Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #51
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Smile Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

A thought provoking post indeed. For those with the acute awareness of my post will notice, I actually did not criticise anything! It was simply a statement of MY observations, and I simply asked for thoughts on them.

To nick regnier, you seem to understand my intentions here. It is not about good or bad or wright and wrong. Personally I think they are both equally important because at there core they are trying to teach the same thing, how to be present enough in a possible dangerous situation and how to deal with it, at this level competioin hardly comes into it, it is indeed a moot point.

However when we then talk about applying the principles of whatever art we are practicing ito daily life, we only have to switch on the news at night or read a history book of 20th century to see the complete madness of the collective competitive human mind. That's my most honest humble opinion. For what it's worth, I can truly see why O'sensei removed it, isn't it so blatantly obvious, and hidden in plain sight,........ Sorry Ellis if you read this, I couldn't resist.

In Budo

Andy B
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #52
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Dave
Just about any fight exists within rules. Sparring for the most always happens with agreed rules-and then most people who spar- are doing it to experiment and learn, sometimes for competition, sometimes not.
Training-to me- exists on three levels
1. You do solo work to change the mind/body
2. You do push/ pull stress testing to learn to condition the mind/body- to forces against it.
3. You do static martial arts kata (including drills in sport oriented forms like Judo BJJ and wrestling) to learn principles of movement and to condition the mind/ body for use in technique.
4. You do flow drills to condition the body and to learn how to make those principles and techniques happen against someone who doesn't want them to happen to them at speed.
5. You spar to test and better learn how to utilize all of your training in a more pressurized yet controlled environment. For most people this only included people in one style. This included almost all competition.
6. You fight for different reasons. Sport fighting has rules. Believe it or not most bar fights have preconditioned "rules" implied or through conditioning;
  • Men will almost never kick you in the balls (women almost always do) So there is a natural inhibitory factor for men to not do that over women
  • Men will almost never pull hair (women almost always do) though I did see guys hold on to a guy's beard while they pummeled him on two different occasions.
  • Both will almost always grab you to try and close the distance
  • Women will almost certainly try to embarrass and rip the clothes and pull earings of women. For men (unless it is hockey where they need the counter balance on the rink) it is usually accidental.
  • Women don't usually punch in the face-it is the number target for men.
  • Women will scratch at face and eyes -I have seen a man do that
  • Both will defend their friends and start gang fighting...you.
  • Men used furniture -chairs, pool cues, pool balls.
  • Neither that I have seen go for a lethal attack to the throat.
  • Only men-in my experience will change on you and go lethal.
  • I have only had a knife (pulled on me and others) by men.
This is from my experience hanging out with bikers in the 70's and also being a bouncer and watching You tube videos and talking with other bouncers. Things may be different today and in different cultures.

My main point here is that fighting- for strange reasons- typically included inhibitors without being stated. As an alternate example (for reasons I will not discuss here) I know professionals that will go for your eyes, balls, and throat to stop you and then kill you. One of which ended with a huge guy opened up from crotch to ear as he bled out on top of the guy below him. Their idea of a fight is a bit different for some pretty serious reasons. Now, oddly, while they need to make it home over any perceived notion of rules, their peers on a different day, may have to function within very defined rules.

So, competition with rules is not as artificial as some claim, yet it is also a big jump toward a more reality based martial art experience. Sparring is another level that Aikido randori does not come close to covering.
Most so called martial artists -in real fight would- prove to be neither martial or an artists in any sense of the word. The reasons for that are simple. other than in your own imagination, you are never going to be able to pull off what you do in a dojo in a stress induced adrenaline-dump state, unless you have done that so many times you can go cold and move freely.
In fact most Martial artists (and by the way MMA and Bjj guys) when they start to get totally dominated and picked apart while getting pummeled, amp up and stress and start to gas. And when they see the other guy cold...instantly realize they are in trouble. I've seen a couple of guys talking to the guy as the beat the crap out of him, thus putting the nail in the coffin that they are head hunting and not stressed in the least way. That alone controls their mindset even further.

On the whole I don't think it is wise for the majority of Aikido people to even be in these discussions. Due to the nature of their training, they really have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to combatives. It is the another one reason they have earned a reputation for falling apart under stress against better trained Martial artists sport or otherwise. I am not saying all Aikido-ka as I know and have met guys around the world who cross train and are extremely capable. They will be the first to tell you that their aikido has soared to new heights because of it.

In closing I don't want to hear some nitwit telling me I am bashing aikido again. I think I am on the cutting edge of making Aikido extremely powerful again-in dojos around the world filled with Aikido teachers. Why? Because I have a love for what Morihei Ueshiba was trying to do and say, and he would be behind this movement 100%.
Dan
Dan why are you opposed to people's observations and point taking, did I criticise anything, no! Just My observations and thoughts. Mine :-) but I guess having a thought like " O'sensei would understand me and be 100% behind ME!", and then believing it does not give much room for others, thoughts and ideas now does it? Oh my, that does sound like one has a massive ego issue from one who should really know better.

And on the point of not having any competative experience how would you know. ( yes now I'm annoyed now). I went toa school which had one of the worst cases for drug taking, teenage pregnancies, and bullying rates in the country. Guess what category I fell into being a shy quiet kinda of a lonely person, yeah you guest it, the school punch bag, yep every school has one and if they deny it they are only deluding themselves. I got beat up everyday pretty much in school, why, because I "appeared" to be different, so I was bullied throught my school years, I learned if I just take it things will turn out ok, telling someone would have been ( and was a joke), that just made it ten times worse. But I realised even then that this was due to a competative mind. I didn't have the right blazer, old worn shoes, my parents were on welfare so I had free school meals, instead being able to by sweets like the rest of the kids, and they knew it. Having to borrow kit from the school because I didn't have any of my own then getting constantly teased for it. I myself dd not have probem with my so called lack, because inside I was free of all of it. This is all down to the mental, and believe me it is mental!, the mental conditioning of constant competition that is endemic in society.

7 years later I was partaking in an aikido demonstration in my home town (which I had left for several years), at least 4 of the worst offenders saw that demonstration, and came upto me afterwords and apologised almost on bended knees for what they did, and they saw that it was due to competition that they were conditioned almost to play and act it out. And do you know what I said Dan, that's ok too, Jesus said on the cross forgive them father for they do not know what they do! Why would you want to hurt somebody back who do not know what they are doing? And this I understood when I was in school that's whyI didn't fight back, because they truly did not know what they were doing, and I could not hurt them back for it.

And what do you know, I still am.

In Budo

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 02-26-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Clearer centencing
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #53
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Now all those following this post, read my last post and my reply to Dan, now what do say on my original posting in the grand scheme of things. Ideas please, and thank you all for participating in this discussion.

In Budo

Andy B

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 02-26-2012 at 09:43 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #54
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
Dan why are you opposed to people's observations and point taking, did I criticise anything, no! Just My observations and thoughts. Mine :-)
And what do you know, I still am.

In Budo
Mr. Bedford
I have no idea what you are talking about or who you are.
I was addressing Dave and his points. I don't recall ever referring to the OP.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-26-2012 at 09:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #55
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Er...contrary to what I said?
How are you doing anything but restating what I did say?

I'll leave the military stuff out as I don't like to talk above my paygrade. My observations WERE my paygrade.
Well, you used the word 'rules' in a bar room fight context - I understood what you were saying, but I would just have left the word 'rule' out to avoid the chance of any misunderstanding - 'precondition' and 'condition' are sufficient enough, IMO

ps: the military part was not in response to anything you said; some of us are very familiar with your paygrade; and how well it can hurt

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #56
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

OP...you seem to have shift your focus from competitive martial methodologies to competition as in fighting over scarce resources, bullying, and other social issues in which people attempt to impose their will over others for personal gain.

These are completely different perspectives and frankly there are a lot of causes for these negative things. There are many examples where competitive sports programs have been introduced in these environments and have improved the sitiuation .

If your question is about discussing ways to stem or resolve social problems in these environments...let's first define the problems adequately and identify the issues clearly. If you state a very ethereal and open ended question as your original post was...well u get the answers you got.

Love to discuss these issues, but seems like you are gunning for a one sided answer that states that non competitive practices are the best way to address. That is fine for purposes of debate, but you can't redefine or introduce new constraints or parameters to the equation.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #57
matty_mojo911
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 38
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
C. I don't really much care whether you believe it or not. Being called a liar is almost routine for me on Aikiweb and E-budo. I have NEVER had to apologize for stating something I could do. The only consistent thing I have experienced on the internet and related to the internet is the incredible number of times I have been apologized to.... after they find out how much I don't say....out of politeness.

Dan
Fair call, but I'm not calling you a liar, just saying that I think you are exagerating.

Anyway I can relate as I've defeated many people with my inner Aiki, my inner Ki (call it what you want it doesn't matter most people don't understand it anyway) including plenty of MMA fighters and BJJ practictioners. Hell yeah they even say sorry to me later because they doubted me, you've got to respect them for that. It's all cool Dan, I know where you're coming from, most people don't but at least we have an understanding.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #58
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

For me, the practice of martial arts, have always been a practice bigger than the physical techniques themselves. I again urge those who do not understand to re-read my original post. Here I proposed to put down in some kind of logical flow, what is the underpinning principles that are taught from a competative and non-competative perspectives, or attitude. And you know what, I did not judge even my own thoughts,

Now if we do not try our utmost, what difference will it make training in this or that technique, if we are truly to change the minds of contention, which is another way of saying the out dated competative mind, we must see the madness first, if we believe ( and belief is only another thought form) that I am right you are wrong, or add things to gain a better sense of self ( look at what I'm doing and O'sensei would agree with me) we are already trapped in the competative mind stream and are guilty just as everyone else's.

How do we break this, first teach people not to lose, so that nobody loses. Teach them to have that sense of control over an aggressive determined attacker. But not with the sense of having to control or to dominate, but with a kind of empathy that allows that person to be just as he is and have deffinate control of the situation, dominate the situation not the person! Remove the personal me from the situation.

"Look at that guy and see what he has done to me and oh ok he wants to fight I'm gonna show him I can beat him with X Y Z, technique from such and such an art, and that will prove me right if I beat him up and completely dominate him and smash him to the ground."

You have to see the madness, before you can come up with cure for it.

Shouldn't Budo be for the greater good. BUDO " A WAY TO PUT A STOP TO CONTENDING SPEARS"
If not then there really is not much point, anything less is dare I say it childish. I'm right your wrong so let's have an argument about it, it's still contending!

There comes a point, when you are a teacher of whatever it maybe, and you ask yourself the question.
"will this help the greater good, or am I doing something that adds to the madness?"

In Budo

Andy B
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #59
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,073
Spain
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post

Shouldn't Budo be for the greater good. BUDO " A WAY TO PUT A STOP TO CONTENDING SPEARS"
If not then there really is not much point, anything less is dare I say it childish. I'm right your wrong so let's have an argument about it, it's still contending!
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13647
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #60
Garth
Location: NYC
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 92
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Man in the Arena

One of the top three most requested quotes is that regarding the "man in the arena" or "not the critic"

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Below are additional quotations related to the more famous and later quote. These quotes taken from a cdrom - The Works of Theodore Roosevelt - National Edition, A PRODUCT OF H-BAR ENTERPRISES COPYRIGHT 1997

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." (1891)

"Criticism is necessary and useful; it is often indispensable; but it can never take the place of action, or be even a poor substitute for it. The function of the mere critic is of very subordinate usefulness. It is the doer of deeds who actually counts in the battle for life, and not the man who looks on and says how the fight ought to be fought, without himself sharing the stress and the danger." (1894)

The competitive mind or model is not outdated Andrew. Never will be . This from a hundred years ago.
I'm sure we can go back to the beginning and find similar quotes.
I consider that a criticism .
How do we reconcile the fact that Osensei once enlightened, espoused the spirit of that which you speak., but spent most of his life competing against the bullies, the establishment.
And being one of the few who figured it out, left most all, in fact told all to figure it out for yourselves.
I believe to Terry Dobson in his book.
Or that the people who came to challenge him and Tohei and Shirata and others certainly were on the " losing" side of a competition, a fight, an argument or whatever you choose to call it.

A day will dawn when you will yourself laugh at your effort. That which is on the day of laughter is also now.
Ramana Maharishi
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #61
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
IMO, sports is competitive and the study of budo is not; the former has rules and clear definitions of who loses and who wins - the latter has rules but there does not have to be a loser or winner; there is an exchange and both sides can be considered winners if they learn.

