Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
Location: Fairfax, VA
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 415
United_States
Offline
Weight shift...

So when you punch, kick, throw, walk or pretty much do anything while standing up, do you feel a sideways weight shift?

Try simply walking forwards very slowly. When you pick your foot up off the ground, do you feel yourself start to shift/lean over to the other side? Try the same thing with both feet together, and pick one foot up and set it down shoulder width without falling onto it.

What happens if you don't get that shift? Whats the martial value in it?

I find training something like this a heck of a lot harder than waza practice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
Location: Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 207
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Several years ago at a seminar Vladimir and I were watching a couple of guys training. He asks me what I see about them. I look for awhile and I see a couple of new guys, motion okay for new, stiff but moving and training hard. I am frustrated as I know this is not what Vlad wants me to see but I am stumped. I finally give my weak answer and he shakes his head like I am.......a short bus kid. He provokes me to look/see several more times but this slow kid ain't getting it so he tells me to look at how they are when they are doing the drill and compare it to when they are done with the drill, getting up off the floor and repositioning for another go. I finally see what he means. It was like each person was two different people in how they moved. One person doing the drill and another immediately after the drill.

Vlad then says, "You cannot walk one way, every day of your life and then expect at your greatest moment of need that you will walk a different way." (or words to that affect).

Take care,

Mark J.

Take care,


Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
chillzATL
Location: ATL
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 846
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
So when you punch, kick, throw, walk or pretty much do anything while standing up, do you feel a sideways weight shift?

Try simply walking forwards very slowly. When you pick your foot up off the ground, do you feel yourself start to shift/lean over to the other side? Try the same thing with both feet together, and pick one foot up and set it down shoulder width without falling onto it.

What happens if you don't get that shift? Whats the martial value in it?

I find training something like this a heck of a lot harder than waza practice.
walking is basically controlled falling. The martial value in not moving via a controlled fall is that you center is never pitching in the direction you want to go, making it harder for someone to take advantage of your momentum. I would agree about the waza comment and also add that focusing on moving that way makes waza both easier and harder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,751
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post
Vlad then says, "You cannot walk one way, every day of your life and then expect at your greatest moment of need that you will walk a different way." (or words to that affect).

Take care,

Mark J.
ooooo i got to remember that one. hey can you ask Vlad to say that in Russian so i can impress folks when i repeat that in Russian. probably sound cooler too and could even get the lady named Wanda excited.

this related to the discussion in the external vs internal thread on efficiency.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Location: Columbia, MD
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 896
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
So when you punch, kick, throw, walk or pretty much do anything while standing up, do you feel a sideways weight shift?

Try simply walking forwards very slowly. When you pick your foot up off the ground, do you feel yourself start to shift/lean over to the other side? Try the same thing with both feet together, and pick one foot up and set it down shoulder width without falling onto it.

What happens if you don't get that shift? Whats the martial value in it?

I find training something like this a heck of a lot harder than waza practice.
"Okay, here I come with my sword! I sure hope you don't cut me just as I am flat-footed because that would suck! Okay we're right up on each other now! I am about to cut you, okay? I am about to cut your right shoulder! Please just stand there until I am finished!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Cady Goldfield
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 875
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Think "propel" instead of "walk." What dynamics do you know that will allow you to create opposing forces to create propulsion in your lower body without having to shift mass? And Phi had better not say "Kim chee."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,925
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Think "propel" instead of "walk." What dynamics do you know that will allow you to create opposing forces to create propulsion in your lower body without having to shift mass? And Phi had better not say "Kim chee."

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
James Sawers
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
James Sawers's Avatar
Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
Location: Chicago, IL
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 152
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Mark Jakabcsin wrote: View Post
he shakes his head like I am.......a short bus kid.

Mark J.
Actualy saying such an insult in a public forum does indeed show how far below a so-called "short bus kid" you are.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
Location: Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 207
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Actualy saying such an insult in a public forum does indeed show how far below a so-called "short bus kid" you are.
Sorry I offended you James, or anyone else. That was a lame attempt at humor. My bad.

Take care,


Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
Location: Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 207
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
walking is basically controlled falling. The martial value in not moving via a controlled fall is that you center is never pitching in the direction you want to go, making it harder for someone to take advantage of your momentum. I would agree about the waza comment and also add that focusing on moving that way makes waza both easier and harder.
Actually I think Vlad's comment was not so much about the mechanics of walking, although those are important as well, but more about who and what we are at all times.

Take care,


Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
Location: Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 207
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Sorry got distracted and did not complete my previous post. While Vlad was talking about more than just the mechanics of walking his point is valid that if we want to move or be a certain way at the moment of our greatest stress then we have to move like that all of the time.

Using this concept I see that every movement I make is a training opportunity. Hunter's drills a good and can be done throughout the day.

Take care,


Mark J.
www.charlotte-systema.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Rob Watson
Location: CA
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 698
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
walking is basically controlled falling. The martial value in not moving via a controlled fall is that you center is never pitching in the direction you want to go, making it harder for someone to take advantage of your momentum. I would agree about the waza comment and also add that focusing on moving that way makes waza both easier and harder.
Funny, I don't walk like that. I walk like those walking robots ... front leg pulls the back leg forward while driving the back leg heel as it leads the movement forward. As the once rear leg moves to the front and touches the ground the weight shits to that leg - repeat. No falling only what looks cumbersome is remarkably stable and very difficult to hold me back or prevent me from walking by pushing from the front. I can smoothly drag people (or dumb loads, too) along or plow them out of the way - or both. I do tend to have a sideways weight shift but I'm working on making that smaller ... baby steps.

Of course, I'm large and scarey looking so maybe they are just getting out of my way on their own accord.

Walking is very fruitful ground for investigations of all kinds.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Rob Watson
Location: CA
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 698
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

For example @~5 min mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_RiKz7AfHY
And here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7cGxipO_IA

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Rob Watson
Location: CA
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 698
United_States
Offline
Re: Weight shift...

Obligatory robot vid ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfaAiujrX_Y

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BJJ and Connection Josh Lerner Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 20 10-10-2011 10:37 PM
Weight Loss with Aikido Training Jenn Training 23 03-16-2011 02:03 AM
What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)?? Upyu Training 87 10-17-2008 10:13 AM
Survey on creating and using suki 空き mathewjgano General 26 07-11-2008 10:31 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate