Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #26
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Fully knowing it to be
A matter of life and death before us (don't drink and drive),
We may choose to withdraw
But the "lost friend" will not allow it.
Kanpai (cheers) to all friends and deities!!

- Morihei Ueshiba on a new year's eve
Sounds more like a poem from alcoholics anonymous. Quite apt.

G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #27
Mario Tobias
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 252
Philippines
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

My 2 cents worth.

If you get into a fight, there's only a small chance you will win since there are millions of people out there that are better than you physically.

In order to have higher probability of you coming out of a fight in one piece, the point of Aikido/Aiki I think is to remove "YOU" and any part of you(regarded as weak) from the picture entirely and totally rely on/utilize the natural forces to be on your side when a fight ensues. When I say natural forces, it is the physical laws (ie gravity, use of levers, conversion of potential energy to kinetic, zero work, etc.) where all masses no matter how big or strong will succumb to these forces. That is why even a small person can control a very large person if he has good understanding of the physical laws and how to use these to his advantage.

The more "YOU" get in the picture, the lesser Aikido you are doing and the weaker you become. IMHO, you are just the "medium" neither attacking nor defending but you have something more powerful on your side you are using to control uke. If you start attacking or defending, then Aikido's potency will be diminished since part of "YOU" now will come into the picture. Maybe Osensei said Aikido doesn't have enemies because everybody succumbs to the natural laws?

Thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
Alberto_Italiano
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 296
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
From famous quotes to debates on what is meant by 'no enemies'

For me from an Aikido perspective I too have no enemies and taking that view into life in it's fullness leads to a better perspective on people and life and living.

So allow me to share my view and the spiritual basis of it and may you too never be the same again ha, ha.

Basics and truth. In truth spiritually we are all basically good, we are all basically loving, we are all basically kind, we all desire that all powerful active state of peace.

Thus basically we are all friends, all connected, all in oneness and co-existence.

Thus a person attacking me I do not see as an enemy for I see the truth, I know the truth, I am at one with the truth.

So what do I see?

I see a long lost friend.

Of course this person is not acting as such, their actions towards me be they vindictive or physically life threatening are real and bring me into action. But such are the actions of the lost. Lost souls.

So see not enemies but only lost friends and thus see the need for realignment, rehabillitation, restoration, the effect of divine techniques.

So enter the space of a true Aikidoka with malicious intent then you are entering a space of not punishment but rescue from your lost self.

Such is Aikido to me and hopefully to many.

Regards.G.
This is, indeed, the best way to fight: impersonal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

Quote:
Mario Tobias wrote: View Post
My 2 cents worth.

If you get into a fight, there's only a small chance you will win since there are millions of people out there that are better than you physically.

In order to have higher probability of you coming out of a fight in one piece, the point of Aikido/Aiki I think is to remove "YOU" and any part of you(regarded as weak) from the picture entirely and totally rely on/utilize the natural forces to be on your side when a fight ensues. When I say natural forces, it is the physical laws (ie gravity, use of levers, conversion of potential energy to kinetic, zero work, etc.) where all masses no matter how big or strong will succumb to these forces. That is why even a small person can control a very large person if he has good understanding of the physical laws and how to use these to his advantage.

The more "YOU" get in the picture, the lesser Aikido you are doing and the weaker you become. IMHO, you are just the "medium" neither attacking nor defending but you have something more powerful on your side you are using to control uke. If you start attacking or defending, then Aikido's potency will be diminished since part of "YOU" now will come into the picture. Maybe Osensei said Aikido doesn't have enemies because everybody succumbs to the natural laws?

Thoughts?
Actually that statement is useful for a fighter. When mentioning O'Senseis quote and thus Aikido I would say quite the opposite is true regarding less you. (less ego, yes)

In other words as you understand more the universal laws and become imbued with them then you actually become more you.

In becoming more thetrue you then you become more and more in tune, stable, in harmony with whatever is in front of you no matter what it is or what it's doing.

Thus you realize that the only one you were ever fighting was yourself.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #30
SeiserL
 
SeiserL's Avatar
Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
Location: Roswell, GA USA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 3,711
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

Idealistically, I am working towards not perceiving others as my enemy.

Ideologically, many still see me as their's.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Location: Sydney
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 120
Australia
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Idealistically, I am working towards not perceiving others as my enemy.

Ideologically, many still see me as their's.
Until they take another loook at why the expected reactions aren't forthcoming, perhaps.

The world changes when you do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #32
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Aikido has no enemies

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Idealistically, I am working towards not perceiving others as my enemy.

Ideologically, many still see me as their's.
Hardly ideologically.

If you are indeed working towards not perceiving others as your enemy, idealistic and admirable, then the reality will be a reflection of such and thus ideologically less will see you as their enemy.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Martial Ineffectiveness dps General 148 08-20-2012 09:15 AM
My Experiences in Cross Training MMA with Aikido Reuben General 122 02-10-2010 04:39 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 6 Peter Goldsbury Columns 35 03-13-2009 06:16 PM
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 08:31 AM
Omoto-kyo Theology senshincenter Spiritual 77 12-04-2005 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate