Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-24-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States
Aikido and BJJ

Hello,

Five and a half years ago, I began a martial journey into the realm of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: an art that appeared to be simple, effective, and highly physical.

At the outset, I couldn't imagine two arts that were more disparate than Aikido and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. After all, in BJJ, competition is encouraged, sparring takes place in every class, there is little to no metaphysical/ spiritual discussion concerning training.

However, as years have passed, I realize more and more how similar the two arts are. Although I had read the Mits Yamashita interview (where he detailed training under the Gracies) years ago, it wasn't until I recently reread it that his message sunk in, after I had come to the conclusion independently...

They are the same. Aikido on the ground = Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The principles are the same: off balance your opponent; yield and redirect your opponents force, etc.
It just took a couple of years for me to ingrain the movements into my muscle memory, allowing me to focus more on energy flow and efficiency rather than the mechanics of the submission holds.

I encourage those with open minds to explore the following links:

http://www.onthemat.com/Images/hck/hck_camarillo.mov

These are the Camarillo brothers, well respected competitors and champions in both BJJ and Judo circles. The free flow aiki they display in this demonstration match is inspiring.

If you're interested in learning more about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, please check under the articles section at:

http://www.royharris.com/forum/

Mr. Harris' understanding of jiu-jitsu is very thorough and analytical. Highly recommended reading.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and responses on this subject.

Roy
Old 09-24-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
Tadhg Bird

Dojo: New School Aikido, Stockton, CA
United_States
Funny you should mention that! We were just discussing the same thing here: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=2597

"Words and letters can never adequately describe Aikido -- its meaning is revealed only to those who are enlightened through hard training." -- Ueshiba Morihei O Sensei
--

http://www.AikidoStuff.com
Old 09-24-2002, 11:44 PM   #3
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
You know, I've heard so much about BJJ and seen a bit of it, my curiosity is peaked. There is a BJJ class in the club where our Dojo is, I'm going to drop in on them some Monday so I can see for myself.

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:02 AM   #4
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Are there any instructors with itchy feet willing to open one here in the tropics?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #5
Roy Dean

United_States
Tadhg,

Actually that thread is what inspired my post. Between the threads on Aikido and the cage, mixed martial arts, cross-art influences, and Aikido against wrestlers and grapplers, I thought it might be best to make my observation in one thread rather than being repititious in four.

On a side note, as a new member, I'm very impressed with this forum. The interactions between members, even those that disagree vehemently, are always civil. A lot of blending going on here (verbal and otherwise), which shows me that what we're practicing on the mat really does extend far beyond the dojo...

Discover Who You Are

www.roydeanacademy.com
Old 09-25-2002, 12:05 PM   #6
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Actually, I have encourage people who have only studied Aikido to get out and experience other arts, with different levels of positive and negative responses.

The lines do blur as you become more and more proficient, don't they?

Sooner or later, even Aikido students will have a variety of classes in judo, jujitsu, and various forms of martial arts that are either seminars or integrated into the program, even if it takes a hundred years to be integrated into the program of Aikido.

Why? Because no one martial art can protect you.

So, although I am held to a particular level because of my age and illness, don't let that stop you from experiencing the great world of martial arts and solving the puzzle you need to make your training whole.

I have found Aikido to be both a sanctuary, and a place of great insight into many of the experiences I have had in delving into other arts.

As I have said, the lines blur with experience and insight.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #7
paw
Roy,

Welcome.

BJJ with Boa, eh? You're a lucky man, bro.

(Just throwin' a little UG into the mix).

Someday, I'd like to train with Mr. Harris face to face, but in the interim, he produces THE finest instructional videos and dvds (Mr. Jen does a fine job as well). Please be sure and tell him that when you see him.

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-25-2002, 01:32 PM   #8
Roy Dean

United_States
Bruce,

Indeed, the lines do blur with experience and insight. I'm just starting to realize that everything I've studied has been beneficial... that no effort has ever been wasted... even in arts that seem diametrically opposed.

Paul,

Thanks for making me feel at home. I'll pass on your sentiments when I see Mr. Harris tonight. If you ever make it out to San Diego, know that you have an open invitation at our academy.

Roy

Discover Who You Are

www.roydeanacademy.com

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!