Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
olorin90
Location: Genova
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Italy
Offline
Kanji translation

Hi everyone

I wanted to know the exact kanji ideogram for the english word "Luck" .. thanks!

Olorin90
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Rob Watson
Location: CA
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 698
United_States
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: View Post
Hi everyone

I wanted to know the exact kanji ideogram for the english word "Luck" .. thanks!

Olorin90
http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|luck

"Exact" translations are a stretch. It's a start anyway.

Last edited by Rob Watson : 06-27-2012 at 02:21 PM.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
robin_jet_alt
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 482
Australia
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

I believe what you are looking for is 運. You could also use the combination, 幸運, which means "good luck", or "blessing".
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
olorin90
Location: Genova
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Italy
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
I believe what you are looking for is 運. You could also use the combination, 幸運, which means "good luck", or "blessing".
Where have you taken the first kanji from? thanks for the answer anyway!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Rob Watson
Location: CA
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 698
United_States
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: View Post
Where have you taken the first kanji from? thanks for the answer anyway!!
That's the first one that pops up from google translate ... ask questions - get answers - ignore answers and ask more questions ... awesome paradigm.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
robin_jet_alt
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 482
Australia
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: View Post
Where have you taken the first kanji from? thanks for the answer anyway!!
In my case it came out of my head because I happen to speak Japanese...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
danielajames
 
danielajames's Avatar
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Location: Brisbane
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 291
Australia
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
That's the first one that pops up from google translate ... ask questions - get answers - ignore answers and ask more questions ... awesome paradigm.
what do you mean?


Daniel James, Brisbane Aikido Republic: AikiPhysics, Aikido Brisbane news,
ph 0413 001 844, 1593 Logan Rd, Mt.Gravatt, Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
chubbycubbysmash
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai (Bay Shore)
Location: New York
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
United_States
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

運 --You can use this one for luck that is neither good nor bad, as in someone's fortune, or the luck of the draw. Alternatively 運氣 is the full phrase for a person's luck.

幸運 -- as said above, this would be good luck.

福 -- For fortune, also like good luck. Often used for money terms.

吉-- Lucky, good luck.

I'm not brave or smart or particularly generous, but I'll take my values and live by them--and that is my standard measurement of strength.

Visit Us!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
olorin90
Location: Genova
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Italy
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Josephine Fan wrote: View Post
運 --You can use this one for luck that is neither good nor bad, as in someone's fortune, or the luck of the draw. Alternatively 運氣 is the full phrase for a person's luck.

幸運 -- as said above, this would be good luck.

福 -- For fortune, also like good luck. Often used for money terms.

吉-- Lucky, good luck.
thank you very much!!! so to say "I've had luck and I wish to continue to have it" what should I use for a tattoo?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
chubbycubbysmash
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai (Bay Shore)
Location: New York
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
United_States
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

I would not know what it would be in Japanese, and I would only be able to use layman's terms in Chinese, which doesn't sound elegant or scholarly.

There's gotta be an idiom for it around here somewhere, but I don't know what it would be.

I'm not brave or smart or particularly generous, but I'll take my values and live by them--and that is my standard measurement of strength.

Visit Us!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
robin_jet_alt
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 482
Australia
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Alessandro Ciccolo wrote: View Post
thank you very much!!! so to say "I've had luck and I wish to continue to have it" what should I use for a tattoo?
Why would you want a tattoo of a word in a language that you don't understand, written by someone else who doesn't understand it, on the basis of a stranger's recommendation on the internet? That just doesn't make sense to me.... So, I don't know what you should use...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,702
United_States
Online
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Why would you want a tattoo of a word in a language that you don't understand, written by someone else who doesn't understand it, on the basis of a stranger's recommendation on the internet? That just doesn't make sense to me.... So, I don't know what you should use...
i was wondering about that meself. i meant as you aged, things get sagged and could change the characters. from a slant stroke to a vertical stroke, and the meaning could change from "good luck" to "stupid gaijin".

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
olorin90
Location: Genova
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
Italy
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Why would you want a tattoo of a word in a language that you don't understand, written by someone else who doesn't understand it, on the basis of a stranger's recommendation on the internet? That just doesn't make sense to me.... So, I don't know what you should use...
I'm just asking, i'm not going to get tattoed the kanji the user told me tomorrow ..! i'm just collecting information on this kanji..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
robin_jet_alt
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 482
Australia
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Well, if you want something that says "continuing good luck", you could try something like 幸運続々... keep in mind that I am not a native speaker, and I wouldn't trust anything someone told me on the internet enough to tattoo it on myself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Rob Watson
Location: CA
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 698
United_States
Offline
Re: Kanji translation

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
I wouldn't trust anything someone told me on the internet enough to tattoo it on myself.
Tat this, tho!

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 02:41 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 14 Peter Goldsbury Columns 38 07-31-2009 11:19 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 12 Peter Goldsbury Columns 32 05-16-2009 06:05 PM
kanji translation? Bronson Language 4 11-10-2005 10:27 AM
English to kanji translation werm Language 7 10-03-2005 06:04 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate