Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2002, 11:09 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Lightbulb ...just an amusing observation

~~Yesterday I dropped my comb. No big deal. I looked down for it and it had vanished, fell into a black hole! It should have been right there around my feet...and then it came to me. This comb was blue whereas in my mind I was holding the image of my beige comb. Once I made this simple mental adjustment the spot I was staring at coalesced, as if by magic, into my comb.
~~I had to laugh...and wonder: How much of my life is spent looking at the moment through my preconceptions and anticipations. I believe one and all will see the correlation
with training...

~~Paula~~
Old 09-14-2002, 11:45 AM   #2
Duarh
i always feel dumb when stuff like this happens to me, both in life and in training. especially in the latter - i always think, duh, it was there ALL THE TIME. . .the beginner's mind is impossible
Old 09-15-2002, 12:32 AM   #3
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
This definitely rates up there with the "Where the hell are my glasses?" complaint. Only to realize they are, a) on your own darn head, or b) in your hand.

My teacher told me once that we all look at the world through "stained glasses of experience", that our life and its events mold our perceptions of reality. We expect a blue comb because we've used it for a long time, but we don't see the beige comb. We see someone attacking us, but we really don't see the needy holding out his empty hand.

This, to me, is a much better rationalization than my usual response: DOH!

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 09-15-2002, 06:04 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
For me this is the most important realisation in life - seeing things as they are and not as we hope or expect them to be. Once you do that you can cope with the actual difficulty, and not try and fit the problem into some preordained problem. (i.e. 'true observation' in Buddhism) Also, in aikido, dealing with what uke is actually doing, and not what you hope of expected him to do!

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-15-2002, 08:39 AM   #5
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
This rates with sitting out the class to learn more than doing the class.

Often the phrase of doing is not always the correct way of connecting the minds eye to the actual motions that occur during practice. Having someone film your practice is one way of seeing what you do verses what you think you do. Erasing the visual preconceptions of what you think, verses what is right in front of you.

The color of a comb is one way of getting a new vision of what is there, verses thinking what should be there.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:15 AM   #6
akiy

I remember a teacher of mine who was taking demonstration ukemi from a high ranking shihan during a seminar. After one of the techniques, the shihan talked briefly with her so she was "late" in getting a parner. She turned around from facing the shomen/kamidana and saw a bunch of people doing absolutely nothing like what she had felt from him.

At that point, she realized why he seemed somewhat frustrated at times at people not quite "getting" what he was trying to show. There was a distinct disconnect between what they were seeing and what they were doing...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-15-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
...a high ranking shihan....he seemed somewhat frustrated at times at people not quite "getting" what he was trying to show. There was a distinct disconnect between what they were seeing and what they were doing...
Was the SHIHAN in question a teacher per se or a facilitator of stealing?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 09-15-2002, 02:54 PM   #8
akiy

Hi Don,

I like the phrase, "facilitator of stealing." The shihan in question, in my mind, is more the latter. I've heard he'd once taught a weekend "beginners seminar" that went over the heads of most beginners.

But, you bring up a good point of how a teacher teaches. Personally, I prefer "facilitators of stealing" myself moreso than the "foot here, hand here" approach. I'm not saying the former is "better," of course -- just that it fits my thinking better and that it tickles my interest more.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:54 AM   #9
Alfonso
re: the comb

i think the "blue comb" is really at the heart of my vision of Aikido. Aikido practice to me is a mental adjust to recognize the opponent as a chance to build something fun.. and not an enemy. That switch turns conflict into something else.

hm. I'm going to have to think about his more..

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!