Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
Yianie
United_States
Re: Still On The Fence

The 44 Mag was all fictitious, I could not hurt a fly (in fact I usually am able to catch them and set them free outside). That is what is so attractive to me about Aikido. I am not a quitter, and quitting the Wing Chun class yesterday because of someone else's errogance really bothered me. This IS the first thing I ever quit in my entire life, and I am serious about that.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
kewms

Hmm... I'm a little confused. You came into this adventure looking for, by your own description, "street self defense." But now you are leaving because you encountered a teacher who enjoys what he does and is good at it?

I'm not there. I'm not saying that this particular teacher isn't an arrogant jerk. I'm not saying you should stay. But why did you join his school in the first place? You might want to consider how it was that your expectations so badly misread the reality before you join another school.

In particular, I would strongly suggest that you watch at least one class, ideally several. If the teacher doesn't welcome guests, that's a bad sign in itself.

Katherine
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #28
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Still On The Fence

Quote:
John Vasos wrote: View Post
The 44 Mag was all fictitious, I could not hurt a fly (in fact I usually am able to catch them and set them free outside). That is what is so attractive to me about Aikido.
Delighted to hear it. :-) I think you'll really like Aikido.

Quote:
I am not a quitter, and quitting the Wing Chun class yesterday because of someone else's errogance really bothered me. This IS the first thing I ever quit in my entire life, and I am serious about that.
One of the things that struck me on my first visit to check out the dojo where I now train was the complete absence of "bad-a**-ery." I was very impressed with how supportive everyone was of everyone else. Patience is the rule. I don't mean coddling - people expect you to try your best - but nobody is a jerk or creep about anything. And everyone is learning, at their level. Even the dan-ranked students, never come across as "knowing everything." Indeed, they are often the most aware of how much more there is to learn, practice, and refine. And I've found the same environment at seminars, when training with people from other dojos.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #29
dps

Quote:
Hello, I am still on the fence on choosing a martial art. I have become very interested in Akido. Currently I am taking Chinese kung fu because I could not find a location that teaches combat Tai Chi. And I did not know of any Aikido schools until recently. The reason I wanted to learn combative Tai Chi is so I can learn flow with my appointment and was told that it is very useful in street fighting. I did locate an aikido school and it is seems very interesting. I have a concern that if there is a defense against someone who knows Chinese kung fu. My main concern is in Chinese kung fu they have rapid, machine gun type punches, that another Kung Fu master could quickly deflect by rapidly using your palm and twisting your waist left to right repeated deflecting all the punches. Please forgive me, but I worry that there may not be an Aikido defense (if I can not grab and lock) and I become a human punching bag. Your advice and forgiveness for asking a dumb question is requested. Thank you.
In a "street fight" you will be using gross motor skills. Learn some basics, don't worry about advanced techniques.

Learn how to move to avoid the attack while maintaining your balance.
Learn how to disrupt your attacker's balance.
Shodokan Aikido has great katas for this.
Practice everyday.

Go to a boxing gym and learn how to throw a punch.
Put up a punching bag and a speed bag and practice everday.

Practice sprinting everyday.

dps
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #30
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I get a sense that perhaps what you don't like is being an adult beginner. It is hard to go into something and feel completely incapable inadequate and unable to do what you see everyone else doing. Especially when you are an adult and have not been in that situation for many years.

Just because an instructor or someone of higher rank is letting loose and practicing at their level does not mean it is a negative at all. Even if it is a bit of showing off... you should look at that as a great chance to see what lies further down the path that you have stepped onto. Some day you also might be this good.

Goodness I just love it when my teacher has a great uke and just takes a moment to have some fun tossing them around in front of the class. So what if he/she is showing off... they have worked hard for a lot of years and they deserve to.

You have made some very general statements that really don't give any way to know if this teacher was really not behaving as a good teacher. At this point I have to feel that it is you whose attitude needs to be considered and perhaps adjusted. Open your mind and even when you don't maybe agree with what your teacher is doing try your best to go along. Sometimes I get kind of upset and frustrated and think my teacher does not understand that I just can't do it and I used to constantly say "I can't"... but my teacher very patiently just kept telling me to do whatever and then I started to realize that I could and that it was actually my own negative attitude that was in my way.

So when you step onto the mat in this next place try really hard to just empty that cup and give it a
I used to think I was nuts to even consider a martial art. I certainly never say myself wearing a brown belt much less a black and yet I'm still at itchance. Even if it looks impossible.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
matty_mojo911

Hey John - in reference to your comment about your Wing Chun instructor who doesn't get it.

The most enjoyment you'll ever get doing a martial art is watching all the "higher ranks" walk around like they are the next Jesus Christ. You know what I mean, its that look, the posture that says "I know what I'm talking about...look at me."

Even better is the posts you sometimes see here, where someone asks a decent question and some Sensei/guru replies something like "Aikido is about discovery of yourself, one day you will find it." We all know who those people are.

Sadly, Aikido is absolutely rife with these people as it can be very much an "art form" it atracts that mind set.

Prepare yourself you're in for a ride my friend, unless of course your Aikido instructor is honest, and is well based and balanced.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #32
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
The 44 Mag was all fictitious, I could not hurt a fly (in fact I usually am able to catch them and set them free outside). That is what is so attractive to me about Aikido. I am not a quitter, and quitting the Wing Chun class yesterday because of someone else's errogance really bothered me. This IS the first thing I ever quit in my entire life, and I am serious about that.
How is choosing not to do something quitting? Do you quit walmart when you go to target? Or did you just find a "better" place to do your shopping?

Remember, you are paying these people for a service, if that service is not being provided (or you don't like how it's provided, or you even think it's not being provided) it is only logical to take your money, time, and attention elsewhere.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #33
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Matt Morris wrote: View Post
The most enjoyment you'll ever get doing a martial art is watching all the "higher ranks" walk around like they are the next Jesus Christ.
Really?

If that's really "the most enjoyment you'll ever get doing a martial art", I'd say you should probably do something completely different. Watching other people and making up stories in your head about what's going on in THEIR heads sure doesn't sound like enjoyment to me, and if that's "the most enjoyment" you get from martial arts, I think you could get more enjoyment picking up litter in the local park.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #34
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

It's strange but different types of frustrations inspire different emotions. Personally, the fact that 'perfect' aikido is so elusive is a significant reason for me to keep coming back. It's finding another little clue to make my aikido better that gives me the greatest joy, especially in hindsight.

A few of your comments here seem either vague or contradictory, I think a few people have picked up on this. It may well just be that typing's tricky to get across a person's intentions, maybe! Collecting experiences in this very broad area (eg. 'martial arts', philosophy', 'self defence') will help clarify your preferences and stance though, so don't worry about it to much at this stage. It will be easier to recognise and define when you find something that clicks, that just feels right, that makes you realise you've found what you've been looking for.

All the best for your new class! For your sake I hope that it is quite challenging for you, but only in the most wonderful way; that's where the element of personal growth comes to the fore. Please keep us updated on how it all goes!

The world changes when you do.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
Yianie
United_States

I know I confused a lot of you so please let me take you there. You walk I to the dojo and get on the mat with the instructor, a master in another M.A. and a well trained student. After stretching, there will always be a conversation all hour between the two masters about comparing their technics. Then it went to the students either holding the protective pads and let the masters beat the hell out of you, or being the one trying to do something that that master should know that it should be for accelerated students. On top of that, the master in the other M.A. (not the instructor) would get off on punching you as close as he can, without hitting you. The problem would be that he would hit you. OK, so can you tell there's a problem yet? That fact is that people will only do, what gives them pleasure, something positive or the hope of someday getting something positive. The only thing I saw was getting beaten up on by one master and confused by the other. Does this sound like something you would like to try?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #36
lbb
United_States

Quote:
OK, so can you tell there's a problem yet?
Uhhh, sure, but you started this thread by stating it as a problem of choosing between aikido and kung fu...not as a problem of choosing whether waste your time being confused and abused and learning nothing, or to do just about anything else as an alternative.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #37
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Uhhh, sure, but you started this thread by stating it as a problem of choosing between aikido and kung fu...not as a problem of choosing whether waste your time being confused and abused and learning nothing, or to do just about anything else as an alternative.
What he said.

Much better to just say what the real problem is up front. The problem you had was not wiht the actual martial art but with the person teaching you. You might have found a very different and more positve experience in another dojo of the same art. Of course I do hope that you find aikido more to your liking but if you find another sensei who is not a good teacher don't blame the art, just keep looking for the right teacher.

Advice I was given when I fist decided to try aikdo. Go and visit every dojo in you r area at least once. Visit the ones yo like again. Try it for a class or two. Only then can you really know if you found the right teacher.

I got incredibly lucky and hit gold on my first visit but I doubt that this is often the case.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #38
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
I know I confused a lot of you so please let me take you there. You walk I to the dojo and get on the mat with the instructor, a master in another M.A. and a well trained student. After stretching, there will always be a conversation all hour between the two masters about comparing their technics. Then it went to the students either holding the protective pads and let the masters beat the hell out of you, or being the one trying to do something that that master should know that it should be for accelerated students. On top of that, the master in the other M.A. (not the instructor) would get off on punching you as close as he can, without hitting you. The problem would be that he would hit you. OK, so can you tell there's a problem yet? That fact is that people will only do, what gives them pleasure, something positive or the hope of someday getting something positive. The only thing I saw was getting beaten up on by one master and confused by the other. Does this sound like something you would like to try?
Depends on the name you put on the "master" and on the "instructor." I know two names I could fill in those slots and I'd be more than happy to hold the pads...

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.