Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Mirubiri
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 22
Spain
Offline
Rubber bokken for practice?

I was wondering if somebody knows where to buy (or make if it canīt be buy) some practice bokken like those on this video. Their seem to be soft and donīt produce sound at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQJhCIu-zI
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center
Location: chicago
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 328
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Quote:
Alejandro Jimenez wrote: View Post
I was wondering if somebody knows where to buy (or make if it canīt be buy) some practice bokken like those on this video. Their seem to be soft and donīt produce sound at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQJhCIu-zI
That may not necessarily be a rubber bokken.... I think they have a suede cover over the shinai

practice hard
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Mirubiri
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 22
Spain
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Oohps. Searching for the terms "shinai suede cover" google points me that those were sold by Bujin Design (now closed). Bad news for me
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,940
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

If you know what you want and have the shinai, any good local seamstress should be able to put together a suede cover.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Location: Stockholm
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 550
Sweden
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Itīs called Fukuro shinai. That should make it easier to locate how toīs and even webshops that sells them ( ex http://www.yamatobudogu.com/Fukuro_S...-s18001-02.htm )
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
Location: Rochester, NY
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 83
United_States
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Quote:
Alejandro Jimenez wrote: View Post
Oohps. Searching for the terms "shinai suede cover" google points me that those were sold by Bujin Design (now closed). Bad news for me
Try here: http://www.ninecircles.co.uk/Wooden_...ecialised.aspx

They are a little shorter than the bujin shinai.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 884
United_States
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Unfortunately the Bujin shinai are no longer available. At least for the time being. Hopefully Aikido24 will have them in the near future since they now own Bujin. I have recently seen a pretty big selection of shinai and rubber bokken on Amazon.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Location: Oceanside, California
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 1,133
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Another place to try is E-Bogu. They are owned by a kendoka and have a vast array of martial arts supplies. Good service, good prices, good selection.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,639
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Quote:
Alejandro Jimenez wrote: View Post
I was wondering if somebody knows where to buy (or make if it canīt be buy) some practice bokken like those on this video. Their seem to be soft and donīt produce sound at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQJhCIu-zI
This is a "shinai", more specifically a "fukuro shinai" to distinguish it from "kendo shinai" which are uncovered.

They've been around for a long time (Yagyu Ryu and Maniwa Nen Ryu Kenjustsu, for example) but Saotome Sensei is fairly unique amingst Aikido teachers for his use of the shinai. The ones in the video are "yagyu" style and were made by Bu Jin Deisgn. Unfortuantely they are no longer available.

We get ours now from Tozando. Fukuro Shinai Not as solid as the old Bu Jin ones but adequate.

Just a word of caution... if used properly, shinai will last a long time. But if you are a "stick basher". you can literally destroy the bamboo in these in three or four days of incorrect practice.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Location: Columbia, MD
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 976
United_States
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

I am told the Yagyukai prefer to use light, thin bamboo. When you become competent at cutting, you can go an entire class without needing to replace it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,079
United_States
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Quote:
Alejandro Jimenez wrote: View Post
Oohps. Searching for the terms "shinai suede cover" google points me that those were sold by Bujin Design (now closed). Bad news for me
Frankly, I always hated those things. The problem was that people would be less careful (because of the perceived "softness"), and you actually end up getting whacked a lot more often and more painfully than with a bokuto.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,639
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Frankly, I always hated those things. The problem was that people would be less careful (because of the perceived "softness"), and you actually end up getting whacked a lot more often and more painfully than with a bokuto.

Best,

Chris
Actually, that was precisely why I like them. Folks are scared of the bokken... scared of being hit and scared of hurting someone else. So folks too often don't really commit. They are putting the breaks on before they ever reached full commitment. What I liek about shinai is that the vast majority of folks are willing to actually hity you with the shinai while they won't with a bokken. So, especially when doing wepons taking but even in your paired forms, you get a much cleaner practice because people aren't mucking up the energy by pulling their attacks. I figure its my problem if I get hit... at least my partner is willing to really try with a shinai.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,079
United_States
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Actually, that was precisely why I like them. Folks are scared of the bokken... scared of being hit and scared of hurting someone else. So folks too often don't really commit. They are putting the breaks on before they ever reached full commitment. What I liek about shinai is that the vast majority of folks are willing to actually hity you with the shinai while they won't with a bokken. So, especially when doing wepons taking but even in your paired forms, you get a much cleaner practice because people aren't mucking up the energy by pulling their attacks. I figure its my problem if I get hit... at least my partner is willing to really try with a shinai.
Weapons taking is fine - it's the paired stuff that gets me, right on the knuckles (most other places don't really bother me). That's why kendo guys (and even many koryu ken guys) wear those nice comfy gloves when they train.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
Location: Peterborough, NH
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 653
United_States
Offline
Re: Rubber bokken for practice?

Even those shinai are no joke if somebody really wallops you. We were doing a basic kata and someone got me with a yokumen--I don't know where my block was, but nowhere useful--and I was seeing stars for a minute or two. Hate to think what it would have been like if he'd had a bokken...
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Kingfisher Woodworks Enhanced Appalachian Hickory Bokken Jim Sorrentino Supplies 14 02-16-2011 07:29 PM
aikido bokken / kenjutsu ESimmons Weapons 15 06-19-2009 02:31 AM
Kingfisher and SDK supplies comparison pics JRY Weapons 8 01-15-2009 04:50 AM
bokken comparison (long post) linvincible Weapons 11 08-23-2005 02:30 PM
Further advices regarding Bokken, anyone? Daniel Brandt Weapons 23 12-05-2004 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate