Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Masafumi Sakanishi Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2012-02-11 13:36:41 by Jun Akiyama

Masafumi Sakanishi sensei has passed away in Argentina. Born in 1954, he settled in Argentina in 1978 after studying aikido in Japan with instructors such as Yamaguchi sensei, Kuwamori sensei, Koyama sensei, and others including Kisshomaru Ueshiba sensei. He recently received his 7th dan promotion from Aikikai Hombu dojo in the 2012 kagami biraki promotions.

My condolences go out to his family, friends, students, and loved ones.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Peter Ralls
Dojo: Suganami Aikikai SF
Re: Masafumi Sakanishi Sensei Passes Away

I had the opportunity to train at Sakanashi Sensei's dojo in Buenos Aires a number of times and spend time with him when he would bring Kato Sensei to Argentina for seminars. Sakanashi Sensei was a very fine aikidoka, and a very generous and kind person. I had a lot of respect for him, and will truly miss him.

Peter Ralls
Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Ellis Amdur

This is really a big shock. When I joined Kuwamori Dojo, I had three training brothers: Hatano-kun, Ogawa-kun and Claudio-san. (He was a little senior (though younger than me), so he got the better honorific). We trained together, ate together, and laughed and laughed together. His wife's family included me in family gatherings - picnics, meals and the like. We were family then.

I will write more in one of my IHTBF columns. He got really strong and became a fine teacher. I'm really sad for his family. He's died way too young.

Ellis Amdur

Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

Condolence to his family and students.

Aikido Philippines
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

We lost yet another great teacher... everytime I hear this I can't help but think of the what if's...

What if this sensei could've lived just ten more years, or even just one? How many people would he have influenced? How many could he have changed?

He went far too soon, left behind far too much.

I can only hope that he died with his family and students all around him, so that he can be at peace knowing that he is not alone and that he has done a great job raising future Aikidoka's.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

When I use to visit my good friend in Mendoza, I would frequently overnight in Buenos Aires. My teacher, Imaizumi Sensei knew Masafumi Sakanishi Sensei and spoke fondly of him. The one time that I had several days to spend in that city, I sought to take a class with him. He was away teaching .... I missed an opportunity to train with a special person.... That is a regret that I can never make up for. RIP

Sincerely,

Marc Abrams

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com