Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #26
lbb
United_States
Re: Can't find yonkyo

Well, I'm convinced that I have a big fat yonkyo target painted on my back (or my forearms, whatever). Yonkyo works on me like whoa. And there may be a pressure point involved, but there's more than that, because I always get a nasty bruise.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Krystal Locke
United_States

So, we're chicks doing a martial art, we bruise from yonkyo, ikkyo, getting looked at funny, and we are sometimes kinda quiet and evasive about being badassed blackbelt ninjacutie budo babes.

Am I the only one who has had the talking to from my doc at the annual look under the hood? "You know, Krystal, if something isn't going well at home, you can tell me...."

Took me a couple years and inviting my doc to a belt test before she really believed I wasn't getting the crap beat out of me by some bubba at home.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Well, I'm convinced that I have a big fat yonkyo target painted on my back (or my forearms, whatever). Yonkyo works on me like whoa. And there may be a pressure point involved, but there's more than that, because I always get a nasty bruise.
have you thought of duct taping your wrists?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #29
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
...Am I the only one who has had the talking to from my doc at the annual look under the hood? "You know, Krystal, if something isn't going well at home, you can tell me...."

Took me a couple years and inviting my doc to a belt test before she really believed I wasn't getting the crap beat out of me by some bubba at home.
Hahahaha I made the mistake of wearing short sleeves to work one day after a good nite of aikido. I sat back in my chair and put my hands behind my head to relax and my coworker looked at the bruises and said , 'dude, if you were 12, I'd be callin the DCFS right now...'

practice hard
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #30
Janet Rosen

When I first started training in aikido I was also, among other things, doing some staff training of the nurses' aides working at home hospice. Had to do their annual class on recognizing and reporting senior abuse. Came in with PERFECT constellation of forearm bruises that day :-)
Actually I rarely bruise from anything in the dojo anymore and when I do the arnica gel works wonders.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
have you thought of duct taping your wrists?
Haha, funny guy...

Duct tape is a good emergency preventive for blisters. For bruises, not so much.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #32
Derek

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan (AWA)
United_States

I've always found that people misunderstand the pressure necessary for this technique and are prone to crushing the arm. This bunches up the muscle and gets it in your way. For beginners I have them start by clasping their own forearms, palm to palm. Slide the hands down until the heels of the hands touch, now you are in the right spot. With a partner, have beginners start at sankyo then then relax the wrist so that the palm faces them. Grip the lower part of the arm, just above the wrist with the pinkie and ring fingers, then pivot off that point and apply pressure with the ridge hand/first knuckle of the index finger. A great excercise for this is to have people practice on their steering wheel. Grip with the pinkie and press with the ridge hand. To demonstrate the lack of crushing, I also will apply this technique by making a ring of left and right index fingers and thumbs with the uke's wrist in the middle, and applying yonkyo by rotating the ring without any grasping. It is true that the pain compliance portion of this technique does not work on everyone, but boy does it work on those it works on! I also really enjoy this techniqe applied to the inside of the shin/ankle.

Derek Duval
Godan