Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,806
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Given that this is a six-year-old thread, I'm willing to bet that OP has either learned how to fall or has left aikido.

Let's let the old dead threads stay dead, hm?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
Location: Devon
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,219
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Let's let the old dead threads stay dead, hm?
Like zombies, they keep on getting up Mary, you can't keep a good one down.

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
chillzATL
Location: ATL
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 847
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

FWIW, a lot of forums encourage people to respond to old threads rather than create new ones on the same subject.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
FWIW, a lot of forums encourage people to respond to old threads rather than create new ones on the same subject.
I am with Jason on this; it helps keep information on a topic generally in one place. Is there really an expiration on information and knowledge?

Mary, why do you have a problem with this? As soon as I see a new post in an old thread, I can make a good living by betting people you will jump in within a post or two and bring to everyone's attention just how old the thread is

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,806
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Mary, why do you have a problem with this?
Because in almost all cases, it brings up an old dispute that wasn't resolvable in the first place, and that certainly isn't resolvable now. You know what I'm talking about, Greg -- people adding comments as if the original poster were still there reading the thread, and even though whatever point they're making has already been made a dozen times. The argument that "forums encourage it" isn't accurate: forums encourage people to contribute to ACTIVE threads if they have the same question, problem or issue. That makes perfect sense, because it avoids the problem of having half a dozen active threads on the same topic -- but I've never heard of a single forum that encouraged people to dig up old moldy threads, drag them back onto the front page, and answer a question that was answered a dozen times six years ago (which would accomplish the opposite effect).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,079
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Because in almost all cases, it brings up an old dispute that wasn't resolvable in the first place, and that certainly isn't resolvable now. You know what I'm talking about, Greg -- people adding comments as if the original poster were still there reading the thread, and even though whatever point they're making has already been made a dozen times. The argument that "forums encourage it" isn't accurate: forums encourage people to contribute to ACTIVE threads if they have the same question, problem or issue. That makes perfect sense, because it avoids the problem of having half a dozen active threads on the same topic -- but I've never heard of a single forum that encouraged people to dig up old moldy threads, drag them back onto the front page, and answer a question that was answered a dozen times six years ago (which would accomplish the opposite effect).
On the other hand, sometimes it brings up new slants on an old topic - something newer, anyway than the classic "this is an old thread" comment.

Anyway, if bringing up old topics again is verboten then...most new threads probably will never get started.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
FWIW, a lot of forums encourage people to respond to old threads rather than create new ones on the same subject.
Yes, this is my experience too. It makes it much easier to organize the posts on a given subject, instead of having to search through many different threads.

Personally the one thing I do find frustrating about old threads on aikiweb is the one or two people who always jump in to comment on the age of the thread. Like, every single time. In other forums I've been in, people don't do that, by the way -- they either join the new/renewed conversation, or not, exactly the same as in any other thread, and if someone else isn't interested, they can freely choose not to read it -- exactly the same as in any other thread.

If the people who are currently discussing the topic are happy to discuss it, and if the moderator doesn't object (or hasn't chosen to close old threads automatically after a certain period of time), IMO it is no business of any random person's to go in and tell people to shut up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Because in almost all cases, it brings up an old dispute that wasn't resolvable in the first place, and that certainly isn't resolvable now.
Then let's just not have an open discussion forum. Have a forum involving only pre-approved letters that are judged based on novelty and what they add to the subject. In real life, the same subject come up over and over again. That's life, frankly. If the moderator doesn't care, butt out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
dave9nine
Dojo: Aikido Institute - Oakland
Location: Oakland
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 80
United_States
Offline
Re: On "Resurrecting" Old Threads

i tried to bring this up once, too. and got nowhere. inmo, this happens because some folks imagine themselves as being at the center of these conversations, and so to see it pop up again is viewed as if they were being asked to take part in it again--even though it doesnt have to have anything to do with them if they dont want it to. as if no other people in the world could possibly be starting these conversations for themselves for the first time..

the unfairness about it, to me, is that, as was stated, the forum is set up to direct newer people to thread topics so as not to start a new one with the same topic; so naturally its going to pop back up in the front page ... oooo such an inconvenience ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Because in almost all cases, it brings up an old dispute that wasn't resolvable in the first place, and that certainly isn't resolvable now..
I hear what you are saying, but I don't think that happens in all cases - I am with Chris, I think it can provide the opportunity to inject new or updated perspectives on things.

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,806
United_States
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Yes, this is my experience too. It makes it much easier to organize the posts on a given subject, instead of having to search through many different threads.
Isn't that the function of stickies?

And nobody told anybody to shut up, Basia, so stop trying to create a strawman. I'll bow to the will of the mob and say nothing more about the stinking zombie threads, but damn, don't lie about it.

Done here, done here, so very very very done.

Last edited by lbb : 05-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
James Sawers
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
James Sawers's Avatar
Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
Location: Chicago, IL
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: On "Resurrecting" Old Threads

Sorry, guess this lively discussion is my fault.........I didn't see the date on the post, but I did read the threads and thought my comment might be something new........??

Anyway, it's nice to hear from all of you. I'm new to this site and it's nice to know that people are actually out there reading this stuff..........

In Good Practice

Jim

www.nothing-works.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: Instructor got mad because I didnt fall

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
And nobody told anybody to shut up, Basia, so stop trying to create a strawman. I'll bow to the will of the mob and say nothing more about the stinking zombie threads, but damn, don't lie about it.
Quote:
Let's let the old dead threads stay dead, hm?
Sorry, I paraphrased. You did use much politer language, that's true. I see no difference at all in meaning, though. It's just a politer way of saying shut up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: On "Resurrecting" Old Threads

I.e., wasn't intending to misrepresent anyone's words or actions. Seemed like a straightforward enough summary/paraphrase/description of a behaviour.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
Location: Stamford Connecticut
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 382
United_States
Offline
Re: On "Resurrecting" Old Threads

Hi, everyone. I've been tied up most of this year, and everytime I take the time to actually sign on instead of just reading without doing that, there is a little "Hi Diana" notice, mentioning I haven't posted in a while and to please take a few minutes.

I appreciate the kind word, so here I am. Being about a year and a half on AikiWeb, I just love old threads, but I can see Mary's point, sometimes the old threads are very very long, or have questions that are very old from people not active on the forums these days. I guess it all boils down to individual preference, would you prefer a fresh new thread with current people replying to it, or would you like to search further back on the threads to hunt out all the perspectives and points of view on a topic you are very interested in.

I guess it takes all kinds to make a world. I usually avoid heated discussions, by the way, because years ago I would try to see the point of view of both sides of any discussion or real dispute between people and get a symbolic black eye from both! That's how I got the nickname of Panda. Some of my former students remembered the story and actually sent a few letters or emails to me as The Great Panda as some sort of legendary character.

Well, enough about me. I just want to point out a feature where you can look up related threads if you scroll down. I have found some fascinating stuff that way. Or you can use the search function.

Sincerely, Daian, trying not to become a panda again.

Last edited by Diana Frese : 05-07-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: clarified by changing word; typo
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Ellis Amdur
Location: Seattle
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 815
Offline
Can I sit here?

The irony is that if someone posts a new thread on an "old" subject, they are immediately deluged with scornful, "Do a search" comments. So they do a search and now want to comment on what they found. They can:
1. Resurrect the old thread and get jumped on, particularly if they disagree with a position on that old thread - and no, it's not the same as in a new thread, because the jumpers throw down their authority based on the history of the thread that shouldn't have been revived anyway.
2. Start a new thread, cite the old thread, as a response, have people comment that "we've already discussed this"

Aikiweb runs the risk, of becoming a rather closed little group, with a few factions, recycling the same discussions amongst the same people. New people join and are quickly put in their place - that whatever they attempt to discuss or ask about is old news - but don't you dare bring up the old news for a fresh look.

One thing about aikido that I've always liked (and that I personally don't think conflicts with it as a martial art) is that a lot of people who join get incredibly enthusiastic - in fact, they get really happy. There is something about the art that makes a lot of people joyful. I see such people post here on Aikiweb, and their enjoyment of discussing things is soon leached away. To be sure, some people, new or old, can be obnoxious with their agendas, and don't want to discuss anything - just be missionaries for their own position. Nonetheless, Aikiweb often reminds me of junior high, with a kid happy to be going to a new school trying to find a seat in the lunchroom.

Ellis Amdur

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Can I sit here?

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
The irony is that if someone posts a new thread on an "old" subject, they are immediately deluged with scornful, "Do a search" comments. So they do a search and now want to comment on what they found. They can:
1. Resurrect the old thread and get jumped on, particularly if they disagree with a position on that old thread - and no, it's not the same as in a new thread, because the jumpers throw down their authority based on the history of the thread that shouldn't have been revived anyway.
2. Start a new thread, cite the old thread, as a response, have people comment that "we've already discussed this"

Aikiweb runs the risk, of becoming a rather closed little group, with a few factions, recycling the same discussions amongst the same people. New people join and are quickly put in their place - that whatever they attempt to discuss or ask about is old news - but don't you dare bring up the old news for a fresh look.

One thing about aikido that I've always liked (and that I personally don't think conflicts with it as a martial art) is that a lot of people who join get incredibly enthusiastic - in fact, they get really happy. There is something about the art that makes a lot of people joyful. I see such people post here on Aikiweb, and their enjoyment of discussing things is soon leached away. To be sure, some people, new or old, can be obnoxious with their agendas, and don't want to discuss anything - just be missionaries for their own position. Nonetheless, Aikiweb often reminds me of junior high, with a kid happy to be going to a new school trying to find a seat in the lunchroom.

Ellis Amdur
Nice post, Ellis - I will trade you my peanut butter and jelly for that bologna sandwich you got

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
Location: San Diego, CA
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 155
United_States
Offline
Re: Can I sit here?

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Nice post, Ellis - I will trade you my peanut butter and jelly for that bologna sandwich you got

Greg
No sharing due to uncertainties regarding allergies.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to reply to some threads Marc Kupper Announcements & Feedback 2 12-22-2007 02:21 PM
Where did the old threads go? Walter Martindale Announcements & Feedback 1 05-23-2007 08:42 AM
Filtering/ignore buttons on threads? Gernot Hassenpflug Announcements & Feedback 10 08-06-2006 10:52 PM
Verstšndnisprobleme bei engl. Threads Dirk Hanss German 17 11-29-2005 04:16 PM
Active Forum Threads akiy Announcements & Feedback 8 06-14-2001 05:58 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate