Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2000, 11:43 PM   #26
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
hey wow no offence I really want to know a healthy way to get more weight. why... I weigh about 120. I used to weigh 130 but then I went to a week of fasting (really it was a long story) and um lots ten pounds by not eating enough and walking alot and having a lot of water. anyhow I am teased all the time about that I weigh so little. ( I am 15 years and about 5feet 6 inches) I am not that strong I need more stregnth.

anyhow... to help with rolls my teachers said get on knees and put one hand on mat then try to go through arm... I know i am not clear but sorry...

I am serouse about gaining weigh though.
Old 07-24-2000, 02:23 AM   #27
Frankk
Dojo: Atlantic Martial Arts, Tomiki and JAA dojo
Smile

HEY! This is my type of thread! And for Jun, who says little guys are made for ukemi? My svelte 6'4' 300 pound body falls as well as anybodys and it is even MORE impressive looking when someone throws me, they look like they have thrown a giant! As for learning ukemi. the best advice for a big guy on backfalls is to sit all the way down when you are taking the fall. Always try to sit and touch your butt to the mat. This rounds out your back and turns you into a giant weeble. I learned that trick in judo. For breakfalls, try to practice after class time with someone large or strong enough to support you somewhat. This helps with those trust issues. At first, it is hard to let a 5'8" 140 pound person throw you knowing there is no way they can rescue you. (you learn eventually learn that actually no one can rescue you anyway, you have to let go)Good luck and learn to trust your body.
Frankk
Old 07-24-2000, 08:12 AM   #28
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Bulking Up

Quote:
Chocolateuke wrote:
hey wow no offence I really want to know a healthy way to get more weight. why... I weigh about 120. I used to weigh 130 but then I went to a week of fasting (really it was a long story) and um lots ten pounds by not eating enough and walking alot and having a lot of water. anyhow I am teased all the time about that I weigh so little. ( I am 15 years and about 5feet 6 inches) I am not that strong I need more stregnth.
The only healthy way I know to gain weight is to add muscle mass. Weight training is the way that most athletes do that. For someone without large structure such as yourself, there are probably added benefits in terms of injury prevention to undertaking some sort of strength conditioning program. Whatever you do it should be done with an emphasis on flexibility and endurance, not just bulking up for its own sake. That said, at fifteen you may not even be able to bulk up yet. Age-wise you are just on the border of when your body starts the changes that will allow you start adding that kind of muscle.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 07-24-2000, 12:54 PM   #29
Mike Collins
United_States
Don't bulk up. That comes in it's own time. Enjoy every stage of your size and health.

Skinny people wanna be big. Big guys wanna be little guys. Trim and athletic guys, don't even know what they want (poor little fella's, they're not too bright) -That is a joke, you trim and athletic guys.
Old 07-26-2000, 07:28 AM   #30
Pete Nappier
Dojo: Lincolnton Aikido & Foothills Budokan
Wink

hey pete

if you want to lose weight and change your life forever i can help you...this is a program not a diet. diets are too easy to quit. in this program you have to do four things:
1. change your eating habits. every thing you put in your mouth today, you will wear on your hips tomarrow. low fat intake. keep your fat grams going in to about 10 to 15 grs per day. eat six meals a day 1 serving of protein and 1 serving of carbs. nothing else! one day a week eat want ever you want as your cheat day.
2. get on an aerobic program. aerobic kick boxing is the best to burn fat. aikido will but it takes a long time to get to that level of training.
3. supllement your diet with nutritional supplements like fat burnners. diet fuel is one, phen phree is another. gnc stores carry these product and you should get a book on supplmental training.
4. you have to lift weights! 4 times a week . more on that later.

hope this helps it chnged my life forever!

pete nappier
Old 08-07-2000, 03:08 AM   #31
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Talking

Thanks every one of you who has posted both encouragment and advise!! There is lots to take on board and mull over!!

I have missed a few classes due to having my first major overseas holiday in Orlando, so I am kind of dreading taking my first class since returning!! It won't be until a week Friday as I am away again this weekend visiting the in-laws which will mean I have missed almost 3 and a half weeks!! I just know I am going to ache loads whne I get back to class!!

Pete N, if you want to cvontact me off list (peter.swann@btcellnet.net) I am interested in what you have to say!!

Once again, thanks all for the advice!!

Pete

Old 08-08-2000, 09:34 PM   #32
jrfreed353
Dojo: just moved
Smile

Well Pete...I (as so many other replies) am a larger man 5'9" and 260 and started Akido two months ago. My ukemi has been comming along quite well due to excess practice, but in order execute safe ukemi stretch very well.
I run through our stretching routine everyday and feel great.
Just remember to go slow...crawl before you run....and take your stretching very seriously. It will keep you healthy and safe on the mat.

Old 08-08-2000, 09:52 PM   #33
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
it is interesting to practice aikido against a larger person.....I first experienced this 2 weeks ago against a much larger person who's joints are also a little stiff. It can be quite frustrating as I either execute the movement properly or the big man doesn't budge so in that case it is also very rewarding both that you are forced to use proper technique and because I could see the effect aikido has on someone twice your own weight. I happen to be very tall and I think that is often challenging for many others taking nage against me.....as I am very new though more often than not I get the movements wrong and also being tall means I have a long way to fall to the ground. Anyways just a few little thoughts hehe

damien
Old 08-08-2000, 10:31 PM   #34
aikido4life
Dojo: Onshikan Dojo
I understand how some of you feel, yet I fear my ukemi is bad for another reason. Not only am I very tall (6'5 6'6) but I also lack upbody strength. I think my arms buckle under my own weight when i begin my roll. I only weigh like 211 lbs,which isn't much at my height. I figure the more time I spend at my aikikai the better I will become and the more strength I will build. Luckily I grew up a skateboarder, so I'm not to fragile due to falling so much from that, so I don't get hurt. I just look really bad and hear my Sensei tell me everytime I make it to class, (I work really odd hours) that I need to come to class more!

Bless everyone of you. Big and small =)
Old 08-08-2000, 11:46 PM   #35
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
smaller people have to remember though- on the street, small people usually don't attack big people- usually the other way around... so cherish the big people in your dojo and work with them (at their pace) as much as possible.

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 08-09-2000, 12:23 AM   #36
akiy

Quote:
aikido4life wrote:
Not only am I very tall (6'5 6'6) but I also lack upbody strength. I think my arms buckle under my own weight when i begin my roll. I only weigh like 211 lbs,which isn't much at my height.
Don't forget that during a roll, your arms aren't really holding up all 211 pounds of your body since there's forward momentum involved. At any point during the roll, there should only be a fraction of your own body weight "touching" the ground.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-09-2000, 01:10 AM   #37
aikido4life
Dojo: Onshikan Dojo
Ahh yes. I understand what you mean. I think alot of my troubles come from not tucking my head properly.

Gary
Old 08-09-2000, 08:42 AM   #38
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Gary,
I've had a similar problem - still have with my left-handed ukemi.
What you need to remember is to use your tegatana - keep unbendable arm during the roll, and project yourself forwards, not downwards. When I say project I mean with intent, not just muscles..
Ubendable arm is only used as a guide - you can see experienced Aikidoka doing forward rolls without arms..

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 08-10-2000, 03:00 AM   #39
Pete
"Pete"
Anonymous User
The forward rolls without using the arms are included as part of the warm up in our dojo for those who know how to do them!!! Very interesting to watch!!

Pete

Old 08-12-2000, 04:40 AM   #40
Max Factor
Dojo: Chatham Aikido unarmed combat club
Ki Symbol

i have been in aikido for 3 years now, and from reading is sound like a lot of first time jitters and thats normal....

All your life you have been told don't fall down you will look silly, now your in aikido and we are asking you to fall down.

so when you are rolling try not to think of rolling as falling.Try to think it as welcoming the mats there there to help you and protect you.

the mats are not place fall but to train.

Nate
Old 08-12-2000, 02:44 PM   #41
usuakari
Vary the technique

Techniques are not static. That is, they must change per opponent. If a person is larger, adapt your techniques to such mass. If your opponent
has stiff joints, adapt your technique to such rigidity. Look at obstacles as advantages and use them against an individual.

In forcing a technique to work right the same way all the time, you will
lose sight of the fact that not all people move and react the same. It is
you who must adapt to your opponent, not the other way around. You should never be the one instigating to begin with, so your movements
and reactions must be in accord with the individual and the situation.

Thus, the general concept of a technique must be sound, but the practice and execution of the technique may have a thousand variations.

I invite you to my discussion on points such as these at my website:
http://www.geocities.com/usuakari/

Any comments are appreciated.

-Oliver Pierce

Harmony and oneness with all things comes from within, your spirit. In developing your spirit you will know your enemy's true intentions.
Old 08-12-2000, 03:11 PM   #42
Erik
Re: Vary the technique

Quote:
usuakari wrote:
Techniques are not static. That is, they must change per opponent. If a person is larger, adapt your techniques to such mass. If your opponent
has stiff joints, adapt your technique to such rigidity. Look at obstacles as advantages and use them against an individual.

Any comments are appreciated.

-Oliver Pierce
An interesting comment someone made last night was that "uke is always right." In regards to your comments it's dead on.
Old 10-05-2000, 06:11 AM   #43
Pete
"Pete"
Anonymous User
Talking UPDATE

Hey folks,

Thanks again to all those of you who posted both encouragement and advice!!

For the record I am now getting used to doing rear breakfalls from techniques such as kategaishi (sp?) and tenchinage and, although not particularly graceful, they do make me feel more like I am involved fully in the class rather than having to stop a technique 'at that point'!!

Rolling breakfalls are still unchartered territory for me, however, I know they will come with time!! I am gaininng confidence with hurling this body at the ground with each lesson so in time I know it will become easier!!

Thanks all once again

Pete

Old 10-09-2000, 06:37 PM   #44
Mariahn Scarborough
Dojo: Two Cranes
Thumbs down Boy do I understand!

I am a very beginner, just like you. I am just over five feet tall and weigh in at 162 pounds.

I practice rolls a lot. Mostly I practice from a kneeling position at home and I AM getting better.

Do I look "daft". Yup. At 38 years old, I don't care. As my 6'5" husband and fellow aikidoka always says - "Remeber the point." (We really look daft training together, but it is a lot of fun.) The training is the point. So you just keep on.

I know LOTS of dojo's that would love to have just ONE beginner to work with.

Happy training.

Mariahn Scarborough
Old 10-10-2000, 09:59 AM   #45
Pete
"Pete"
Anonymous User
I know what you mean about the higher grades liking a beginner!! Seems in our dojo the dan grades are quite keen to 'play' with me!! And they are quite gentle too!!

I haven't room enough to practice rolling at home at present, but we are moving some time in the near future so I will be able to give it a try!!

Pete

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes