Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #26
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: Sometimes you just gotta be honest

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Lorel,
All of these things you state above are related to martial ways.You can have these in abundance , but if imo these factors are all you have and you have no moral , spiritual or ethical dimensions to your life you are in my opinion less than you could be.Regardless how good anyone is at a particular discipline , some where some place there is someone who is faster , stronger and skilled than you.Even if you are indeed the best man around the fact is that you will decline in time.The grave awaits us all.
I have been taught by absolute beginners many truths about life.It is my contention that my own personal aikido development is a combination of tuition by my own teacher and others coupled with interactions by everyone I have ever met on the tatami and in a social environment.You can acquire wisdom for example by talking to a drunk guy in a bar.Refining and enhancing ones own character development I feel is more important than being the 'fastest gun in the west'.
Cheers, Joe
Alright then. I guess the people that gave their testimony are just mighty impressed by his skills, especially as they are related to aikido skills.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
DH
United_States

Quote:
Dear Lorel,
All of these things you state above are related to martial ways.You can have these in abundance , but if imo these factors are all you have and you have no moral , spiritual or ethical dimensions to your life you are in my opinion less than you could be. Refining and enhancing ones own character development I feel is more important than being the 'fastest gun in the west'.
Cheers, Joe
Did these things become mutually exclusive at some point? Or is just convenant to insinuate you cannot possess power, skill, character and heart together?
Dan
Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #28
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Did these things become mutually exclusive at some point? Or is just convenant to insinuate you cannot possess power, skill, character and heart together?
Dan
Dear Dan
I am not suggesting anything of the sort.Of course you can possess the attributes of skill, power, character and also have the attributes I mentioned.I am just saying that fighting skills acquisition as far as I am concerned is not the be all and end all.You in common with everyone will physically degenerate , but in other non physical ways you have the ability to improve .If I did not make my point clearly I apologise for this.I trust you are well? Cheers, Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #29
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

Mr Dan Harden,

Beauty is in the "Eye" of the beholder(maybe some need a little "aiki" in their eye)...Thank you Mr Harden for being you. For the many hours of posts here and elsewhere, and a possible direction for research and training. Be well.

Take Care,

ChrisW

PS Keep your hands and feet to yourself, unless your trying to be beautiful...!!! :0)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
DH
United_States

Quote:
Dear Dan
I am not suggesting anything of the sort.Of course you can possess the attributes of skill, power, character and also have the attributes I mentioned.I am just saying that fighting skills acquisition as far as I am concerned is not the be all and end all.You in common with everyone will physically degenerate , but in other non physical ways you have the ability to improve .If I did not make my point clearly I apologise for this.I trust you are well? Cheers, Joe
Yes. But even broaching the topic in a thread that is singular to an individual on an international forum, without qualifiers, is rather a faux pax and can be viewed as either a tad ignorant, or sly.

Example:
I really like Tom Thumb, he is the best cobbler I ever met.
Response:
Yes but you know, it doesn't matter how good he is at repairing shoes, some business men are just scurrilous and you don't know what their family history is.....

You never know what you may get against the stereotypical models. It has been my experience that you find grace and truly grand hearts in surprising people. A couple of the roughest, and frankly frightening people I have known, and in other cases some of the toughest and hard bitten people I have know, had been the most endearing, and as it turned out...enduring... long term supportive people I have known.

Interestingly, I have also known the sweet, PC correct, tender people, who turned out to be shallow and self serving, and frankly warm weather friends. And some of the most intellectual, while being entertaining-sometimes I wonder who they entertained more others or themselves- had hearts of stone, and were convenient friends.
Life is full of surprises and the true quality of people is not always gleaned from casual overviews and encounters. Some people are subtle, surprisingly complex, rich, fun, and you should never trust them. Some are all of the above and the best friends you could ever have...and so on and so on. You get the idea.
Dan
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #31
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Yes. But even broaching the topic in a thread that is singular to an individual on an international forum, without qualifiers, is rather a faux pax and can be viewed as either a tad ignorant, or sly.

Example:
I really like Tom Thumb, he is the best cobbler I ever met.
Response:
Yes but you know, it doesn't matter how good he is at repairing shoes, some business men are just scurrilous and you don't know what their family history is.....

You never know what you may get against the stereotypical models. It has been my experience that you find grace and truly grand hearts in surprising people. A couple of the roughest, and frankly frightening people I have known, and in other cases some of the toughest and hard bitten people I have know, had been the most endearing, and as it turned out...enduring... long term supportive people I have known.

Interestingly, I have also known the sweet, PC correct, tender people, who turned out to be shallow and self serving, and frankly warm weather friends. And some of the most intellectual, while being entertaining-sometimes I wonder who they entertained more others or themselves- had hearts of stone, and were convenient friends.
Life is full of surprises and the true quality of people is not always gleaned from casual overviews and encounters. Some people are subtle, surprisingly complex, rich, fun, and you should never trust them. Some are all of the above and the best friends you could ever have...and so on and so on. You get the idea.
Dan
Dear Dan, I entirely agree that you can find 'gold' in the most unlikely places. I also know that all that glitters is not 'gold'.Like you I have been fortunate to have met some rough diamonds who are life long friends as opposed to mere acquaintances.Cheers, Joe
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

Yes, Dan is the best martial artist i have ever met.

I have been doing the IP/aiki now almost 2 years and what i can see now a little bit is the incredible amount of effort, dedication and time Dan has invested to get where he is at the moment.

Shugyo
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #33
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Exactly. My motto lately was one I had put on a t-shirt years ago. I'm wearing it again. Damatte Keikoshiro. I've got a long way to go. I see progress and visiting with Dan reminded me again of how long the path is ahead. Arguing here is pointless. Training is where it's at. Or as a great old lady once yelled my way... "Words, words, words! Blah." Loved that. Later.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Quote:
Walter Oude Wesselink wrote: View Post
Yes, Dan is the best martial artist i have ever met.

I have been doing the IP/aiki now almost 2 years and what i can see now a little bit is the incredible amount of effort, dedication and time Dan has invested to get where he is at the moment.

Shugyo
Well,
A rose is a rose is a rose and Dan is Dan is….and what he serves, apparently the real thing.

I suppose, if Dan ever stopped his training he might be easier to keep up with, but as he obviously never stops, …….

What really counts is that you see some improvement in the achievement of the objectives he and you have set out for, at least a beginning of it. Two years isn't really that little time, if well spent.

So you see some progress, don't you? I guess, Dan would like to see this.

And you would make you the envy of me.
(Because, sometimes you just gotta be honest)

Last edited by Bernd Lehnen : 02-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #35
robert72
Dojo: seikokan

Quote:
Bernd Lehnen wrote: View Post
Well,
A rose is a rose is a rose and Dan is Dan isกฤ.and what he serves, apparently the real thing.

I suppose, if Dan ever stopped his training he might be easier to keep up with, but as he obviously never stops, กฤกฤ.

What really counts is that you see some improvement in the achievement of the objectives he and you have set out for, at least a beginning of it. Two years isn't really that little time, if well spent.

So you see some progress, don't you? I guess, Dan would like to see this.

And you would make you the envy of me.
(Because, sometimes you just gotta be honest)
Well.... I see!!

I am pushing against him for two years now and I can tell you.... He is getting more and more stable and can handle more and more force.

Drop by some day! Germany the Netherlands is not that far.

Regards
Robert van Heukelum