Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #326
DH
United_States
Re: My Spiritual Aikido.

Quote:
Rich Hobbs wrote: View Post
I'm fairly sure this is a pretty important point.

If your belief was still way up above your ability you see yourself with less room for improvement; possibly justify slacking off and reducing your input because you already "know it all".

Keeping yourself of the opinion that you are "pretty good" but around 25% off of "the ceiling" or so means you can still see plenty space for growth and push for it.

The more you can do, the further you know you still can go, or something along those lines.

Just musing a related idea.
Yes. Having an awareness of something larger than you...keeps you hungry and self aware of your vulnerability. Which usually breathes....... effort.
Dan

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #327
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

Truth told, I am not sure just how kind Dan's offer is.......
Secondly, your statement is surely true about Budo being what you can do without excuses.

I challenge everyone of us to take a step back and take a break from matching martial pedigrees and training methods and take a look at what we have accomplished with it. There is a lion within each one of us and it is itching to do something truly meaningful and creative.

I challenge you to find your greatest heartbreak and put your passion, your budo and your time into being the change you want to see in this world. And let those who do not try to be that lion, go sit in the nosebleed seats.

Be well,

Chris
Chris:

I hope that if you are ever in the metropolitan NYC area, that you can stop by my school. I would genuinely like to meet you.

As to meetings, Dan's offer is really sincere and KIND. There is Dan's on-line persona and then there is Dan in Person. Dan has a remarkable degree of humility, honesty and kindness that allow people to be able to recognize how little we really do know and how much there is to learn. He is overwhelming in his generosity to share what he had discovered and is discovering.

We are not here trying to match pedigrees (or at least not me, Dan, or the host of other wonderful people I have met at his seminars). We are so dedicated to the pursuit of discovering the depths of true budo as a vehicle for making this planet better, that we leave our egos aside and actively search for what we are missing. We spend countless hours seeking a higher truth that is manifest in what we do every day. We do not shirk away from exploring what we know and what we do not know, nor do we assume some holier-than-thou attitude about some greater understanding of things.

In my opinion: The Golden Equilibrium is a sad state of affairs. This person spent too few years training with somebody who himself, did not have any substantial, direct links to the founder of our art or any of his direct students. This person's videos are sad sights. This person's pontifications are well-intended, yet idiosyncratic in ridiculous ways. His constant need to have his words focused on is matched by the lack of integrity of stepping up to any legitimate question and challenge in word or act. His passion is undeniable and his potential is obvious. He simply remains his own worst enemy. His words should not go unchallenged. We are working hard enough as it is to raise the overall level of discourse and instruction in Aikido, to let this stuff float out there so that novices could potentially get seriously misdirected by trying to follow this obvious nonsense.

Regards,

Marc Abrams

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #328
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Quote:
There have been quite a few people who have been vociferous in their denouncing of Dan before meeting him and he has been called any number of things; if you do some historical research on people's opinions of him online pre/post real world meeting you can see some evidence of this.

People go from being derogatory/dismissive or fairly offensive and insulting to a quite considerable change in their opinions and I've not come across anyone, on any of the forums I've browsed (though I've not read all by any means, by all means let me know if you know differently), where someone has met up with him and declared him to be anything less than a genuine person with some interesting "stuff" to offer.

I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about it if he were anything other than pleasant in these meet ups.
I wouldn't know about this. All I have is how he has responded to me and a chance to read the lines on his face from photos. As to the former, I have stated that most verbal issues are often resolved on the mats with a laugh and a beer.

It does irk me, however, when I watch a gang of folks take so much time trying to corner someone when a point has already been made. I am sure somewhere in a treatise on Budo (perhaps Daidoji Yuzan) there is a statement that continuing such an assault is just not cricket.

Graham's response is between him and Dan. When others jump into the fray, it looks like an elementary school bully session or a pack of Buzzards chewing upon carion. And I do wonder what good can come of it.

Regards,

Chris

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #329
Chris Knight
England

I must appear to be dumb as well as be dumb as I'm struggling to follow the graph!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #330
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
I must appear to be dumb as well as be dumb as I'm struggling to follow the graph!
Don't worry mate, you're off the chart.

(just don't ask in which direction... )

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #331
DH
United_States

Quote:
I wouldn't know about this. All I have is how he has responded to me and a chance to read the lines on his face from photos. As to the former, I have stated that most verbal issues are often resolved on the mats with a laugh and a beer.
Chris
Where was I not a gentleman? I don't think my private responses to you belong in any discussion here.

Quote:
Graham's response is between him and Dan. When others jump into the fray, it looks like an elementary school bully session or a pack of Buzzards chewing upon carion. And I do wonder what good can come of it.
Regards,
Chris
Well, Chris...you jumped into that fray....twice!!! And moreover, to call my sincerity into doubt without cause.

Graham is a straight forward person-even his detractors acknowledge that. And many call me deadly honest. We most certainly can take care of our agreements and disagreements. Leave me out of the buzzards circling carion commentary, when you yourself take part, and when I have been the one who offered to explain and demonstrate our differences to Graham free of charge and in private. It is unsupportable where I am concerned!

This is off topic, lets drop it okay?

Dan

Last edited by DH : 06-28-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #332
Chris Knight
England

well obviously rich i underestimate how good I am, so at the top quartile?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #333
DH
United_States

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
well obviously rich i underestimate how good I am, so at the top quartile?
Ah...but then you would have to actually BE...good to qualify.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #334
Chris Knight
England

Quote:
And many call me deadly
you got that portion right

Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #335
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Chris
Where was I not a gentleman? I don't think my private responses to you belong in any discussion here.

Well, Chris...you jumped into that fray....twice!!! And moreover, to call my sincerity into doubt without cause.

Graham is a straight forward person-even his detractors acknowledge that. And many call me deadly honest. We most certainly can take care of our agreements and disagreements. Leave me out of the buzzards circling carion commentary, when you yourself take part, and when I have been the one who offered to explain and demonstrate our differences to Graham free of charge and in private. It is unsupportable where I am concerned!

This is off topic, lets drop it okay?

Dan
Dan,

I did not call you a buzzard. It is the circle that concerns me. Your stuff with Graham is between you two. Ours is ours. That is all I said.

I entered intentionally into a discussion about Spiritual Aikido in a specific attempt to find something in common with Graham, another human being with faults and beauty, just like the rest of us. I found that comonality and was pleased with it.

And, indeed, I am happy to drop it. I do suspect you and I would find much in common if we ever met.

regards,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #336
mrlizard123
United Kingdom

Quote:
I'd respectfully suggest that perhaps your intuition and face reading isn't, in this case, reliable; with myself you'd conclude that I'm always eating or am particularly stupid from my photos which would be... oh... well, not everyone is as clear to read

Quote:
It does irk me, however, when I watch a gang of folks take so much time trying to corner someone when a point has already been made. I am sure somewhere in a treatise on Budo (perhaps Daidoji Yuzan) there is a statement that continuing such an assault is just not cricket.
I don't see it as trying to corner someone; if someone continually asserts a point other are also free to assert their contrasting or supporting points. That there may be more making one point than another is something you can make many different judgements on the meaning of based on your knowledge of the subject matter and/or the individuals. The less information you have, the harder it is to rely upon that intuitive judgement.

Quote:
I'm not sure Graham is carrion; the image of declaring all people commenting on the subject not on Graham's "side", if sides there are, as buzzards is one carrying unfair imagery.

Graham frequently points out things such as "no one understands" or words to that effect; for someone to make their own observations that are less sweeping and more directed is as valid and my preference is for specifics rather than broad brush strokes.

There are many "good" things that could come of this, at worst I see a lot more talking that doesn't get us anywhere. But it passes the time until training at least

Last edited by mrlizard123 : 06-28-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #337
Chris Knight
England

Quote:
with myself you'd conclude that I'm always eating
you aren't?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #338
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Chris:

I hope that if you are ever in the metropolitan NYC area, that you can stop by my school. I would genuinely like to meet you.

As to meetings, Dan's offer is really sincere and KIND. There is Dan's on-line persona and then there is Dan in Person. Dan has a remarkable degree of humility, honesty and kindness that allow people to be able to recognize how little we really do know and how much there is to learn. He is overwhelming in his generosity to share what he had discovered and is discovering.

We are not here trying to match pedigrees (or at least not me, Dan, or the host of other wonderful people I have met at his seminars). We are so dedicated to the pursuit of discovering the depths of true budo as a vehicle for making this planet better, that we leave our egos aside and actively search for what we are missing. We spend countless hours seeking a higher truth that is manifest in what we do every day. We do not shirk away from exploring what we know and what we do not know, nor do we assume some holier-than-thou attitude about some greater understanding of things.

In my opinion: The Golden Equilibrium is a sad state of affairs. This person spent too few years training with somebody who himself, did not have any substantial, direct links to the founder of our art or any of his direct students. This person's videos are sad sights. This person's pontifications are well-intended, yet idiosyncratic in ridiculous ways. His constant need to have his words focused on is matched by the lack of integrity of stepping up to any legitimate question and challenge in word or act. His passion is undeniable and his potential is obvious. He simply remains his own worst enemy. His words should not go unchallenged. We are working hard enough as it is to raise the overall level of discourse and instruction in Aikido, to let this stuff float out there so that novices could potentially get seriously misdirected by trying to follow this obvious nonsense.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
You too Mark,

It is rare that I am in New York. Bit let's see what unfolds.

Be well,

Chris

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #339
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Chris
If we are to find common ground we need to understand each other starting with what is the easiest to get to....".....how do you train your body to work as part of the whole?.....what kind of practices do you do to effect the body's functioning to do these things? How do you condition your body? Spirit and mind can be strong...weak body means nothing good happens. And you know that John has drills to help with this, that is what Dan is talking about at this stage is the body work, and that others are out there offering their approaches.

Graham likely has drills, solo training and partner training....other than just waza... to effect the conditioning... that is what I am asking.

Gary
I know that is your goal Gary, But the process does raise a few questions:

1. How many times would you go fishing when you are not catching any fish?

2. Does the act actually draw out, like mary metioned, the less-than honorable remarks from the larger circle as they begin to prey upon the weaknesses that are exposed.

3. I also wonder how the rest of the public interprets this stuff. After all, here are various Aikido leadership folks writing on a forum that is in public view.

4. Finally, I am listening to the dogs that didn't bark. Many Aikido leaders who are reading participants of this forum have chosen not to add flame to this pyre. Why?

Be Well,

Chris

Just some thoughts,

Chris

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #340
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
I'd respectfully suggest that perhaps your intuition and face reading isn't, in this case, reliable; with myself you'd conclude that I'm always eating or am particularly stupid from my photos which would be... oh... well, not everyone is as clear to read

I don't see it as trying to corner someone; if someone continually asserts a point other are also free to assert their contrasting or supporting points. That there may be more making one point than another is something you can make many different judgements on the meaning of based on your knowledge of the subject matter and/or the individuals. The less information you have, the harder it is to rely upon that intuitive judgement.

I'm not sure Graham is carrion; the image of declaring all people commenting on the subject not on Graham's "side", if sides there are, as buzzards is one carrying unfair imagery.

Graham frequently points out things such as "no one understands" or words to that effect; for someone to make their own observations that are less sweeping and more directed is as valid and my preference is for specifics rather than broad brush strokes.

There are many "good" things that could come of this, at worst I see a lot more talking that doesn't get us anywhere. But it passes the time until training at least
Hi Rick,

I actually wrote no conclusions or interpretations regarding my "reading" of Dan's face lines. You may be projecting. Nonetheless, I and Dan agreed to "let it go". I hope all can honor that agreement.

As to the imagery, I called it as I saw it. I do not know hardly any of you folks and I have several times taken long hiatus from this site.. I wonder how newcomers or outsiders interpret these behaviors?

I agree that Graham's brush strokes are often vague and his style elusive.

Be well,

Chris

Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #341
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Here now, with Chris... My offer to Graham, despite all evidence to the contrary to show him what I am doing one-on-one with no one in the room and for free...my integrity, honesty, and fair handedness is questioned for no good reason....by yet another self proclaimed spiritual person!
Dan
Dan, I thought we were going to let this go?????

I am not questioning your integrity nor you honesty. I call into question your approach.
Graham does not know you. All he probably has is the words and style in which you write.
He also has a statement from the group that they are attempting to "police" (my words) Aikido teachers who do not as of yet have the internal training that is becoming standard through your teachings.

Where I live, the police want us to create block watches. But they are no longer peace officers, they are law enforcement officers. And if we call them regarding an incident, they will come to our house, (1) exposing us to the eyes of the gangs and (2) once inside the house, they reserve the right to find something we might get arrested for.

That approach, whether it be from you or a local uniformed policeman, can be very intimidating and does not necessarily build trust. Thus, as a phenomenologist, I have said, "I am not sure how kind Dan's offer is." I say that as if I were looking through Graham's eyes.

'Nuff said.

Chris

Last edited by akiy : 06-29-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #342
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
I know that is your goal Gary, But the process does raise a few questions:

1. How many times would you go fishing when you are not catching any fish?
There are any number of folks watching from the bank that are being told by the individual sitting the bait shop on the bank that this pond has all of the fish and really the only "real" fish. I am no fisherman, but I can tell when a pond has no fish. Sometimes you just have to keep pointing this out.

Quote:
2. Does the act actually draw out, like mary metioned, the less-than honorable remarks from the larger circle as they begin to prey upon the weaknesses that are exposed.
What are honorable remarks, what are less than honorable......most that are call "less than honorable remarks are the very fact that anyone would even question the validity of things that are said by an individual. If you get up on that soap box...you sure are open for it. Once you have declared your self the true representative of the true path...you are open for it....actually the comments have been quite mild all things considered........

Quote:
3. I also wonder how the rest of the public interprets this stuff. After all, here are various Aikido leadership folks writing on a forum that is in public view.
I don't know how many of the upper tier of what you are calling Aikido leadership folks actually post here. None of the major organizational leaders do..... now they may drop in to read....or they may have their representatives post...don't know....

Quote:
4. Finally, I am listening to the dogs that didn't bark. Many Aikido leaders who are reading participants of this forum have chosen not to add flame to this pyre. Why?
Why...you know why...so why do you bring it up I am still trying to figure out why I bother to post here myself.....I'll give you my approach to this....years ago at a gym I was ask by a women friend why I wasn't across the room hanging around a beautiful woman doing some lifting like about 10 or so other guys.....my reply was ...old dog young dog..... young dog runs along the fence and barks at everything that is close.....old dog waits until something falls into their yard......

Quote:
Be Well,

Chris

Just some thoughts,

Chris
as always

Gary

Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #343
Janet Rosen

Quote:
young dog runs along the fence and barks at everything that is close.....old dog waits until something falls into their yard......

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #344
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
There are any number of folks watching from the bank that are being told by the individual sitting the bait shop on the bank that this pond has all of the fish and really the only "real" fish. I am no fisherman, but I can tell when a pond has no fish. Sometimes you just have to keep pointing this out.

What are honorable remarks, what are less than honorable......most that are call "less than honorable remarks are the very fact that anyone would even question the validity of things that are said by an individual. If you get up on that soap box...you sure are open for it. Once you have declared your self the true representative of the true path...you are open for it....actually the comments have been quite mild all things considered........

I don't know how many of the upper tier of what you are calling Aikido leadership folks actually post here. None of the major organizational leaders do..... now they may drop in to read....or they may have their representatives post...don't know....

Why...you know why...so why do you bring it up I am still trying to figure out why I bother to post here myself.....I'll give you my approach to this....years ago at a gym I was ask by a women friend why I wasn't across the room hanging around a beautiful woman doing some lifting like about 10 or so other guys.....my reply was ...old dog young dog..... young dog runs along the fence and barks at everything that is close.....old dog waits until something falls into their yard......

as always

Gary
Thanks Gary

I am not sure why I am posting either. My agenda was completed - twice.

It was simple, my message is that we all need to begin working on irenics and bigger issues. It is 1938 and a bad wind is about to blow. A Trifecta, if you will. nature will be declaring WWIII. The old paradigm of civilization is crumbling and that will lead to natural chaos. Finally, the "have's" will be protecting themselves against the "have nots" on a global scale. The have-nots, unless you are very rich, is you and me.

Integrity will be the real currency over the next 5-10 years. That does not mean I have impeccable integrity. It means we all will learn the hard way when we have choices to make regarding our families, neighbors, and our associates in the dojo. Who will we be able to rely on and who will share with us as we share with them?

Integrity will be the real currency when food is sparse, when lawlessness is rampant and when most are running amok seeking only to save themselves.

When folks in my neighborhood need something (most have no job or education), they often steal it or rob to get it. Some say morality is a middle class privelege. Soon we shall see.

With that, I bow out of this conference.

I thank everyone for what I have learned through this experience and am grateful for those who have befriended me off line. Should anyone wish to contact me, I can be reached at pylonjigme@gmail.com.

Be Well,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-28-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #345
mrlizard123
United Kingdom

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Truth told, I am not sure just how kind Dan's offer is.......
I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about it if he were anything other than pleasant in these meet ups
I'd respectfully suggest that perhaps your intuition and face reading isn't, in this case, reliable
Hi Rick,

I actually wrote no conclusions or interpretations regarding my "reading" of Dan's face lines. You may be projecting.
I've included the thread that led me to this conclusion, the conclusion may be wrong but I'm not sure how you'd reach projection as a conclusion to my following this thread to what seems like a natural impression. I'm not clear what it is you imagine I'm projecting.

Apologies if I mis-interpreted your intention, I'm sure you can see how it could come across as I saw?

Quote:
As to the imagery, I called it as I saw it.
I think using terms like carrion, buzzards, pyres and flame hold imagery that doesn't further making our points but appeals to emotions.

I could easily ask why no "dogs" are adding water either.

All the best
Rich

Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #346
thisisnotreal

Quote:
I am still trying to figure out why I bother to post here myself....
Gary
i don't know either, but i do appreciate it. after a while reading what some of these people write i start to feel like i took a good strong crazy pill. Then I read the writings of yourself and a number of select others here and feel vindicated, validated, and not so alone. fwiw.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #347
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Graham
Peer review is generally a process of having your concepts, such as a concept of design, ideas for a new process, any thing really....say the building of a bridge using new materials or what could be seen as unusual untested methods, designs or new combinations of all of these, looked at critically by any number of others. Peer review involves many folks of varied disciplines within an organization as anyone of these folks may "see" something that has been missed by the originator, or the close design group around that individual. Any number of experiences that an individual may had, training they have undergone...may lead to questions that raise issues that need to be addressed. These folks can be just months on the job and many years. Peer review is not turning to your brother, one of your students or very close friends and asking how am I doing.

Your approach to spiritual..... to Spiritual Aikido...... seems to be your unique combination of any number of pieces and as such could be subject to outside peer review to get an honest assessment of the effectiveness of what you do.

Gary
O'K Gary. Thanks for that explanation. So let's take a look at it. Let's see what it is. Let's see how real it is.

Having my concepts, ways of doing, ideas, style, looked at critically by a number of others.

So I decided as I like writing certain things to practice poetry. I practiced until I felt I had discovered my own personal styles. I also thought I could write philosophical poetry which could be done specifically for an individual and would thus help that individual.

So I knew my purpose there and for general was just for others to enjoy.

When ready I proceeded to do it, at first for birthday messages etc. Soon many were asking me to write something for them. The local sainsburys insist I write their christmas poems each year. Others say how they have framed them and put them on their walls for inspiration.

So a little example of taking my style and unique way of poetry and using it and it being wanted and useful.

Did I ask for peers criticism? No.

Do I care what other critical experts in poetry think? Not one iota.

So do I care? No.

Now let's see. I had a few friends who I played football with. The club we were members of had the official 5 a side football team entering a competition. Those of the football world were all happy and then I said I want to play with my mates. Anyway, despite all the 'It's not that simple, and you need proper training and blah, blah, blah, by the so called peers a lady secretary of the club took pity and entered us also.

We met what was now the 'A' team in the semi finals and beat them and went on to win the final. That was the herts and beds (local counties) competition. As winners we get entered into the southern England champions competition. Win win that too. We go through to the Great Britain championships. We come runners up. A nice fun journey and experience.

Did we care what the peers said? No.

As a teenager their is extreme peer pressure to drink, to take drugs etc. Did I care about that? No.

In life I learn things "let's say nutrition for example". Ki atsu as another example.

Then I watch and listen to the medical people and ask stupid questions like "Well can't you actually cure that?" and get laughed at. Poor deluded fool. So I just go ahead and cure it. Do I care about peers? No. They can go and peer and waffle ad infinitum as far as I am concerned.

So I hope this puts some perspective on the matter.

So it is not a necessity or even needed, in fact for many it's nonsense. So where is it 'important?'

In organizations where someone wants it all as they say so, yes that's one place. Also in groups where the group 'mind' says it must be this way and our way is superior. Yes, it's standard there as well.

So insular, so controlling, such a load of nonsense.

Those in the Aikikai with it's structure and ways can thus be peers of fellow Aikikai peeps. To think they have the right to criticise, as peers, Tomiki people is to me arrogant. Etc.

Thus I say the use of the idea of peers being all important for progress or acceptance is a load of bull.

So let's get real shall we. Others, maybe doing a similar thing or maybe not, may get interested and want to share or feel or whatever. That's all good but it's nothing to do with "you must" The favorite words spoken by insecure control freaks.

I doubt if Musashi gave a monkeys what other peers thought. I doubt Boddhidharma did either. Or any other self determined individual.

No, it's all about self and facing the next challenge on your own path.

Peers needed for honest assessment? Don't make me laugh. That would take a very aware, honest, compassionate peer.

As with football, sports, life etc. those who are good at and can actually spot talent are very rare yet everyone thinks they are experts at it. Who picked Nixon?

When it comes to football England are very good at this peer thing and end up with a load of rubbish.

Peace.G.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #348
DH
United_States

When someone comes to a public forum and discusses things in an authoratative fashion and tells people they don't get it-they need to be responsible for the pushback.
I did it.
I got significant pushback. I took the responsible coarse of action and allowed naysayers to come as I knew the onus was on me to validate my ideas -then perceived as outlandish.

It is what it is. This is martial community. That standard -to be tested-is well documented and accepted. To refuse to do so, makes its own statement to the community. Like it or not, agree or not, accept it or no...if someone is actively dialoguing with a community, there are consequences both good and bad.
I accepted the responsibility of what I was saying.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 06-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #349
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
When someone comes to a public forum and discusses things in an authoratative fashion and tells people they don't get it-they need to be responsible for the pushback.
I did it.
I got significant pushback. I took the responsible coarse of action and allowed naysayers to come as I knew the onus was on me to validate my ideas -then perceived as outlandish.

It is what it is. This is martial community. That standard -to be tested-is well documented and accepted. To refuse to do so, makes its own statement to the community. Like it or not, agree or not, accept it or no...if someone is actively dialoguing with a community, there are consequences both good and bad.
I accepted the responsibility of what I was saying.
Dan
So it's all about you? That way is the only way? That's a standard? Don't think so.

Is it even true what you say as I don't think you allowed naysayes to come as you paint the picture above. In your own words you have refused many for many different reasons. As has every person in charge of anything on this forum.

I don't mind swimming against the tide so you can all be a tidal wave, it doesn't matter to me. I think your painted images are very unreal. It sounds like the wild west sometimes to me.

Peace.G.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #350
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
O'K Gary. Thanks for that explanation. So let's take a look at it. Let's see what it is. Let's see how real it is.

Having my concepts, ways of doing, ideas, style, looked at critically by a number of others.

Did I ask for peers criticism? No.

So do I care? No.

Did we care what the peers said? No.

As a teenager their is extreme peer pressure to drink, to take drugs etc. Did I care about that? No.

In life I learn things "let's say nutrition for example". Ki atsu as another example.

Do I care about peers? No. They can go and peer and waffle ad infinitum as far as I am concerned.

So I hope this puts some perspective on the matter.

So it is not a necessity or even needed, in fact for many it's nonsense. So where is it 'important?'

In organizations where someone wants it all as they say so, yes that's one place. Also in groups where the group 'mind' says it must be this way and our way is superior. Yes, it's standard there as well.

So insular, so controlling, such a load of nonsense.

Thus I say the use of the idea of peers being all important for progress or acceptance is a load of bull.

So let's get real shall we. That's all good but it's nothing to do with "you must" The favorite words spoken by insecure control freaks.

I doubt if Musashi gave a monkeys what other peers thought. I doubt Boddhidharma did either. Or any other self determined individual.

No, it's all about self and facing the next challenge on your own path.

Peers needed for honest assessment? Don't make me laugh. That would take a very aware, honest, compassionate peer.

Peace.G.
Graham
OK I think have .....have something here................

You mistake peer pressure...pressure to conform...with peer review which is an effort in an honest evaluation of something that is being presented.

If I step up and say this is the way, I can do it all, I have a clear understanding of what the real meaning was, the real intent is........... I would expect someone to raise a hand in question.... If I say that I can handle every situation, every individual, every occurrence....I would expect some one to raise a hand in question........ If I were to say my way is the way, that the rest of you have no clue, you don't get it, you don't/can't understand it..... I would expect someone to raise their hand in question.... When folks raised their hands you took it as pressure to conform.....and walled up......

As for me I am no ones lap dog

I have a small picture posted on my wall that sez "He won't site, He won't beg, He won't heel.... BAD DOG Built to bark......"

I also have the phrases up like:
  • Be Skeptical, but learn to listen
  • Live each day with courage
  • Be tough, but fair
  • Know where to draw the line
  • Remember that some things aren't for sale
  • Take pride in your work
  • Do what has to be done
  • Always finish what you start
  • Give allegiance and respect where they are deserved and returned
  • The world is what you think it is
  • There are no limits
  • Energy flows were attention goes
  • We are each responsible for our experiences
  • The point of power is always in the present moment
  • Bless the present, Trust yourself, Expect the best………

Having said all of this....I expect folks to offer their comments and opinions, whether asked for or not, I also expect that I will look at all of these, may ask others for their take on things and adjust as needed. It is also very likely that I would get out and see by personal contact were the reality rest.....but that is just me......

Bye the way, congrats on the fun time you had with the soccer.......

Gary

Closed Thread