Now bar/street fighting is an entirely different animal, and contrary to what Dan says, there are really no rules - however, there will be conditioned behavioral responses based upon any martial training and other gender behavioral patterns that makes up the person - that is why men and women have different response actions in a fight - trust me, no one is thinking what to do next, they are simply responding based on their conditioned experiences and training. Of course, I think there are also some instinctive survival stuff going on as well, but that is so subjective it would be difficult to detail in a general discussion.

Now military combative situations are something entirely different and only those that have experience or training in that environment can provide any realistic information about that.

Greg
Just a little clarification on my post; I was a little rushed when I placed it out there.

First, my post was not in response to anyone's particular post - I was just stating my thoughts on the competition vs non-competitive things in the context of fights and martial engagements starting at highly competitive sports fighting with a lot of rules up to the other extreme of military combat with essentially no rules. Dan's use of the word 'rules' in a bar fight context caught my eye - I just do not associate the word 'rule' with any real fight. However, I agree with all he stated there - I would just have used the term preconditioned or conditioned behavioral tendencies instead

As for the military combative comment, that also was not made in response to any particular post - It was just a general statement saying I feel only those with experience or training in that area should provide input on topics talking about it. For example, If Kevin Leavitt talked about it, I would listen because I know his military background as compared to someone I know that has no military background - that is all.

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #62
nickregnier1
Dojo: Aspire Aikido London
Location: London
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: My thoughts on competition vs Non-competioin

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
Dan why are you opposed to people's observations and point taking, did I criticise anything, no! Just My observations and thoughts. Mine :-) but I guess having a thought like " O'sensei would understand me and be 100% behind ME!", and then believing it does not give much room for others, thoughts and ideas now does it? Oh my, that does sound like one has a massive ego issue from one who should really know better.

And on the point of not having any competative experience how would you know. ( yes now I'm annoyed now). I went toa school which had one of the worst cases for drug taking, teenage pregnancies, and bullying rates in the country. Guess what category I fell into being a shy quiet kinda of a lonely person, yeah you guest it, the school punch bag, yep every school has one and if they deny it they are only deluding themselves. I got beat up everyday pretty much in school, why, because I "appeared" to be different, so I was bullied throught my school years, I learned if I just take it things will turn out ok, telling someone would have been ( and was a joke), that just made it ten times worse. But I realised even then that this was due to a competative mind. I didn't have the right blazer, old worn shoes, my parents were on welfare so I had free school meals, instead being able to by sweets like the rest of the kids, and they knew it. Having to borrow kit from the school because I didn't have any of my own then getting constantly teased for it. I myself dd not have probem with my so called lack, because inside I was free of all of it. This is all down to the mental, and believe me it is mental!, the mental conditioning of constant competition that is endemic in society.

7 years later I was partaking in an aikido demonstration in my home town (which I had left for several years), at least 4 of the worst offenders saw that demonstration, and came upto me afterwords and apologised almost on bended knees for what they did, and they saw that it was due to competition that they were conditioned almost to play and act it out. And do you know what I said Dan, that's ok too, Jesus said on the cross forgive them father for they do not know what they do! Why would you want to hurt somebody back who do not know what they are doing? And this I understood when I was in school that's whyI didn't fight back, because they truly did not know what they were doing, and I could not hurt them back for it.

And what do you know, I still am.

In Budo
Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
A thought provoking post indeed. For those with the acute awareness of my post will notice, I actually did not criticise anything! It was simply a statement of MY observations, and I simply asked for thoughts on them.

To nick regnier, you seem to understand my intentions here. It is not about good or bad or wright and wrong. Personally I think they are both equally important because at there core they are trying to teach the same thing, how to be present enough in a possible dangerous situation and how to deal with it, at this level competioin hardly comes into it, it is indeed a moot point.

However when we then talk about applying the principles of whatever art we are practicing ito daily life, we only have to switch on the news at night or read a history book of 20th century to see the complete madness of the collective competitive human mind. That's my most honest humble opinion. For what it's worth, I can truly see why O'sensei removed it, isn't it so blatantly obvious, and hidden in plain sight,........ Sorry Ellis if you read this, I couldn't resist.

In Budo

Andy B
Dear Andy,
I could not agree more with you and I am pleased you found strength in Aikido and you are a truly gentleman who has a good heart. Your Aikido will go far.
All the best.

Nick Regnier

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #63
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,896
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
OP...you seem to have shift your focus from competitive martial methodologies to competition as in fighting over scarce resources, bullying, and other social issues in which people attempt to impose their will over others for personal gain.

These are completely different perspectives and frankly there are a lot of causes for these negative things. There are many examples where competitive sports programs have been introduced in these environments and have improved the sitiuation .

If your question is about discussing ways to stem or resolve social problems in these environments...let's first define the problems adequately and identify the issues clearly. If you state a very ethereal and open ended question as your original post was...well u get the answers you got.

Love to discuss these issues, but seems like you are gunning for a one sided answer that states that non competitive practices are the best way to address. That is fine for purposes of debate, but you can't redefine or introduce new constraints or parameters to the equation.
+1 and me too

question to OP, have you done any martial arts competition?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #64
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

To all who have commented,
Thank you. The reason I strongly worded my reponse to dan is that I take offence (intended or not) at being called a nitwit, wehn the person has no clue to my martial and military background. Simple as that really. But Dan is too of course entitled to his opinon and thats ok.

To mr steckel, I have no problen whatsover with what you have contributed with in this thread.
To mr Gregory Gargiso, I dont beleive the competative mind is a model and again I repeat the madness of can be seen by reading a history book. One example, of recent events, of the burning of the quran pages in afganistan this week, because somebody may have burned a few pages from a spiritual text the go out and murder other human beings. That my friend is non other than the compettive religious mind, and it is madness. No different to what happened leading up to the disastrous events of world war 2, and nobody I know would call that sane!

Anyone who says I am this religion I am that religion and lets fight about who is right, may as well be a child running round the room saying I`m a fire engine or a policeman, than another child over hears it and says no your not, and so they end up fighting over noithing really

All the same, Gregory your post dffianately had some food for thhought so to speak.

To nick,
Thank you once again for your support, I see this very much as a meeting of minds. Domo Arigato.

In Budo

Andy B
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #65
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,073
Spain
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Hi Andrew,

Is this you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #66
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Hi Andrew,

Is this you?
Is what me? not sure of your question.
I am simply bringing into question the princples that we teach in different arts and how they get played out on the collective world stage.

Not a question of right or wrong but a simple statement of what is, and how we go about bringing real change in the medium of martial arts. Competative or non competative, I am simply brining to attention, the insanity of the collective competative mind, because this is even more insane than the individualised state of the contentious mind.

Now we could say that this should be taught in schools at home, or whatever, it just so happens I teach a martial art, in a very respected dojo, who`s dojo Cho Is an official representative, Daihyo of the Dai nippon Butokukai. tenshinkan Dojo Uk. And I was wondering how we bring about real change through Budo!

Andy B

P.s
Sorry to all of my spelling mistakes.

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 02-27-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #67
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,073
Spain
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
Is what me?
Are you the person in the clip I linked?

Quote:
noty sure of your question.
Blame my poor English language skills.

Quote:
I am simply bringing into question the princples that we teach in different arts and how they get played out on the collective world stage.

Not a question of right or wrong but a simple statement of what is, and how we go about bringing real change in the medium of martial arts. Competative or non competative, I am simply brining to attention, the insanity of the collective competative mind, because this is even more insane than the individualised state of the contentious mind.

Now we could say that this should be taught in schools at home, or whatever, it just so happens I teach a martial art, in a very respected dojo, who`s dojo Cho Is an official representative, Daihyo of the Dai nippon Butokukai. tenshinkan Dojo Uk. And I was wondering how we bring about real change through Budo!

Andy B
Sorry, but I'm not really interested in debate about your socio-political views or about your legitimacy as aikido instructor in the Iwama lineage (or in your alleged military experience). I only wanted to put a face to your posts.

Regards.

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 02-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #68
nickregnier1
Dojo: Aspire Aikido London
Location: London
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Dear Andy,

You are welcome. These topics are bound to bring various challenges and opinions and you are so right about raising the issue about being able to break the cycle: avoiding hurting one another because we do not agree. It is sad to know that in this world of today very few things have changed. If only everyone could understand the art of Peace... then there would be truly peace and respect.
It has been a pleasure sharing your views.

Nick Regnier

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #69
nickregnier1
Dojo: Aspire Aikido London
Location: London
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

To Demetrio Cereijo,

If you wish to see my face doing Keiko in the back garden then feel free to view these links (I understand you practice Iwama Aikido and so do I :-) ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQYCAUuCTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AAaBWGRApE

Nick Regnier

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #70
TheAikidoka
 
TheAikidoka's Avatar
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
Location: Brighton
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 127
England
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Are you the person in the clip I linked
I cannot answer that question as I am at work and they have banned access to you tube.
The only video of me practicing Aiki weapons, that I am aware of on you tube, is of me messing around with ken and Jo in my back garden, this is a poor video of my weapons work, done very early in the morning. My weapons work is vastly different to that. it was a case of some pressure from my family to post something on you tube!
honest its rubbish and not a true representation of what I can do, or indeed do in the dojo.

I have practitioners from Iaido, Judo, Aikido Taijitsu, Kendo, Jikiden Eishen Ryu, BJJ and karate, who practice at the dojo in there respective arts coming to my, Aikido Ken & Jo weapons classes. Thats all the proof I need to show what the worth is, of what I am trying to get across.

I just wanted to get a bigger perspective of thoughts and oppinions from the wider Aikido world.

In Budo

Andy B
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #71
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
To all who have commented,
The reason I strongly worded my reponse to dan is that I take offence (intended or not) at being called a nitwit, wehn the person has no clue to my martial and military background. Simple as that really. But Dan is too of course entitled to his opinon and thats ok.
snip....
Anyone who says I am this religion I am that religion and lets fight about who is right, may as well be a child running round the room saying I`m a fire engine or a policeman, than another child over hears it and says no your not, and so they end up fighting over noithing really

Andy B
Hmmm....
Might I suggest you get a cup of coffee and sit down and actually read what I wrote. That post was to Dave Devos -someone I do know. The nit wit was a reference to anoher individual.
It had not one thing on God's green earth to do with you whatsoever.

To be clear
I don't know you
I did not reference you
I did not address you
I did not refer to your post
I did not even read your post prior to writing -thus I could not refer to it.

Therefore
I did not discuss:
You
Your religion
Your background
Your military training (the subject of which I actually said to Greg was above my paygrade-but in your own logic are now saying that I did discuss and it was aimed at you)

Is there a reason you have chosen to take offense where none was intended and where in fact no correspondence or inference was ever made concerning you what so ever?
How is that even rational?

Have you ever heard of the word; mistake?
Look it up.

So there is no confusion; I actually am referring to you now -though I am fairly sure I never will in the future.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #72
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,073
Spain
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Nick Regnier wrote: View Post
To Demetrio Cereijo,

If you wish to see my face doing Keiko in the back garden then feel free to view these links (I understand you practice Iwama Aikido and so do I :-) ):
]
Thanks.

BTW, properly speaking, I practised Iwama Aikido.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #73
nickregnier1
Dojo: Aspire Aikido London
Location: London
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Oh ok Demetrio,

Do you practice a different Aikido now? (sorry for all folks if we are moving away from the debate)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #74
nickregnier1
Dojo: Aspire Aikido London
Location: London
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 23
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Dear Dan Harden,

Sorry if I may respond here to your last posting, I can see how easily all of this can escalate. I too got caught in another forum where I thought someone began criticising (or to be honest and exact - thought the person made a direct attack to me when in fact the comment was made to someone else!!!) me. All in all, I know that we all mean well and I appreciate you confirm your posting to reassure your views were not offending Andy in this case.
In the end, we all share our same passion which is Aikido and it is lovely to be able to connect with people like you and Andy and I hope my posting will bring peace to all (I am not being a hippie either).
I can definitely say that I truly enjoyed reading your views too!
All the best,

Nick Regnier

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #75
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,896
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Competition vs Non-competition

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
BTW, properly speaking, I practised Iwama Aikido.
noooooo! tell me that isn't sooooo! i have so much respect for you before! couldn't you just practice some ki-aikido, you know, the gentler-n-kinder stuffs?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aikido and Competition - Thoughts from Sensei Jon Cameron JAA skinnymonkey General 2 12-18-2007 09:58 AM
Meaning of Competitive? Chuck Clark Language 210 07-19-2007 01:50 PM
Competition again!!! dps General 50 08-28-2006 10:10 AM
aikido and competition ewodaj General 129 08-10-2006 11:43 AM
Tomiki Aikido and competition. jfearon General 72 03-23-2001 07:54 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2016 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2016 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate