Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
David Helsby
Switzerland
Hello from one of the Helsby brothers

Hello my name is David Helsby I have trainned in Aikido since 1977. I started in Ryushinkan dojo with Kanetsuka Sensei and also trained in Tempukan with Chiba Sensei. I titled my intro as one of the "Helsby brothers " as my brother Tom came to join me in London and it seems many people who remember those days, including Peter Goldsbury, (hello Peter) tend to refer to us as one entity.
I have lived and trained in; England, USA, Belgium, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, with many different teachers and styles of Aikido.
I was drawn to the Aikiweb by a thread concerning Chiba Sensei stopping the practice of Kashima Sword by his Father-inlaw Sekiya Sensei and would like to put the record straight.
I was delighted to train with Sekiya Sensei in Kashima sword and his teachings where taken up with enthusiasm by Kanetsuka until one lesson on Aikiken given by Chiba Sensei was suddenly stopped with an outburst from Chiba, his reason, some of the students where using Kashima footwork for Aikiken movements. Chiba stated that some students where not advance enough in their understanding of Aikido to be able to learn from Kashima without corrupting their basic footwork and then banned the general teaching of Kashima. I was one of the lucky ones to be able to continue to train in Kashima sword but boy was I careful around Chiba to make sure my footwork was correct but I guess we were all a bit careful when Chiba Senei was around.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: Hello from one of the Helsby brothers

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you! Welcome to AikiWeb.

Alex
Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
akiy

Hi David,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction. Nice to have you here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Helsby wrote: View Post
Hello my name is David Helsby I have trainned in Aikido since 1977. I started in Ryushinkan dojo with Kanetsuka Sensei and also trained in Tempukan with Chiba Sensei. I titled my intro as one of the "Helsby brothers " as my brother Tom came to join me in London and it seems many people who remember those days, including Peter Goldsbury, (hello Peter) tend to refer to us as one entity.
I have lived and trained in; England, USA, Belgium, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, with many different teachers and styles of Aikido.
I was drawn to the Aikiweb by a thread concerning Chiba Sensei stopping the practice of Kashima Sword by his Father-inlaw Sekiya Sensei and would like to put the record straight.
I was delighted to train with Sekiya Sensei in Kashima sword and his teachings where taken up with enthusiasm by Kanetsuka until one lesson on Aikiken given by Chiba Sensei was suddenly stopped with an outburst from Chiba, his reason, some of the students where using Kashima footwork for Aikiken movements. Chiba stated that some students where not advance enough in their understanding of Aikido to be able to learn from Kashima without corrupting their basic footwork and then banned the general teaching of Kashima. I was one of the lucky ones to be able to continue to train in Kashima sword but boy was I careful around Chiba to make sure my footwork was correct but I guess we were all a bit careful when Chiba Senei was around.
HelloMr Helsby,
Nice to have you on board. Are you still training? Hows Tom? Maybe you remember me from the old times withthe Aikikai of G.B? Joe.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello David,

Still in Switzerland, I see. Welcome to this forum. I think you'll find it, well, interesting, to say the least.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Hi david,

good to hear from you - welcome to Aikiweb
Old 12-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #7
Nick Paden
Dojo: Hull Aiki, Hull
England

Hi David, Hope you are well. You may not remember me but I trained with both you & Tom initially at Ryushinkan & then Tenpukan, until Julie & I moved (back in my case) to E.Yorks. in '88 . Nick
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Welcome!

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Hi David

Welcome to aikiweb!

I note that Tom has been filmed a few times by Mark Walsh, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPwOHqQaaY

When I returned to London, I started at Ryushinkan in '89 with Kanetsuka sensei. Started also training with Paul Smith sensei gradually, and then went with Paul when he started training with Inaba sensei (where Sekiya sensei trained Kashima Shinryu in the final years of his life, having previously trained Katori Shinto Ryu) and left the BAF.

I saw Chiba sensei in London Aikikai one time after a summer school. I also visited him in San Diego while there for work, and was very kindly received when I mentioned Paul's name, as Paul was an uchi deshi with him for a couple of years in his late teens.

Regards
Robert

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!