Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #151
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
And I forgot... Don't forget to have HAVE FUN! As a wise man once told me....I ain't never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul.

William Hazen
LOL

dps
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #152
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
But can anybody be deemed a wise man who believes that what Starbucks brews is actually a decent cup of coffee?
Almost any free coffee is good enough coffee.

dps
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #153
Thomas Campbell
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 407
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
i can relate to that sentiment. history is ok, but it's more interesting for me on "how do this stuffs work?", how to train for it? (please none of those love and joining methods. been there, done that and have children to prove it!) and how soon can i get Howie into fishing rehab clinics?
I agree with the general sentiment that our training today is more important than the fables of yesteryear--but if you are going to cite history, the history should be correct, insofar as it can be known. And as for the particular type of historical marketing known as lineage, some lineages likely do not have the internal skill sets being sought or the teaching methods to convey them. That is part of history and a substantial theme in this thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #154
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Universal love, oneness, oneness, transmission of harmony. How can I learn this through breathing? Wow! YOu should do seminars here in Japan, Graham. I think you are on to something groundbreaking here.
Universal love is indeed your spiritual breathing. Those who only think in terms of mind (analytical data, tachnical, historical etc.) and body therefore are blind to the truth. But there's hope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #155
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Is it lineage that we are pursuing? Or is it getting a good handle on what these men were doing themselves to get it?
I enjoy some of the discovery and placement of the arts, but when it comes down to it, its not about the who's who, it's about what's what. I think it's going to be interesting if we can get some better translations done to see if there are even more known and established methods being discussed and or shown by these men. I think it says even more for aikido rather than against it.
Cheers
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #156
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,796
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Almost any free coffee is good enough coffee.

dps
blaspheme! actually, I said the same thing to Ikeda sensei one time. he looked at me like i have two heads. of course, he then convinced me to get an espresso machine. i believed he mentioned something along the line of good aikido comes from good coffee. i don't think O Sensei ever had any coffee so his aikido couldn't be that good, contrary to popular belief. i am sure this fact has been hidden in plain sight somewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #157
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
blaspheme! actually, I said the same thing to Ikeda sensei one time. he looked at me like i have two heads. of course, he then convinced me to get an espresso machine. i believed he mentioned something along the line of good aikido comes from good coffee. i don't think O Sensei ever had any coffee so his aikido couldn't be that good, contrary to popular belief. i am sure this fact has been hidden in plain sight somewhere.
You might be onto something there. Didn't Dong Haichuan start a whole new martial art based on serving tea at a crowded diner.

O'Sensei work at a Japanese Starbucks or was it Caribou Coffee?

dps

Last edited by dps : 08-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #158
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Is it lineage that we are pursuing? Or is it getting a good handle on what these men were doing themselves to get it?
I enjoy some of the discovery and placement of the arts, but when it comes down to it, its not about the who's who, it's about what's what. I think it's going to be interesting if we can get some better translations done to see if there are even more known and established methods being discussed and or shown by these men. I think it says even more for aikido rather than against it.
Cheers
Dan
I like the statement in bold above - it segregates the subjective personalities from the objective substance - kind of like the statement: "It is what it is" - of course, the big question is, just what 'It' really is - just got to have fun in the exploration

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #159
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Universal love is indeed your spiritual breathing. Those who only think in terms of mind (analytical data, tachnical, historical etc.) and body therefore are blind to the truth. But there's hope.
Hi Graham, buddy, how are things going? Just a couple of things I like to pass your way.

First, a few of your posts lately have somewhat implied that those on the IP/IT path were all about the physical - that is not really the way it is - actually, there is substantially more mental stuff going on than the physical, which is really just an outward manifestation of the internal stuff going on.

The other thing is about your spiritual breathing comment above - it implies that those that have an analytical and technical approach are missing something, not necessarily true - I am a technical person and I am extremely logical and analytical on everything - however, I have found that the most accurate approach to determining what is right or wrong is how it feels - now I do not consider that spiritual or religious, but it is not really a technical analysis either - some may place that on a non-religious spiritual or emotional level.

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #160
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,796
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
The other thing is about your spiritual breathing comment above - it implies that those that have an analytical and technical approach are missing something, not necessarily true -
Greg
come on, Greg! just admit that we are missing something. the whole analytical process implies that we are searching for things, right? if we are searching for things, which mean we don't have it, which mean we are missing something, right? now, Graham doesn't need to search for things, because he has them; thus, he is no longer need the analytical or technical, just spiritual is enough. so just admit it, that us lowly nobs are still in the weed and smoking. sometimes, my analogy runs away from me so i have to go about searching for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #161
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
come on, Greg! just admit that we are missing something. the whole analytical process implies that we are searching for things, right? if we are searching for things, which mean we don't have it, which mean we are missing something, right? now, Graham doesn't need to search for things, because he has them; thus, he is no longer need the analytical or technical, just spiritual is enough. so just admit it, that us lowly nobs are still in the weed and smoking. sometimes, my analogy runs away from me so i have to go about searching for it.
Yes, there is truth in that smoke

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #162
Lorel Latorilla
Location: Osaka
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 311
Japan
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Universal love is indeed your spiritual breathing. Those who only think in terms of mind (analytical data, tachnical, historical etc.) and body therefore are blind to the truth. But there's hope.
Can you do seminars on spiritual breathing? Id like to take your classes.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #163
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Location: Freiburg
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 308
Germany
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post

Hi Nicholas,

Hope you're doing well and training hard. Personally, I'm not saying I definitely know what Morihei Ueshiba's aikido was. I'm saying that his aikido was very different than Modern Aikido and I'm pointing out areas where I think that is so.

I also think there are similarities. The techniques, in a general sense, seem to be similar. The message of love and harmony is close. Projecting your attacker rather than dealing a death blow at one's feet is similar. Use of jujutsu principles are similar.

I may be over-reaching, I may be harsh, I might even be wrong, but I'm always open to new information, ideas, and opinions. If you have information that points to where my comparisons, correlations, ideas, or views are wrong, I'd love to hear it.

Or look at it my way for a second. I've put together tons of information from various sources that sheds light that what Ueshiba was doing was not what his Modern Aikido students were doing, that Kisshomaru and Tohei changed things, that shows Ueshiba still doing stock Daito ryu techniques, that Ueshiba's peers did similar demonstrations, that translations were skewed by personal biases, etc, etc, etc and mostly what I receive in responses/posts are things like: I think (without any supporting evidence), it all looks the same so it must be the same (without any supporting evidence), you shouldn't assume x is y (but without any supporting evidence), etc.

Not that I'm taking any of the responses as negatives. Not at all. I just don't see very much evidence to contradict the stuff I've put out there. People can say that the stuff I put out there is anecdotal, indirect, and circumstantial (and I agree that it is), but I have not seen very many instances of someone posting something that contradicts it.
Mark
Hi Mark,
I am not disputing your anecdotal, indirect and circumstantial evidence. We seem to agree that it is just that - and to be fair that is not without value at all.

Quote:
Personally, I'm not saying I definitely know what Morihei Ueshiba's aikido was.
Glad to hear that...

What I am edgy about in these discussions is historical selectivity, in conjunction with what I perceive as a recurring general delegitimation (sometimes verging on condescending belittling) of present day aikido on this forum.

For me, a valid attempt at reconstructing "Moihei Ueshiba's aikido" either encompasses the whole range of practices Ueshiba was involved in, including the religious, and farming, and so on, or it is lopsided. Maybe I misinterpret what I read here, but I do not think it is legitimate to isolate IS out of the equation and present it as the defining criterion of "Morihei Ueshiba's aikido". And when people who don't practise aikido (no matter how much I respect them personally, or appreciate their work) start to make lopsided arguments about aikido I get, as I wrote, wary. Especially when the arguments are really not that new anymore, but keep being reiterated for the sake of ... well, what would you say why you keep reiterating them?

Best

Nicholas

PS: Training hard? I try my best... my mind ist the limiting factor, unfortunately

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 08-03-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #164
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Location: Freiburg
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 308
Germany
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Well, as a History teacher you understand that "those who ignore history are....."

I see the debate not as right or wrong aikido. That's why I choose my terms and try to remain consistent Aikido™ as the standard fair approved by the aikikai, and Aiki...do.
I am aware you chose your terms carfully, and I respect that, even though I still perceive them as polemical.

For me, there is Aikido as it is practised, and the "Aiki-do" you keep talking about is, frankly, a fiction: a historical fiction, or a futurist tale. The second more interesting than the first to me personally.

Unless you say, for example, "Aiki-do" is what you do yourself - in that case it would immediately turn into a fascinating reality. But I do not think you will, will you?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
You didn't really address the points that should be indicators to a history buff. When you are researching, precedents and known terminology and and cultural norms help to understand contextual references made by a subject. You don't get very far reinventing an entirely new meaning of something said or practiced through a researchers ignorance of the subject.
Please resolve, or dispute the following:
His own students admitted they did not understand him.
His translators misunderstood well established budo terminology Ueshiba was using for a random collection of disparate words they never understood ...chained together and thus they mistranslated him.
Why did they not know the terms and their meanings? Because Ueshiba, for all his greatness, was apparently a lousy teacher.

Now....
Modern researchers and translators who understand those terms
know what he was speaking about
Aikikai banned training videos- of one of Ueshibas original deshi- demonstrate a parallel understanding to what the modern researchers are saying.
These same methods that Ueshiba Morihei espoused, Six direction awareness, heaven/earth/man, Spiral energy (with some interesting familiar references), Leading intent from dantian out to fingers, training breath-power, now properly translated and referenced into the already established and known training principles and practiced by aikido-ka teachers are being vetted that they are dramatically improving their aikido.
Care to address any of that please?
Dan
No, I do not care to adress that, because I do not disagree with you.
While I am not always so sure about the validity of many of the sources, my central issue is with the uses of history and evidence, not with the individual tidbits.

As long as it does not include, let's say, a description of what "hanging out with the Yamabushi" to give just one example, meant to the man, we do not have a valid reconstruction of "Morihei Ueshiba's aikido". And there are many similar areas. Most of us don't channel spirits, but I have yet to hear the argument that we don't do Morihei Ueshiba's aikido because of that.

To sum up, I feel that the operation of isolating one aspect of the work of Morihei Ueshiba and then claiming that whoever does not perform to an (outside!) standard in that area today is not doing his aikido is invalid. If that is not the point you or Mark are making, I am sorry I misunderstand you guys.

Anyway, I sort of feel I have stated my points already, also in my post to Mark above, not sure I will have much to add.

Best

Nicholas
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #165
MM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,996
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
While I am not always so sure about the validity of many of the sources, my central issue is with the uses of history and evidence, not with the individual tidbits.

As long as it does not include, let's say, a description of what "hanging out with the Yamabushi" to give just one example, meant to the man, we do not have a valid reconstruction of "Morihei Ueshiba's aikido". And there are many similar areas. Most of us don't channel spirits, but I have yet to hear the argument that we don't do Morihei Ueshiba's aikido because of that.

To sum up, I feel that the operation of isolating one aspect of the work of Morihei Ueshiba and then claiming that whoever does not perform to an (outside!) standard in that area today is not doing his aikido is invalid. If that is not the point you or Mark are making, I am sorry I misunderstand you guys.

Anyway, I sort of feel I have stated my points already, also in my post to Mark above, not sure I will have much to add.

Best

Nicholas
Nicholas,

I don't go into the spiritual side of Morhei Ueshiba. If I do meander that way, I do so as little as possible. It is a very complex area. Instead, I focus on the point that Morihei Ueshiba made -- you didn't have to follow his exact footsteps. He said aiki made everything better and somewhere he told one of his students that aiki would make religion better.

So, of the two things that are primary influences in Morihei Ueshiba, martial aiki and spiritual ideology, the former is a must have and can be trained while the latter can be any outside spiritual influence that is similar in ideology.

So, yet again, we find that Modern Aikido is very different than Morihei Ueshiba's aikido. Modern Aikido created a complete package of martial and spiritual while Ueshiba's aikido used Daito ryu aiki merged with Oomoto kyo ideology. Ueshiba himself said he was a man of budo and not religion. I believe it was Kisshomaru who said that his father got angry when people called him religious.

As for the spirituality side, it didn't *seem* to matter to Ueshiba if you were Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Wiccan, etc. With Ueshiba, it was an *outside* spiritual influence. With Modern Aikido, it is one complete package. (AGAIN for the masses -- NOT stating either are bad just that they are different.)

Why do I not go into the spiritual side in these posts? Because it is an open field, dependent upon each individual person to fulfill as, I believe, Morihei Ueshiba envisioned it. What most people are doing in trying to be a better person, spiritually, would fit with this ideology. Why try to include nearly every religion, every spiritual ideology into aiki? As long as you are similar in the peace, love, harmony, make the world a better place, you're good to go. On the other hand, aiki is a specific martial quality. So, most everyone is fulfilling the spiritual side of Ueshiba's aikido. Why debate that? It's pretty much a given. You study Modern Aikido, you're fulfilling Ueshiba's spiritual ideology. You might not be studying the *exact* spiritual ideology of Ueshiba, but it doesn't matter. Ueshiba said it was okay to pursue your own way.

The martial aiki from Daito ryu would make it better. Now *that* idea is a whole different thread and a subject just waiting to be explored. How can aiki make religion better?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #166
Lee Salzman
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 405
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Nicholas,

I don't go into the spiritual side of Morhei Ueshiba. If I do meander that way, I do so as little as possible. It is a very complex area. Instead, I focus on the point that Morihei Ueshiba made -- you didn't have to follow his exact footsteps. He said aiki made everything better and somewhere he told one of his students that aiki would make religion better.

So, of the two things that are primary influences in Morihei Ueshiba, martial aiki and spiritual ideology, the former is a must have and can be trained while the latter can be any outside spiritual influence that is similar in ideology.

So, yet again, we find that Modern Aikido is very different than Morihei Ueshiba's aikido. Modern Aikido created a complete package of martial and spiritual while Ueshiba's aikido used Daito ryu aiki merged with Oomoto kyo ideology. Ueshiba himself said he was a man of budo and not religion. I believe it was Kisshomaru who said that his father got angry when people called him religious.

As for the spirituality side, it didn't *seem* to matter to Ueshiba if you were Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Wiccan, etc. With Ueshiba, it was an *outside* spiritual influence. With Modern Aikido, it is one complete package. (AGAIN for the masses -- NOT stating either are bad just that they are different.)

Why do I not go into the spiritual side in these posts? Because it is an open field, dependent upon each individual person to fulfill as, I believe, Morihei Ueshiba envisioned it. What most people are doing in trying to be a better person, spiritually, would fit with this ideology. Why try to include nearly every religion, every spiritual ideology into aiki? As long as you are similar in the peace, love, harmony, make the world a better place, you're good to go. On the other hand, aiki is a specific martial quality. So, most everyone is fulfilling the spiritual side of Ueshiba's aikido. Why debate that? It's pretty much a given. You study Modern Aikido, you're fulfilling Ueshiba's spiritual ideology. You might not be studying the *exact* spiritual ideology of Ueshiba, but it doesn't matter. Ueshiba said it was okay to pursue your own way.

The martial aiki from Daito ryu would make it better. Now *that* idea is a whole different thread and a subject just waiting to be explored. How can aiki make religion better?
The example you cite where Morihei Ueshiba did not like to be called religious, could it be that he simply saw reality a bit differently than us to begin with? This is the man who saw the kami as tangible things and believed he was channeling them, no? He may regard those beliefs in the same way that he believes water is wet or the sun gives light or that mountains are fookin heavy, that they are inarguable aspects of his reality, not religious tenets of faith. So the question of whether one is Buddhist, Catholic, Protestant, Wiccan, etc. would be moot, because he could still see those inarguable tenets of his reality as manifesting regardless of which faith any practitioner chose, and that they would still be confronted with them. Just because he didn't see himself as religious doesn't mean he wasn't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #167
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Nicholas,

He said aiki made everything better and somewhere he told one of his students that aiki would make religion better.
I believe he said that Aikido not aiki would make your religion better.

dps
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #168
Demetrio Cereijo
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,915
Spain
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
The teachings of Oomoto are not those of a single sect. We don't believe, as do many established religions, that in the words of our founder we have the one and only religious truth. At Oomoto, we don't bind up and destroy people's living souls by encircling them with the steel nets and bars of doctrine and scriptures and rituals and catechisms. As a result, Christians, Buddhists and believers of other faiths from all over the world come to Oomoto, and we all work together to cultivate our spirituality and to discover religious principles in harmony with our times.

Onisaburo Deguchi, 1923
Ueshiba was simply espousing Omoto doctrine.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #169
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Hi Graham, buddy, how are things going? Just a couple of things I like to pass your way.

First, a few of your posts lately have somewhat implied that those on the IP/IT path were all about the physical - that is not really the way it is - actually, there is substantially more mental stuff going on than the physical, which is really just an outward manifestation of the internal stuff going on.

The other thing is about your spiritual breathing comment above - it implies that those that have an analytical and technical approach are missing something, not necessarily true - I am a technical person and I am extremely logical and analytical on everything - however, I have found that the most accurate approach to determining what is right or wrong is how it feels - now I do not consider that spiritual or religious, but it is not really a technical analysis either - some may place that on a non-religious spiritual or emotional level.

Greg
Yo dude. All good thanks.

My posts lately? I've said from day one the basics are spritual and real. So nothing new there.

The quotes I see are indeed to do with building such and such a body, hence physical. Based on getting the body to be able to take and give back and 'reflect' etc.etc. Physical emphasis. That's fine for it reaches the masses and then Aiki can be some physical/mental exercise.

Spiritual is not mental. The only mental process that should be going on in Aikido is making the mind still, quiet, it can't do anything but get in the way.

Do you know what feeling is? It's not physical and it's not mental. It's not even emotional. It's spiritual.

I can tell easily enough by the comments of what if someone does this to you or grabs you in such a way or uses extreme force.
They are talking physical body, they are saying you are a body.

I am not a body my friend. I have a body, it is a vessel, a very miraculous vessel, an alive vessel. I am responsible for it but I in truth am not it.

Therefore when someone says I will wrestle you to the ground it is amusing for they are saying they will wrestle centre or one point thus they are already mistaken.

Universal love is spiritual, you can spiritually feel it which just means reach it and and accept it and in so doing feel the effects on and in the body and on your own spiritual space as well as the physical space around you. It's all good and it's all real and it's Kokyu.

As far as religions go my view is that their basic forgotten responsibility is that they are meant to be there to help with a persons spiritual health, spiritual well being but being 'human' degrade into places of control and 'power' bases. Inverted to the truth of their own existence.

You know what the inversion of love is? Control my friend.

Thus you teach the power of love and people twist it and focus on control. Inverted.

Now apply that one datum to relationships and you'll see a lot of the illogical make sense. It's inverted love.

The path of Aikido as far as I'm concerned is back to true self which is a sentient harmonious being. Thus what O'Sensei said makes perfect sense to me.

Keep up the good work.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #170
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Can you do seminars on spiritual breathing? Id like to take your classes.
Lorel.
What's with all this seminar business? I don't think I would ever do one actually, I don't see the point. I see egotistical reasons. I see attempted promotional reasons. I see 'get together' given as reasons. Basically I see them as something for the dilettantes.

Even demonstrations for the most part are a waste of time wxcept from the viewpoint of inspiration. To inspire others. That's about the only good reason I can see.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #171
Tim Ruijs
 
Tim Ruijs's Avatar
Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Location: Netherlands - Leusden
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 395
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
except from the viewpoint of inspiration. To inspire others. That's about the only good reason I can see.
pretty good one I'd say.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #172
aikilouis
Location: Germany
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 218
France
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Graham, you describe your practise in very eloquent terms, but when I watch your videos (and I did several times to be sure I was not missing anything), I do not find anything that confirms the impression given in your discourse that you have reached an unusual level of understanding.

Perhaps it is me though.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #173
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Ludwig Neveu wrote: View Post
Graham, you describe your practise in very eloquent terms, but when I watch your videos (and I did several times to be sure I was not missing anything), I do not find anything that confirms the impression given in your discourse that you have reached an unusual level of understanding.

Perhaps it is me though.
Perhaps. Depends what you're looking for. Also depends what you think you are seeing.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #174
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Yo dude. All good thanks.

My posts lately? I've said from day one the basics are spritual and real. So nothing new there.

The quotes I see are indeed to do with building such and such a body, hence physical. Based on getting the body to be able to take and give back and 'reflect' etc.etc. Physical emphasis. That's fine for it reaches the masses and then Aiki can be some physical/mental exercise.

Spiritual is not mental. The only mental process that should be going on in Aikido is making the mind still, quiet, it can't do anything but get in the way.

Do you know what feeling is? It's not physical and it's not mental. It's not even emotional. It's spiritual.

I can tell easily enough by the comments of what if someone does this to you or grabs you in such a way or uses extreme force.
They are talking physical body, they are saying you are a body.

I am not a body my friend. I have a body, it is a vessel, a very miraculous vessel, an alive vessel. I am responsible for it but I in truth am not it.

Therefore when someone says I will wrestle you to the ground it is amusing for they are saying they will wrestle centre or one point thus they are already mistaken.

Universal love is spiritual, you can spiritually feel it which just means reach it and and accept it and in so doing feel the effects on and in the body and on your own spiritual space as well as the physical space around you. It's all good and it's all real and it's Kokyu.

As far as religions go my view is that their basic forgotten responsibility is that they are meant to be there to help with a persons spiritual health, spiritual well being but being 'human' degrade into places of control and 'power' bases. Inverted to the truth of their own existence.

You know what the inversion of love is? Control my friend.

Thus you teach the power of love and people twist it and focus on control. Inverted.

Now apply that one datum to relationships and you'll see a lot of the illogical make sense. It's inverted love.

The path of Aikido as far as I'm concerned is back to true self which is a sentient harmonious being. Thus what O'Sensei said makes perfect sense to me.

Keep up the good work.

Regards.G.
Hey, thanks for the reply - glad to see your still as whacky as ever, but that's cool - keep on keeping

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #175
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Depends what you're looking for. Also depends what you think you are seeing.
I think that should be your motto, Graham.

Is pendeo super quis vos es vultus pro. Is quoque pendeo super quis vos animadverto.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hidden in plain sight page 115 ewolput General 10 09-12-2010 04:31 AM
"Hidden in Plain Sight" - ukemi as a training tool jss Supplies 16 09-03-2009 02:47 AM
Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" Prepublication Sale AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 64 08-27-2009 01:15 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 10 Peter Goldsbury Columns 200 02-04-2009 06:45 AM
O'Sensei's sight suren General 5 07-28-2004 05:41 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate