Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Aikido Dancer
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara
United_States
Dance and Aikido

Hi all!

I am a dancer just beginning to discover aikido.

I have a passion for movement and am extremely intrigued by the philosophy of aikido, its intersection of the mental and the physical. I came to this forum to better understand aikido and its community of practitioners.

I was introduced to aikido through an internship at Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara. As a dancer, I could see instant parallels between the two disciplines, which I explore in my blog: A Dancer's Guide to Aikido (adancersguidetoaikido.aksb.org).

Looking forward to sharing experiences, thoughts and perceptions with you!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Dance and Aikido

Hi Oxana,

Welcome to AikiWeb and to aikido.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

Quote:
Oxana Ermolova wrote: View Post
Hi all!

I am a dancer just beginning to discover aikido.

I have a passion for movement and am extremely intrigued by the philosophy of aikido, its intersection of the mental and the physical. I came to this forum to better understand aikido and its community of practitioners.

I was introduced to aikido through an internship at Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara. As a dancer, I could see instant parallels between the two disciplines, which I explore in my blog: A Dancer's Guide to Aikido (adancersguidetoaikido.aksb.org).

Looking forward to sharing experiences, thoughts and perceptions with you!
Welcome to the world of aikido; I have recently discovered that I am quite passable (for a complete novice) at the argentine tango. Coincidence? I think not

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Welcome to our community, Oxana.
One thing I can tell you is that the same qualities that make a good dancer will also make a good martial artist.
Now, your determination will make the rest.
The fun has just started!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

My main teacher over the years has been Paul Smith (or Paul Douglas to use his stage name) who runs Tetushinkan - see http://www.movingeast.co.uk/tetsushi...aul_Smith.html

Tetsushinkan has had a fair few dancers as aikido students over the years as a result. For those of us less physically able, it can be occasionally annoying to work with such flexible people That said, aikido takes work and effort, and dancers need time to learn it too - it is not always that close to the skills they have learned as dancers (but depends on your teachers - for example Sasha, Paul's wife, now teaches dance at The Place, informed by many years of aikido alongside her dance experience).

Hope you have fun!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Quote:
Robert Cowham wrote: View Post
My main teacher over the years has been Paul Smith (or Paul Douglas to use his stage name) who runs Tetushinkan - see http://www.movingeast.co.uk/tetsushi...aul_Smith.html
How nice to hear this dojo is still going, I had a brief visit to the London dojo in the late 90's and just prior to it moving away for some time I discovered a month hence Quite confronting for the brain at the time...enjoyed the videos on the website. thanks

dan

Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Reminds me of a post I wrote a long way back [the magic of the search function]. There is a lot of connection not jut at the physical movement level but what it really takes to get there.

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Actually Jo I use the dance analogy quite often to get my students to understand Budo spirit.

When a top-level ballet dancer does Giselle she must become a 16 year bundle of naivety.
When she dances Carmen she must become a 26 year old pack of trouble.
Same with Budo - you must mentally become what you are trying to achieve.

That little aside most ballet teachers (I'm married to one) at local clubs face the same problem as Aikido . Students just going through the motions. She has commented a number of times about the level of discipline shown by students of my teacher and how a greater proportion seem to get it.

Now the physical requirement of top-flight dancers is pretty high and that coupled with the almost anorexic nature of the women make the potential for injury horrible. I don't wish that life on anyone.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Aikido Dancer
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara
United_States

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and insight!
There is so much fascinating information and wisdom on the forums here at AikiWeb. It is profoundly humbling yet so inspiring.
I am so grateful to have found this site! I think it will be a great guide to deepening my understanding of the practice.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
ENevois
Dojo: Three Rivers Aikido
United_States

I'm anxious to follow your blog Oxana. As a former dancer myself and well into my Aikido training, I'm happy to find fellow female aikidoka to share their experiences.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!