Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States
Looking for a training partner?

Just wanted to see what kind of feedback I can get about finding a training partner. Here's the link to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/questions/364288653608407/
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Looking for a training partner?

No not generally I would not. But I do know someone from my dojo who moved to Houston a while back and I guess there really is not much to pick from in aikido out there. Kinda of a bummer for him.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States

Thanks for your response! I'm curious to see how much desire there is for training outside anyone's given dojo schedule and to what extent people would seek out someone to train with in a park.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Basia Halliop
Canada

I don't think I could imagine looking for a random person to train with just because we both nominally did the same martial art.

Training extra hours outside of regular classes with someone I already knew via my regular training, that's quite different and I've done that before.

So if the question is would I look for a training partner on a website, then no.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
susanmarie
United_States

Yes, if I moved someplace where I was having difficulty finding enough training opportunities.

Probably not at the moment as I have pretty much filled up my schedule with classes I enjoy.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

My Friend Marc just opened a Nishio Affiliated Dojo in Houston. you should check him out.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yurusu...167517?sk=info

William Hazen
Old 04-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
bob_stra
Australia

I've done it a few times. One of the things I make sure to do is to have several conversations via email first, then meet them up for a coffee someplace (my shout). Helps gauge the other person and decrease death by axe murder
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

I think the answer depends on a bunch of different things, but ultimately they boil down to: what would you hope to get by outside training that you're not getting in the dojo? That's the critical question, because the answer determines not only whether you should be looking for outside training, but what that outside training should be like.

If you are currently getting good training in your dojo, I think it's important to be very clear on your reasons for wanting outside training. And, if you feel you aren't getting good training in your dojo, I don't think that outside training is going to help.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

I don't work on fridays and I'd love to train then, but dojos in my area don't offer daytime lessons during the week. A good training partner could be a great alternative, but how do you find one with training goals that are compatible with your own? Not easy, I think.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
I don't work on fridays and I'd love to train then, but dojos in my area don't offer daytime lessons during the week. A good training partner could be a great alternative, but how do you find one with training goals that are compatible with your own? Not easy, I think.
Hopefully people at your own dojo have training goals that are compatible with your own, no? It seems like you have a problem anyway if that's not the case.

Now when it comes to extra training, whether others have the same schedule as you and wish to do extra training when you do, of course that's not always obvious. And I guess the smaller your dojo probably the less likely it is.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
No not generally I would not. But I do know someone from my dojo who moved to Houston a while back and I guess there really is not much to pick from in aikido out there. Kinda of a bummer for him.
IME, there's plenty of aikido in the Houston area ranging from crap to pretty fucking amazing.

Best,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States

Shobu Aikido which is an Aikido School of Ueshiba dojo is in my opinion worth considering. The head instructor Ana Arango Sensei and I believe a few of her students were at a seminar with Saotome Sensei at the Nashville Aikikai last month where I took my Sandan exam. They certainly seemed like good people performing good aikido.

1320 Hawthorne St.
Houston TX 77006
713-818-2396
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
Hopefully people at your own dojo have training goals that are compatible with your own, no? It seems like you have a problem anyway if that's not the case.

Now when it comes to extra training, whether others have the same schedule as you and wish to do extra training when you do, of course that's not always obvious. And I guess the smaller your dojo probably the less likely it is.
Concerning training goals, I was thinking about a training partner outside of dojo hours. During dojo hours there are many different training partners, each with their own goals. That's great, I like the variation.

But if I were to train regularly outside of the dojo, with one particular training partner, I think it matters a lot more how compatible you are as persons and as training buddies. I would like to train with someone who likes to experiment and who likes to go slow. Preferably someone who is better than me and a person whose notion of aikido makes sense to me.

I could post a request on the facebook page of our aikido organization, but I'm hesitant to do so.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
Alberto_Italiano

Quote:
Shawn Carey wrote: View Post
Thanks for your response! I'm curious to see how much desire there is for training outside anyone's given dojo schedule and to what extent people would seek out someone to train with in a park.
For me, that is indispensable.
Alas, I'm not in Houston!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
marklip
United_States

Thanks for the recommendation William.

To the op:
Hello Shawn,
I'm Mark Lipsinic, the person William Hazen recommended.
I am more then willing to meet and discuss your inquiry for a partner to do some outside training.
Currently, I am in process of starting my own Nishio Aikido dojo here in Houston.
http://www.houstonaikikai.com
At this time I am still trying to find a permanent location for the dojo. However, I hope to at least have a temporary training location secured by the end of the month.
I also have ten Zebra tatami grappling mats at home that I can lay out to train with in my living room.

Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 05-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Just an observation.
Marc is a fine training partner and well adept in his tradition.
His movement is precise, his touch is gentle and his attitude is patient and humble.

Be well.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
IME, there's plenty of aikido in the Houston area ranging from crap to pretty fucking amazing.

Best,
I am sure that is true. I was mistaken about which city in Texas my friend had moved to.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015