at least 1 size and some 1.5 to 2 sizes. Now before you post let me tell you I always wash them in cold and hang them to dry. But they still shrink. Personally I hate the 'unknown' factor of getting a gi that fits. I have also notice that sometimes a gi/model by a manufacturer shrinks differently even when I get the same size (of course there is a year between when I order).

Any thoughts?

風柳 剣人
www.aikitsj.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Malicat
Dojo: Sei-Ryo, Flat Rock, NC
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 138
United_States
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

Quote:
Kent Krumvieda wrote: View Post
Anyone have any advice on sizing of a Gi to take into account shinkage? I have purchased gi's from Iwata, Tozando, e-Budo and Bujin. Each shrank at least 1 size and some 1.5 to 2 sizes. Now before you post let me tell you I always wash them in cold and hang them to dry. But they still shrink. Personally I hate the 'unknown' factor of getting a gi that fits. I have also notice that sometimes a gi/model by a manufacturer shrinks differently even when I get the same size (of course there is a year between when I order).

Any thoughts?
Kent, I order mine from Asian World of Martial Arts, (awma.com) and I haven't had shrinkage issues with mine. I order the ProForce ones, and they're pretty inexpensive, and have shockingly held up quite well over the last year, especially since mine get thrown in the dryer with no regard to care. I do own 6 of them though, so even when I was training 5 days a week, each gi only got washed about once a week. Most of the guys in my dojo wear the Mugen Karate gi, but I really dislike the drawstring only on the pants. The ProForce ones I buy have an elastic waist with a drawstring. I have one of the Mugen tops, and I like it well enough, but the ties are thick, so it's hard to get a good knot to keep them closed well, although it hasn't shrunk much at all.

--Ashley
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,744
United_States
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
Kent, I order mine from Asian World of Martial Arts, (awma.com) and I haven't had shrinkage issues with mine. I order the ProForce ones, and they're pretty inexpensive, and have shockingly held up quite well over the last year, especially since mine get thrown in the dryer with no regard to care. I do own 6 of them though, so even when I was training 5 days a week, each gi only got washed about once a week. Most of the guys in my dojo wear the Mugen Karate gi, but I really dislike the drawstring only on the pants. The ProForce ones I buy have an elastic waist with a drawstring. I have one of the Mugen tops, and I like it well enough, but the ties are thick, so it's hard to get a good knot to keep them closed well, although it hasn't shrunk much at all.

--Ashley
i have been trying to find some replacement gi for the bujin ones. i will try the ProForce ones to see if that would work. Karate middle-weight?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Malicat
Dojo: Sei-Ryo, Flat Rock, NC
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 138
United_States
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
i have been trying to find some replacement gi for the bujin ones. i will try the ProForce ones to see if that would work. Karate middle-weight?
Yep, they hold up quite nicely, although my new favorite is the gladiator series, 8oz. http://www.awma.com/productdetail/37...nts-white.html

They've held up nicely, and are relatively cheap. Although, to be honest, when I saw you commented on a post entitled "shrinkage" I was slightly disappointed that you were replying to me.

--Ashley
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center
Location: chicago
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 326
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

I thought the name of the thread was a typo... Shrinkage ryu.

That's how out of it I am tonite

practice hard
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,744
United_States
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
I thought the name of the thread was a typo... Shrinkage ryu.

That's how out of it I am tonite
It's a little known, actually quite well hidden, which is really in plain sight, that there are two schools practicing deadly ancient marital arts: Mucho shrinkage ryu and Mucho no-shrinkage ryu. They both have internal practice of yin yang, in yo ho, often out yo ho, and sometimes hi dee ho. They also practiced kitadama by chanting "hi ho! hi ho! off to work we go!" What has not been known, which is to say of acknowledging made up facts, that these two schools have been waging a secret war since the beginning of time, which meant yesterday, or closer to the day before today when i read this post. The conflict started when phi the barbarian, wearer of religious short, which has been of late very holes, accidentially, so he claimed, dried a load of delicates internal gi of the Mucho no-shrinkage ryu's high priestess that also known as the wife, bearer of bad tiding during the games, holler of taking out the garbage. The high priestess voice had increased several octave to the level of shattering nerves that produced major wincing affects on the high priest of the other ryu which also happened to be phi, the wearer of holy short, which soon be the wearer of crapping in my short.

"What did you do to my expensive Victoria Secrets stuffs ?!!!" High priestess holler.
"Look at this! Look at this!" continued the priestess in stuck record fashion. At which point the high priest made the mistake of openning his yap,
"I am looking! What is it?"
"It's my favorite Victoria Secrets! It cost $100! You shrank it, you idiot!" high priestess still at extreme range of sonics boom.
At which point the high priest made another tactical error and replied,
"$100 for that?! and you yelled at me for the palm size hand twisted activating cordless screw driver for $50!" the high priest also wondered how did she knew his secret middle name "yuidiot".
While too busy with his own thoughts, he did not noticed the high priestess employed an ancient thermic technique which sucked the head from the room, and drop the temperature to the hell-freeze-over degree Celcius. The high priest, for whatever reason, is denser this time which cuased him to keep open his yap, and said thing along the dmz line,
"I thought most women want their Victoria Secrets small to the point of disappearing!" The high priest continued lamenting why called Victoria Secrets when most the stuffs exposed a great deal, the kind of which should be, in many cases, hidden and thrown away the key, lest visage counternance of such things caused men to go mad at first sight. At which point the high priest's thought was rudely interupted by a pitcher of ice water which the high priestess has deposited down the high priest's holy short. This water boarding action, aye violating certain Geneva convention, thus caused unholy terror to the high priest where he loudly used high level kotodama "AAAIIIIEEEEOOOOO...." and realized that his unholy staff of priestly office had shrunk to nothing. However, true to his priestly nature, he yelled out, "what about our schedule duel of unholy alliance tonight?!" to this the high priestess reponded, still at extreme sonic boom, "You can duel with Rosie the priestess of Palms!"
The high priest groaned loudly, "AGAIN?!!!"

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Malicat
Dojo: Sei-Ryo, Flat Rock, NC
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 138
United_States
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
It's a little known, actually quite well hidden, which is really in plain sight, that there are two schools practicing deadly ancient marital arts: Mucho shrinkage ryu and Mucho no-shrinkage ryu. They both have internal practice of yin yang, in yo ho, often out yo ho, and sometimes hi dee ho. They also practiced kitadama by chanting "hi ho! hi ho! off to work we go!" What has not been known, which is to say of acknowledging made up facts, that these two schools have been waging a secret war since the beginning of time, which meant yesterday, or closer to the day before today when i read this post. The conflict started when phi the barbarian, wearer of religious short, which has been of late very holes, accidentially, so he claimed, dried a load of delicates internal gi of the Mucho no-shrinkage ryu's high priestess that also known as the wife, bearer of bad tiding during the games, holler of taking out the garbage. The high priestess voice had increased several octave to the level of shattering nerves that produced major wincing affects on the high priest of the other ryu which also happened to be phi, the wearer of holy short, which soon be the wearer of crapping in my short.

"What did you do to my expensive Victoria Secrets stuffs ?!!!" High priestess holler.
"Look at this! Look at this!" continued the priestess in stuck record fashion. At which point the high priest made the mistake of openning his yap,
"I am looking! What is it?"
"It's my favorite Victoria Secrets! It cost $100! You shrank it, you idiot!" high priestess still at extreme range of sonics boom.
At which point the high priest made another tactical error and replied,
"$100 for that?! and you yelled at me for the palm size hand twisted activating cordless screw driver for $50!" the high priest also wondered how did she knew his secret middle name "yuidiot".
While too busy with his own thoughts, he did not noticed the high priestess employed an ancient thermic technique which sucked the head from the room, and drop the temperature to the hell-freeze-over degree Celcius. The high priest, for whatever reason, is denser this time which cuased him to keep open his yap, and said thing along the dmz line,
"I thought most women want their Victoria Secrets small to the point of disappearing!" The high priest continued lamenting why called Victoria Secrets when most the stuffs exposed a great deal, the kind of which should be, in many cases, hidden and thrown away the key, lest visage counternance of such things caused men to go mad at first sight. At which point the high priest's thought was rudely interupted by a pitcher of ice water which the high priestess has deposited down the high priest's holy short. This water boarding action, aye violating certain Geneva convention, thus caused unholy terror to the high priest where he loudly used high level kotodama "AAAIIIIEEEEOOOOO...." and realized that his unholy staff of priestly office had shrunk to nothing. However, true to his priestly nature, he yelled out, "what about our schedule duel of unholy alliance tonight?!" to this the high priestess reponded, still at extreme sonic boom, "You can duel with Rosie the priestess of Palms!"
The high priest groaned loudly, "AGAIN?!!!"
I have no words. That is the greatest thing I have read in a very long time! I bow to you, sir!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
dreamborn
 
dreamborn's Avatar
Dojo: Aikikai Tanshinjuku/Lafayette, CO
Location: Westminster, CO
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
United_States
Offline
Re: Shrinkage

LOL Very good! That helped me get through the afternoon...........

風柳 剣人
www.aikitsj.com
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cotton Hakama Shrinkage Paul Crawley Supplies 7 06-09-2010 10:35 AM
Gi shrinkage Drew Mailman Supplies 10 07-22-2007 02:28 AM
judogi shrunk Chris Wells Supplies 10 05-24-2002 07:53 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate