Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Ellis Amdur
Notice of New Article

I've posted the following article at Aikido Journal:

“A Consideration of Aikido Practice within the Context of Internal Training,”

It is intended as a follow-up on Hidden in Plain Sight, I hope, in this article, to link aikido "as is" with the subject of training in aiki. In other words, how can those who love all of aikido - the technique, the "ideology," the flowing practice, the moral vision, the community - integrate this with internal power training.

Note, too, that this article is in the member's section. You have to pay - a tiny amount - to get access to the entire site. Without Stanley Pranin's work, there would be no "plain sight" to HIPS. The initial quotation that heads the article is a perfect example of what, through Stanley's work, we would otherwise not have access to. In that brief paragraph is a summation of how Ueshiba Morihei defined his own work as his students should use it.

Speaking with Stan, he hopes to use this new site as an archive of the rooms full of research that has not yet seen the light of day. Personally, I would have gotten nowhere in my own work in this area without Stanley, and his further work is worth supporting: not only out of gratitude, but in order to make more information, that would otherwise never see the light of day, available to the world.

Best
Ellis Amdur

Last edited by Ellis Amdur : 09-18-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Notice of New Article

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
I've posted the following article at Aikido Journal:
Thank you, Ellis. I saw it a couple days ago and it prompted me to renew my long expired membership.

Regards,

Last edited by tarik : 09-18-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 09-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Excellant article - a must read for anyone that is interested in internal skills - goes into many facets of how to approach that type of training regardless of your background or organizational affiliation.

Greg
Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Always a thought provoking read.
Compliments and appreciation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Autrelle Holland

Mr. Amdur, when is the next DVD coming out?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Ellis Amdur

Autrelle - I really don't know. I had a plan for a DVD on vectors within aikido techniques, but when I started training in IT methods, it receded in importance. (I now don't see that what I have to offer in the area of "vector analysis" is of enough intrinsic value in itself. So the answer to that one is "maybe someday."

The only other DVD I'm planning is for evasion of attack and physical restraint methods in social services contexts. I probably WILL do something in that area in the next year or so.

Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Autrelle Holland

Okay cool. Your ukemi dvd literally saved my life. I wrote about that on a review for your dvd. Perhaps I'll get a copy of Old School. Where is the best place to get it from you?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Ellis Amdur

Autrelle-

DVD and books HERE

And for those who are interested, books on verbal de-escalation of aggression. HERE (Although profession specific, those outside the professions concerned have written me how effective the general information is.

Ellis

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com